Coral Vue Hydros

Premium Membership - JUST DO IT!

StevieT

I even searched cafe press.. lol.. cool beans, prolly gonna get me a new coffee mug now..

how does cafe press work? do a portion of the proceeds go back to NR?

I did as well and nothing came up. So I got the google machine out and found an old thread here with the link.

I can't say for sure but since Chris always had it linked here I would think he gets a small cut out of it. He better.

Wasn't there a Nano-Reef thong at one time?

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/350153-i-need-more-filter-floss/

• Like 1

Well I seriously doubt that anyone rakes in millions from this site, but I'd be willing to bet that it could take in way more than it costs to run it, which was my point. I've not seen N-R running any reefing events, having any speakers come to do a talk, or making donations to reefing charities, all of which your local reefing clubs usually do (in addition to running their respective web-boards).

I'm not sure N-R is non-profit. It looks like it's a business since there is no IRS non-profit classification noted that I see, which means it's being run FOR profit.

Again, just trying to be honest, not mean. It's just not entirely clear. But thanks for the discussion.

If I remember correctly this site has over 100,000 members. Worldwide. Heck I shipped a Mr. clean magic eraser to a fellow member on this site in Hong Kong.

In that Allstate insurance guy voice : "does your reef club do that?"

• Like 6

If I remember correctly this site has over 100,000 members. Worldwide. Heck I shipped a Mr. clean magic eraser to a fellow member on this site in Hong Kong. In that Allstate insurance guy voice : "does your reef club do that?"

tumblr_lyb1gdZ43O1qe2o08o1_500.gif

• Like 5

If I remember correctly this site has over 100,000 members. Worldwide. Heck I shipped a Mr. clean magic eraser to a fellow member on this site in Hong Kong. In that Allstate insurance guy voice : "does your reef club do that?"

• 4,735,784 Total Posts
  • 73,508 Total Members
  • Chardie3342 Newest Member
  • 1,468 Most Online
  • 718 users are online (in the past 30 minutes)

I'm not suggesting that anyone should go broke running a website, just noting that what a local reef club can do with their $35 membership fee appears to vastly outweigh what you get for your $24 here. Not sure why this is creating such a controversy.

I count 42 company sponsors here. How much do those sponsors pay for advertising here, I'm sure it vastly outweighs their costs. Again, can anyone answer the question of whether this site is a non-profit or a business?

Wait. You realize that this website isn't just a chunk of HTML, right? The photos and posts and domain name have to be stored somewhere, on a server (or multiple servers) where everyone can access them constantly. This isn't a slow-loading, constantly down, two-page website. It's extensive, takes up the owner's time, etc etc. I can imagine that he would want to make a profit from memberships, but it's not like the costs of running the site magically disappear. There are servers, databases, code, DNS services, etc.

Meanwhile you can log on, get codes for discounts on sponsors' websites, upload your images, log your aquarium's progress, watch others' aquariums, share expertise and research literally years of posts on whatever it is you're curious about, get to know people who have the same hobby and are able to trade, sell, or buy with/from you. It's well worth two dollars a month. My unemployed self needs to get on this.

• Like 7

Wait. You realize that this website isn't just a chunk of HTML, right? The photos and posts and domain name have to be stored somewhere, on a server (or multiple servers) where everyone can access them constantly. This isn't a slow-loading, constantly down, two-page website. It's extensive, takes up the owner's time, etc etc. I can imagine that he would want to make a profit from memberships, but it's not like the costs of running the site magically disappear. There are servers, databases, code, DNS services, etc.

Meanwhile you can log on, get codes for discounts on sponsors' websites, upload your images, log your aquarium's progress, watch others' aquariums, share expertise and research literally years of posts on whatever it is you're curious about, get to know people who have the same hobby and are able to trade, sell, or buy with/from you. It's well worth two dollars a month. My unemployed self needs to get on this.

its-science-anchorman.gif

• Like 5

research literally years of posts on whatever it is you're curious about

Over a decade's worth, actually :)

My posts from 2003 are still here somewhere. I found them not too long ago.

Pretty much everything I know about keeping a tank I learned here. :wub:

• Like 4
  • 3 months later...

Hook me up Ben. It's Christmas you know.

We know you make the big bucks.... What's a measly 25 smackers in this hobby???

Plus you'll get that warm and tingly feeling knowing you helped support the best SW web-site around!!

We know you make the big bucks.... What's a measly 25 smackers in this hobby???

Plus you'll get that warm and tingly feeling knowing you helped support the best SW web-site around!!

Big bucks :lol:
  • Like 2