inTank Media Baskets

Amano Styled Coldwater Tank

AquaticEngineer

Dr.Brain Coral

I went to Wegmans and looked at the lobster tank they have there and from what I can see from the outside it holds about 50 gallon and is 1/2 to 1 inch acrylic(not exaggerating!!) a skimmer built in and for light uses power compacts or t5s or something so it's perfect for me :D I know I am getting my hopes up but I even have the perfect place for it in my room with a little chair so I can read and look at my tank.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dr.Brain Coral

I found this cool article Stu about the diet of navanax and the guy talked about how certain times off the year the navanax's belly would all be full of these fish that come to where the navanax are in the article and during that time they were like its main food source. I thought you might find that cool.

AquaticEngineer

Okay that's awesome. They are convinced that since it's a chiller it would cost as much as a refrigerator chiller to run.

It all depends on the size of the chiller and how well insulated the system is.

Here's a great comparison chart of how much power common household appliances use.

http://www.donrowe.com/usage-chart-a/259.htm

For example, most standard refrigerators use between 500-750 watts to cool their interior when they are running.

Dr.Brain Coral

They were unfased by the chillers actual cost and when I first started this hobby they were barely letting me do a regular reef tank but I changed my mind on them a couple times which wasn't fair to them so I will not be doing a coldwater tank :( I will for sure be doing a coldwater tank when I am out of the house so you better still be able to get me a navanax in a few years ;) Ill still be following this tank though.

AquaticEngineer

You should be able to have a LFS that carries brightwell products order it in for you. We will be carrying it after they unveil it at MACNA.

• 4 months later...
AquaticEngineer
Did a little rearranging of the rocks in the tank and replaced a bunch of the rubble substrate with beach sand.

The best part is that my kids are leaving the open top alone now! Yay! No more ugly covers on it!!

Time to load it up like a tidepool now :D

1600996_10152552377956056_21801595500802

AquaticEngineer

Looks awesome buddy :).

Best part is watching the flounders from the top down. Gonna get a bunch of sand burrowing moonglow anemones that look like this next :D

moonglow_anemone_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Since this tank came from Red Lobster, why not put a lobster in it? It doesn't surprise me that Red Lobster is going belly up. The food is absolutely horrible. The lobster is a tasteless white blob. The scallops are tasteless white blobs. The shrimp would be tasteless blobs if it weren't for the ton of garlic they swim in.

AquaticEngineer

Oh yeah its still chugging along :)I'll see if I can get some pics up of the most recent fish additions.

• 3 weeks later...
AquaticEngineer

Took me for ever to finally update with some pics, but here are some nice ones from when I had it packed to the gills with green anemones :)

post-27219-0-22212600-1434583200_thumb.jpg

post-27219-0-71565400-1434583215_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
AquaticEngineer

Yup species is Anthias anthias. Comes from deep water near the Azure Islands. He's gotten quite bold now and swims about the tank with no fear, even schools around with my two Blacksmith chromis :)

AquaticEngineer

It reminds me of an anthia

It is an anthias :) Common name is Swallowtail sea perch or Splendid sea perch, but its scientific name is Anthias anthias.

Archived