Innovative Marine Aquariums

Amano Styled Coldwater Tank

AquaticEngineer

AquaticEngineer

*****Updated FTS as of 03/25/16******

gallery_27219_8_20799.jpg

Just scored this off of craigslist for $225 :)

Its a 2003 model Marineland ML-26BW-2 140 gallon tank that measures 71” L x 31”W x 40” H. It has dual corner overflows at both ends, a small waterfall return and is completely open topped, trimmed in stainless steel, and only 40" over all height so its top down viewable :)

I've been looking for a tank with similar measurements in acrylic FOREVER to fit into the nook in my living room where I mounted my wall mount tank. But tanks that size in 3/4" to 1" acrylic are ridiculously expensive.

Best part is that since this model has an insulated sump that is set up like a normal aquarium sump I can drill one hole through the back of the stand, one through the wall and connect the entire thing into my 500+ gallon holding system in the garage.

Going to light it with a pair of 50 watt High ouput LED spotlights like the ones I have made in the past with super tight beam angles on them so that I can mount them right near the ceiling and have no fixtures hanging in the way similar to how most public aquariums have their tide pool tanks lit.

With the measurements of the tank I dont have to do anything to my wall mounted stainless steel system so it can just stay were it is :)

Maybe I'll do a native oregon freshwater non-game fish tank out of the little wall mount now.

17778_591930704191760_1698853470_n.jpg

969270_591930687525095_1264413205_n.jpg971597_591930707525093_633760616_n.jpg

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AquaticEngineer

Cool. What are your stocking plans?

This is gonna be a conglomerate of everything cool that passes through my hands that is coldwater :) Japanese, Australian, European, PNW, pretty much everything that is awesome that I wish I wouldn't have sold, lol.

Whoa, thats a biggun!

Thats what she said..... ;)

Was this a Lobster tank at a Red Lobster or grocery?

This one came from a Red Lobster via the Habitat for Humanity store.

AquaticEngineer

Lucky!

Well, I have a mild addiction to searching craigslist on a daily rotating schedule with a set of proven key words, lol. Just a mild one though....

This is gonna be a conglomerate of everything cool that passes through my hands that is coldwater :) Japanese, Australian, European, PNW, pretty much everything that is awesome that I wish I wouldn't have sold, lol.

You better get some bay pipefish and/or surf perch going!

AquaticEngineer

So here it is when I got it back to the garage, I went ahead and started on the deconstruction of the exterior and removed the super awesome lap siding on it and started sanding it to prep for paint.

Ran a water test on it and tweaked a few things. Added some mounts for the pump to stop vibration, tested it for overall noise and I am going to add a couple durso stand pipes to the overflows to eliminate water falling noise.

Plan is to finish sanding it fill in some holes with wood puddy paint the stand a sand camel color that matches the interior house paint then polish the stainless.

Gotta add a secondary overflow onto the sump area that will drain down into the garage coldwater holding system and that will tie it all together.

lobstertank1jpg8_zps151af3d4.jpg

lobstertank1jpg3_zpsd7e22dee.jpg

lobstertank1jpg4_zps4628dc5b.jpg

lobstertank1jpg5_zps2f1b30e6.jpg

lobstertank1jpg2_zps8f8c7cb9.jpg

lobstertank1jpg1_zpsa0dd5e74.jpg

Here is the area I am going to put the tank in.

temporary_zps8b3f3cde.jpg

Since I already have the stainless wallmount tank in place and it runs independently, I am planning on leaving it were it is and the lobster tank will be a top down viewable coldwater tidepool tank lit with 50w LED spot lights from the ceiling.

AquaticEngineer

You better get some bay pipefish and/or surf perch going!

There will be a school of these as soon as I get it going and collect them :)

tib-rainbow.jpg

There will be a school of these as soon as I get it going and collect them :)

tib-rainbow.jpg

:eek: That's pretty cool...... Maybe throw in a leopard shark or two and that'll be one nice tank ;)

AquaticEngineer

:eek: That's pretty cool...... Maybe throw in a leopard shark or two and that'll be one nice tank ;)

If only I could, lol. The only place we can get them from currently is out of California and they have to be a minimum of 36".

Hoping I can catch a small one myself down in Southern Oregon later this summer.

Here is a video of the system running just one water test.

Here's the direct link http://s246.photobucket.com/user/Stuwobbe/media/WP_20130814_027_zps0c5d052a.mp4.html'>http://s246.photobucket.com/user/Stuwobbe/media/WP_20130814_027_zps0c5d052a.mp4.html

th_WP_20130814_027_zps0c5d052a.jpg

llama roadkill
If only I could, lol. The only place we can get them from currently is out of California and they have to be a minimum of 36". Hoping I can catch a small one myself down in Southern Oregon later this summer. Here is a video of the system running just one water test.th_WP_20130814_027_zps0c5d052a.jpg

Not sure how it is on PC, but on my IPad it comes out as a jpg and can't be played...

AquaticEngineer

Been getting a little bit done on this here and there :)

Managed to get the dual dursos in it and finish removing all the old lap siding.

Got the KILLZ mold resistant paint on it for primer.

Filled all the old nail holes and smoothed out the spots that used to have handles on the removable front panels.

Next up is orange peel texturing to match the inside wall texture, then paint and trim to match.

temporary_zpsd8e88727.jpg

temporary_zpsd71b3a67.jpg

temporary_zps640edd6d.jpg

temporary_zps7d53f89a.jpg

temporary_zps9066b865.jpg

AquaticEngineer

SWEET!!!! If you think that system is noisy you should hear mine.

Its stealth quiet now :) Most of the noise in the video was from my holding system in the garage. I shimmed up the pump on the lobster tank, added the dursos, and when all the panels are on it all you can here is the trickle of the waterfall return going into the water :)

Its stealth quiet now :) Most of the noise in the video was from my holding system in the garage. I shimmed up the pump on the lobster tank, added the dursos, and when all the panels are on it all you can here is the trickle of the waterfall return going into the water :)

Mine is in the basement, so I could couldnt care less. I have a 125 and a 210 splashing into a 125 sump and a 5 foot skimmer. Now my living room display ( in progress) will have to be quite as a mouse pissing on a cotton ball :)

Archived