Coral Vue Hydros

Amano Styled Coldwater Tank

AquaticEngineer

AquaticEngineer

Mine is in the basement, so I could couldnt care less. I have a 125 and a 210 splashing into a 125 sump and a 5 foot skimmer. Now my living room display ( in progress) will have to be quite as a mouse pissing on a cotton ball :)

Ditto. This tank is going to be in my living room, and if I'm gonna make it happen I'll have to tip toe like a mouse pissing on cotton balls right now so that my wife doesn't exnay the whole thing. Gotta be perfect the first time or it wont happen, luckily I have a knack for forcefully making stars align when necessary.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AquaticEngineer

My system is kinda noisy! Mainly from the old school chiller but otherwise having it in the living room allows for so much more enjoyment:)

Also, I think it would have been nearly impossible to put that thing in your basement, lol.
AquaticEngineer

More paint :)

Got the final color on it today, Brown Alpaca. Matches in the interior room its going into and then it gets white baseboard trim added.

temporary_zpsff49da40.jpg

Blacked out the back panel so its stainless on black like the wall mount above it.

temporary_zps79ad03a4.jpg

AquaticEngineer

Got the back completely blacked out and finished.

Also did the waterfall return in black so it blends with the background and the dual overflows.

Pulled the masking tape off since I'm finished with paint now.

Just a few touch ups and still need to add the hardware on the front door panels because the magnets are strong enough that I cant pull the panels off without reaching in from one of the sides and pushing them out. So I grabbed some brushed nickel 18" bar handles for the the two front panels at Lowes today.

Lobstertankwithpaintjpg1jpg4_zps42ee3051

Lobstertankwithpaintjpg2_zps7477ba0c.jpg

Lobstertankwithpaintjpg3_zpsb7741cbc.jpg

Lobstertankwithpaintjpg1_zpsff5012d5.jpg

AquaticEngineer

Wow that's looking sweet!! I bet your chomping at the bit to get that bad boy wet

Totally! I have arrange a day that I can get like 5 more guys to help me move it though. I ended up skipping out on doing the white base trim, it just looked like to much going on with the front of the tank once I had it on there.

I did however opt to utilize the hole that the sump level indicator light used to go in and made it a little bigger, squared it out, and stuck this in there all flush mounted with a probe to the sump :D

533243_599744746743689_1726119175_n.jpg

1187055_599744733410357_1962164396_n.jpg

Man, this is gonna be the Mona Lisa of private temperate aquaria! I still think you should throw in a few Calico's. Caught one this weekend while shark fishing and they're pretty nice looking.

AquaticEngineer

Man, this is gonna be the Mona Lisa of private temperate aquaria! I still think you should throw in a few Calico's. Caught one this weekend while shark fishing and they're pretty nice looking.

There will definitely be some rockfish in there :) I have 3 Juvenile Yellow Tail Rockfish and a Juvenile Vermillion in the holding tanks right now. We shipped off 3 juvenile Treefish to singapore a couple weeks ago and they were unbelievable.

Oh WOW !!!! That thing is awesome. This is going to be one incredible tank when it gets wet :)

Thanks! Its taken all my gumption to not just fill it up in the garage and run it there, lol. I got a BBQ/ tank moving party happening this saturday so I can get enough guys on site to help move it into the house.

Maybe you could get some stuff from New Zealand. This guy's nems are unreal:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/331809-mf4ls-15g-new-zealand-temperate-reef/

If only :tears:

NZ doesn't really let anything other than food fish come or go from there. Been working on finding an exporter of native temperate species for ever from down there. Closest I've got is a guy that collects off of the south coast of Australia in the tasman sea.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
AquaticEngineer

So here is the mock up of the DIY imitation Kessils I made to go over my tank with the articulating brackets attached.

lobstertanklights5_zps6ca0d201.jpg

lobstertanklights3_zps4bad64dc.jpg

lobstertanklights4_zps59cdfe38.jpg

lobstertanklights2_zpsf828999d.jpg

lobstertanklights_zpsd8ef5f5a.jpg

AquaticEngineer

Finally finished the wall mount light brackets today :) Now I just gotta order parts and wire up the 100w LED cannons in place of the 50w ones I've been doing. :naughtydance:

temporary_zps0466e68c.jpg

temporary_zps28520ce1.jpg

Archived