Coral Vue Hydros

Premium Membership - JUST DO IT!

StevieT

My local reef club charges $35. I get two frag swaps a year, free calibration fluid, national speakers, and advice from REAL people that know what they are talking about.

And apparently do not have any entrance requirements in terms of NOT being a dick.

You can get a lot free here, and hard to argue that there are not leading experts here in terms of aquaculture, LEDs, nano/pico builds, etc.

I have literally been offered/given hundreds of dollars in free/ridiculously underpriced corals and expert help form some very smart people with awesome tanks.

Just curious, why be such a jerk on what is an overwhelmingly positive and helpful site? If you were joking (poorly), please say so.

• Like 3

Reef clubs are composed of members with different levels of experience (just like this site). You just have to decide who you want to listen to. Unfortunately some misinformation and myth will always get passed along. However, if you do enough reading, I find that you generally get reasonably accurate information from Nano-Reef.com.

Membership in a reef club and Nano-Reef are not mutually exclusive (and both can help you enjoy this hobby). You should try to support who you want to stay in business (whether it's your LFS, an online vendor, a forum, or a local club).

• Like 2

My local reef club charges $35. I get two frag swaps a year, free calibration fluid, national speakers, and advice from REAL people that know what they are talking about.

Reef clubs are subsidized by sponsorships, just like N-R. Clubs also beg for donations constantly in which they profit by holding raffles.

Nothing is free, especially when they charge $35 for "free" calibration fluid. Would you be considered a moocher if you showed up for a swap with nothing to trade?

Chris does an excellent job with N-R and I will support N-R every August 19th. Make it a great day :)

• Like 7

And apparently do not have any entrance requirements in terms of NOT being a dick.

You can get a lot free here, and hard to argue that there are not leading experts here in terms of aquaculture, LEDs, nano/pico builds, etc.

I have literally been offered/given hundreds of dollars in free/ridiculously underpriced corals and expert help form some very smart people with awesome tanks.

Just curious, why be such a jerk on what is an overwhelmingly positive and helpful site? If you were joking (poorly), please say so.

I wasn't trying to be a dick, I was just being honest. Seems like alot of money. IMO local reef clubs are a much better investment.

Also, local reef clubs are usually non-profits and tax deductible. They often give back to the community and/or support native reef restoration or aquaculture projects. Their finances are public. What about this site? Is it someone's business, or a non-profit? How much money do they rake in from advertising and memberships?

How much money do they rake in from advertising and memberships?

Millions, Chris and I fly around on the private jet every weekend raping the ocean of corals that we chop up and sell for more profits.

Not-for-profit does not mean they need no income. Which I explained how they achieve that above. This is a happy thread.

• Like 7

Reef clubs are subsidized by sponsorships, just like N-R. Clubs also beg for donations constantly in which they profit by holding raffles.

Nothing is free, especially when they charge $35 for "free" calibration fluid. Would you be considered a moocher if you showed up for a swap with nothing to trade?

Chris does an excellent job with N-R and I will support N-R every August 19th. Make it a great day :)

Thanks SteeeeeeevieTeeeee , I've got January 14th covered. :)

CM should be well fed that day.

• Like 2

Millions, Chris and I fly around on the private jet every weekend raping the ocean of corals that we chop up and sell for more profits.

Not-for-profit does not mean they need no income. Which I explained how they achieve that above. This is a happy thread.

can always count on stevie to make me lol :lol:

and yes, regarless of tax status you have to make a profit to keep going, many people don't seem to understand that (speaking as an accountant for a non-profit)...

Well I seriously doubt that anyone rakes in millions from this site, but I'd be willing to bet that it could take in way more than it costs to run it, which was my point. I've not seen N-R running any reefing events, having any speakers come to do a talk, or making donations to reefing charities, all of which your local reefing clubs usually do (in addition to running their respective web-boards).

I'm not sure N-R is non-profit. It looks like it's a business since there is no IRS non-profit classification noted that I see, which means it's being run FOR profit.

Again, just trying to be honest, not mean. It's just not entirely clear. But thanks for the discussion.

Well I seriously doubt that anyone rakes in millions from this site, but I'd be willing to bet that it could take in way more than it costs to run it, which was my point. I've not seen N-R running any reefing events, having any speakers come to do a talk, or making donations to reefing charities, all of which your local reefing clubs usually do (in addition to running their respective web-boards).

I'm not sure N-R is non-profit. It looks like it's a business since there is no IRS non-profit classification noted that I see, which means it's being run FOR profit.

Again, just trying to be honest, not mean. It's just not entirely clear. But thanks for the discussion.

does it really matter? he's not forcing anyone to pay anything, you have the choice to donate if you want to or not.. it could be a pay to play website, but then you'd still have the choice to go elsewhere.. you're really comparing apples to oranges imo.. are you saying he should lose money to keep this site going? what incentive would he have to keep it going then?

• Like 1

Reef clubs are composed of members with different levels of experience (just like this site). You just have to decide who you want to listen to. Unfortunately some misinformation and myth will always get passed along. However, if you do enough reading, I find that you generally get reasonably accurate information from Nano-Reef.com.

Membership in a reef club and Nano-Reef are not mutually exclusive (and both can help you enjoy this hobby). You should try to support who you want to stay in business (whether it's your LFS, an online vendor, a forum, or a local club).

I whole-heartedly concur. Support the place/entity that allows you to more easily enjoy this amazing hobby. For me, that's here on N-R.com because it's wicked convenient. I work a lot, and going to local clubs' meetings can be a bear. Here, you can plop a question down and check back at your leisure for advice.

Why throw stones anyway, GlassHouse? Seems like you're sitting in the wrong place to do that! lol (<<*wink wink* get the punny?) you're obviously trolling our forum for something... well, I hope that you've found some useful information here (just don't go sharing it with your reef club! jk)

Anyway, I'd like to thank you because you "trying to [not] be a dick" reminded me that I've been a dick for NOT paying for a premium membership! lol Sooo, I'm now on the August 19th StevieT train for renewal and I wanted to take this moment to extend my appreciation to Chris Marks for creating/maintaining this site and to StevieT for creating (and reminding us of) this thread. :)

• Like 1

does it really matter? he's not forcing anyone to pay anything, you have the choice to donate if you want to or not.. it could be a pay to play website, but then you'd still have the choice to go elsewhere.. you're really comparing apples to oranges imo.. are you saying he should lose money to keep this site going? what incentive would he have to keep it going then?

I'm not suggesting that anyone should go broke running a website, just noting that what a local reef club can do with their $35 membership fee appears to vastly outweigh what you get for your $24 here. Not sure why this is creating such a controversy.

I count 42 company sponsors here. How much do those sponsors pay for advertising here, I'm sure it vastly outweighs their costs. Again, can anyone answer the question of whether this site is a non-profit or a business?

I'm not suggesting that anyone should go broke running a website, just noting that what a local reef club can do with their $35 membership fee appears to vastly outweigh what you get for your $24 here. Not sure why this is creating such a controversy.

I count 42 company sponsors here. How much do those sponsors pay for advertising here, I'm sure it vastly outweighs their costs. Again, can anyone answer the question of whether this site is a non-profit or a business?

:blink: a "non profit" is still a business that has to make a profit to stay in business, a tax status doesn't somehow make the business any more ethical or whatever you are implying.. I think you should take a business class or two.. being non profit doesn't somehow make you not a business, go ask any church or hospital if you don't believe me..

I don't understand what the problem is, don't donate, move along and give to your local club.. stop making a stink about nothing.. or go start your own non-profit forum..

Let me break it down for you...

None of the business dealings are any of your ####ing business.

You are not obliges to pay ANYTHING here, but some consider it paying it forward for awesome services rendered.

• Like 4

Why throw stones anyway, GlassHouse? Seems like you're sitting in the wrong place to do that! lol (<<*wink wink* get the punny?) you're obviously trolling our forum for something... well, I hope that you've found some useful information here (just don't go sharing it with your reef club! jk)

Not trolling. Just stopped by as I sometimes do. Was genuinely shocked to see that it was $24 bucks to be a member here. Looks like a nice little side business for someone.

Sooo, I'm now on the August 19th StevieT train for renewal and I wanted to take this moment to extend my appreciation to Chris Marks for creating/maintaining this site and to StevieT for creating (and reminding us of) this thread.

Atta boy

thumbs_up.jpg

• Like 4

Not trolling. Just stopped by as I sometimes do. Was genuinely shocked to see that it was $24 bucks to be a member here. Looks like a nice little side business for someone.

it's not $24 to be a memer, you ARE A MEMBER AND PAID NOTHING!! it's absolutely free to be a member, you can be a "premium member" by donating some money to keep the site going and provide the owner some incentive to keep it going..

Once I get $24 I'll get it!

Can I disable that banner under your av once i get it?

you can do that now with the exception of moderators iirc.. derp, I thought you were talking about under sigs, not under avatars.. I have no clue if you can disable the "I support nr" banner or not..

• Like 1

it's not $24 to be a memer, you ARE A MEMBER AND PAID NOTHING!! it's absolutely free to be a member, you can be a "premium member" by donating some money to keep the site going and provide the owner some incentive to keep it going..

FIXED: Not trolling. Just stopped by as I sometimes do. Was genuinely shocked to see that it was $24 bucks to be a PREMIUM member here. Looks like a nice little side business for someone.

EDIT: Didn't mean to start a firestorm. Apparently some people are more than happy to spend $24 to be a Premium Member at this site. I'll probably stick to my local reefing club. All good.

Chris devotes most of his time here (when we're not on the private jet), it's hardly a side gig. Which is why it is nice to support his efforts in keeping this place clean and modern and best of all fun.

I wonder if he still has N-R gear. I got fat and my shirt no longer fits :(

• Like 2

Chris devotes most of his time here (when we're not on the private jet), it's hardly a side gig. Which is why it is nice to support his efforts in keeping this place clean and modern and best of all fun.

I wonder if he still has N-R gear. I got fat and my shirt no longer fits.

never knew there was nr gear, I'd buy a mug or a t-shirt for sure..