inTank Media Baskets

Amano Styled Coldwater Tank

AquaticEngineer

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats were most of them came from :)

It will be a very tidepool styled tank when its finally done with rock and anemones and starfish. I have 2 other coldwater tanks in side the house and another 600 gallons of holding system in the garage so I got room to play around with different biotopes :)

That would make sense then. I'm always on the mobile version of NR and it doesn't show location in profiles. My dad and brother live in Corvallis and Portland respectively and both enjoy fishing and diving on the coast.

As of 9 minutes ago it is now my birthday :) And the tank is up and running and fully cycled since I plumbed it into the existing 500+ gallon holding system in the garage. Still gotta bang out another 50w light for it but its going.

temporary_zpsa4e38880.jpg

Is that a picture frame tank above it? This looks promising can't wait to watch

AquaticEngineer

How do you keep the 600 gallon system cool?

I have a 3/4HP chiller plumbed in underneath the house that does the bulk of the work and there is a 1/2HP chiller built into the lobster tank. I have the 3/4 horse set to chill to 57F and the indoor one as a backup set at 60F. There is about a 3 degree thermal gain on the inside tank, so right now the garage system is running 56.4 and the inside system is at 59.2 so neither of the chillers come on at all for most of the year until the outdoor temps here get above 60 which is May or so.

That would make sense then. I'm always on the mobile version of NR and it doesn't show location in profiles. My dad and brother live in Corvallis and Portland respectively and both enjoy fishing and diving on the coast.

My little bro lives in Corvallis and is going to OSU. He goes diving out in Newport quite often :D

Is that a picture frame tank above it? This looks promising can't wait to watch

lt is :) Only has native freshwater animals from the stream next to my house right now. Haven't decided if I want to keep that one native or not yet.

AquaticEngineer

Wow w here did you get that picture frame tank i need one

Its from a company called Aquabella.

Very cool build. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Thanks :) I actually managed to get another 5 gallon bucket of substrate washed off and in the tank yesterday. Now if I can just stop cannibalizing the lights on this tank for other projects I might actually finish it someday,lol.

• 1 month later...
AquaticEngineer

I am sooooo lazy on this tank now, lol. All I need to do is get my Kessil Knock offs built and over it and its done. I have it plumbed into my main holding system so its being used more like a flow through holding tank for starfish and urchins and such.

My nano tank has stolen away all my enthusiasm for the big one it seems :D

I'm going to be re-plumbing the main holding system in my garage tomorrow to add in some more large holding bins. I will probably take this take off of the main system after that and just leave the drain line plumbed as an emergency overflow line.

• 2 months later...
AquaticEngineer

Not a whole lot going on, added a lot more rock to the tank and its slowly gathering some permanent residents that either wont be sold or cant be sold.

I'd like to leave it open top, but I just don't trust my kids around it yet. It would definitely make for a more stunning display. Someday I'm sure :D

Not a whole lot going on, added a lot more rock to the tank and its slowly gathering some permanent residents that either wont be sold or cant be sold.

I'd like to leave it open top, but I just don't trust my kids around it yet. It would definitely make for a more stunning display. Someday I'm sure :D

Any pics???

• 3 weeks later...
AquaticEngineer
Finally got the other light done :) Just waiting for the water to clear up a bit now after cleaning.

temporary_zps8becbb70.jpg

Dr.Brain Coral

Is this tank big enough for the sharks you have on your site? that would be an awesome tank if it is. but hey this will be awesome either way. :D

AquaticEngineer

Is this tank big enough for the sharks you have on your site? that would be an awesome tank if it is. but hey this will be awesome either way. :D

I wish it was :) This one will eventually be open topped once my kids are old enough to stay out of it. Its only 71” L x 31”W x 20”H so not quite big enough for the sharks, but its looped into the rest of my holding tanks so it has about 600 gallons total water volume on the system.

AquaticEngineer

okay I thought this tank was 600 on its own.

This tank is about 140 gallons by itself.

Couple more pictures I took today, I wish I could run in open top :(
10410394_10152230577951056_5203290644028
10455129_10152230575916056_1109547566601
10463880_10152230573726056_5344500262356
10361309_10152230572001056_4313672132537
AquaticEngineer

Nothing that great to take pictures of, just a bunch of anemones and inverts that no one else in the world keeps except public aquariums and a handful of super cool people :P

I'll see if I can get out my Canon tomorrow and get some good shots. It'll be a bit more impressive after this weekends -2 ft tide :D

sweet tank! there's an old marineland lobster life support system at my work not being used. it's more of a cube and taller. i keep offering them $500 but i get rejected. i always thought it would make a great aquarium. i'm happy to see it work out for you. i'll be following.

Archived