Innovative Marine Aquariums

Chris's fitty gallon

Chris L

Just a couple of crappy cell phone shots for now. I will make a full tank thread with info soon :)

:welcome:

Started this tank on 3/18/13 using BRS dry rock. but removed the BRS dry rock because of phosphate issues. Rock was replaced with some cured live rock on 6/17/13. It went through a mini cycle of diatoms for a few weeks.

Using RO-DI (2xDI canister) water

RED SEA CORAL PRO salt

Equipment list:

50 gallon "standard" breeder tank. (36x18x18)

700 GPH glass holes overflow 1.5" OD hard plumbed to Eshopps 24x12x16 sump.

Apex Lite controller currently for Fan, Lighting, Temp.

Tunze 3152 for top off (Kalkwasser)

Sicce 3.0 for return. Jabao DC 6000

SRO-1000 in sump.

Ecotech MP-40ESW

Ecotech MP-10ESW

200 Watt Ebo Jagar heater.

AC-70 HOB refugium (chaeto reactor) - Lit by DIY LEDS 24hrs

szijbn.jpg

2wlyoao.jpg

Current Lighting:

The specs of my leds..

dgrpya.jpg

My original thought was the classic AI cluster method but with a kick of Violet. Then i thought, man every pic i see of Ecotech's Radion pro's look great! So i added red and green channels.

2 fixtures x 24 led arrays.

Each fixture has:

White channel: 4 Neutral white cree XPG and 1 Cool white cree XPG driven from a Meanwell 60-48-D (set at 1300ma).

Royal Blue channel: 5 Royal Blue XTE driven from a Meanwell 60-48-D (set at 1300ma)

Blue channel: 5 Blue XPE driven from a Meanwell 60-48-D (set at 1000ma)

Violet channel: 5 rapid led violet 415-420nm driven from a Rapid led Nano driver (700ma)

Deep Red channel: 2 Rebel ES driven from a Rapid led Nano driver (700ma)

Green channel: 2 Cree XPE driven from a Rapid led Nano driver (700ma)

All leds have 80 degree optics.

Led fixtures are about 14" above the surface of the water.

The fixture's are controlled and dimmed via the APEX.

Time to let it grow in.....

11qk188.jpg

2cokio6.jpg

213hmjt.jpg

2d8o1ed.jpg

Dude those lights are sick.... and those 50 breeders are awesome, I was looking for one but couldn't wait so ended up grabbing a 40 breeder haha! Any plans for future fish?

Dude those lights are sick.... and those 50 breeders are awesome, I was looking for one but couldn't wait so ended up grabbing a 40 breeder haha! Any plans for future fish?

I currently only have 4 pajama cards. I'm really starting to like the Black Ice Ocellaris. The only thing i'm afraid is that they will destroy my Frogspawn.

I shall follow. If only I could get that species of birdsnest to look that good, but right now it's just pink.

Not sure what the special sauce is for this Ponape. I have quite a bit of indirect flow and it is sitting at about 225 PAR. Or it could be the poo ton of 415-420nm color led spectrum i have.

I currently only have 4 pajama cards. I'm really starting to like the Black Ice Ocellaris. The only thing i'm afraid is that they will destroy my Frogspawn.

That is always a concern when you are dealing with clowns. They can harass coral until it never opens or ends up dying.

My favorite also! Got this one from PEA.

Good, that's where I got mine as well. I think mine got too much light and has since been moved, so waiting for it to show more color.

Good, that's where I got mine as well. I think mine got too much light and has since been moved, so waiting for it to show more color.

What type of lighting was it under?

What type of lighting was it under?

It was under a buildmyled strip light that was a lot brighter than it looked. Now near the bottom under T5s.

Some pics....please excuse the quality....you know how those leds are to try and shoot under...

2evrmdz.jpg

x5o4kp.jpg

5d5760.jpg

2vcut5g.jpg

2zg7yi1.jpg

vovfxf.jpg

28wjgc8.jpg

1zl9bsz.jpg

nmgor4.jpg

10f3vb6.jpg

33wbdjc.jpg

Nice SPS!

Nice ponape and hairy mille.

Wow tanks looks great!

Nice tank and pics!

Thanks everyone!

Where are the clams ?

The Squamosa died about 3-4 weeks ago and the PEA tiny max died about 2 weeks ago.

Just when i thought the Maxima was good to go it detached from the rock and started wasting away...

Some pics....please excuse the quality....you know how those leds are to try and shoot under...

2evrmdz.jpg

x5o4kp.jpg

5d5760.jpg

2vcut5g.jpg

2zg7yi1.jpg

vovfxf.jpg

28wjgc8.jpg

1zl9bsz.jpg

nmgor4.jpg

10f3vb6.jpg

33wbdjc.jpg

Yeah I know man those leds just ruined all your pictures :P What are you using to take your pics, they look pretty good to me. Do you photoshop to clean them up afterwards?

Yeah I know man those leds just ruined all your pictures :P What are you using to take your pics, they look pretty good to me. Do you photoshop to clean them up afterwards?

i use a Nikon D5100 with a Tamron 90mm Macro. I just use the software that comes with the camera to adjust.

• 2 months later...

So a little update....

Some things got fried some love the new light. The ponape was a victom, however i'm hoping that it will recover. The zoa's absolutely hated it.

I will post some pics of the the acro's later.

Here are two new citizens in the last couple months. 1.5" squamosa (Rockefeller) and 2" Max (coco).

255t1u8.jpg

On 10/2 I also took the phosban off-line and started running bio pellets. Started with a very small amount (about half a cup in a TLF 150). Did not dose any bacteria as i want to make sure this gets kicked off slowly.

I was also having issues with some type of cyanobacteria (long stringy dark red/brown) would go away after lights off, then almost grow back instantly after lights on.

After fine tuning my SRO1000 using a valve on the air intake to lessen the ratio of water/air in the reaction chamber and raising the water level a bit, this thing is kicking some serious a$$.

The Cyano is about 80% gone and things are starting to look really good. Not sure if this is due to the pellets or adjustment to the skimmer.

Archived