inTank Media Baskets

Tamberav's 40 Breeder

Tamberav

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, next time you meet Matt Pederson, say Kat from nano reef said hello and that I hope he got a chance to use my photo submissions for his book. :)

Ha, will do :)

I want one of those Australian dragonets, the ones that look like targets but with even nicer colors, im going to try to do one in my 70 shallow I put in my closet next summer if I don't spend all my money on my car

I want one of those Australian dragonets, the ones that look like targets but with even nicer colors, im going to try to do one in my 70 shallow I put in my closet next summer if I don't spend all my money on my car

I didn't think they were for sale anywhere yet. I'm sure we'll see them eventually though which means I would have to upgrade lol Hopefully ORA breeds them at some point as collecting wild ones apparently isn't common due to their range being outside normal collection areas.

JoeDigiorgio

I didn't think they were for sale anywhere yet. I'm sure we'll see them eventually though which means I would have to upgrade lol Hopefully ORA breeds them at some point as collecting wild ones apparently isn't common due to their range being outside normal collection areas.

S. picturatus occidentalis has been made moderately available in Australia already but commands a price of around 300 Australian dollars. I know of one guy who had a pair over there and I've heard rumors of them being snuck over to the states recently but I've not see any pictures of them from state side just yet. I'm absolutely going to own a pair eventually but not until they come down in price to say...$300 for a pair? LOL

S. picturatus occidentalis has been made moderately available in Australia already but commands a price of around 300 Australian dollars. I know of one guy who had a pair over there and I've heard rumors of them being snuck over to the states recently but I've not see any pictures of them from state side just yet. I'm absolutely going to own a pair eventually but not until they come down in price to say...$300 for a pair? LOL

I would pay $300 a pair.. same for some ruby red's. I will need a large hex or column tank when those become available lol

JoeDigiorgio

I'm so tempted to upgrade to 47's instead of those 15's but the thought of moving them in a year and a half scares me. I'll be done with nursing school and buying a house by then so I really don't want to move anything larger than what I've got now.

PS I'm already planning my graduation gift to myself. I have 2 dream plans, modeled after the standard 125 and the 200 deep dimension, I'll be getting a custom glass tank built to fit a long wall in my future home. I love the 125 but I want the tank to perfectly fit whatever wall I put it against so it'll either be 2' deep, 2' tall and whatever length the wall is, or it'll be 3' deep 2' tall and take up half of that wall. I'm up in the air on dimensions but I do know it will be a coastal habitat with sea grasses, a ton of soft corals like ricordea and Xenia and also some stonies like plating acros just like you'd see in shallow reefs around the world. I'm more excited to graduate for this than to get a job haha

I'm so tempted to upgrade to 47's instead of those 15's but the thought of moving them in a year and a half scares me. I'll be done with nursing school and buying a house by then so I really don't want to move anything larger than what I've got now.

PS I'm already planning my graduation gift to myself. I have 2 dream plans, modeled after the standard 125 and the 200 deep dimension, I'll be getting a custom glass tank built to fit a long wall in my future home. I love the 125 but I want the tank to perfectly fit whatever wall I put it against so it'll either be 2' deep, 2' tall and whatever length the wall is, or it'll be 3' deep 2' tall and take up half of that wall. I'm up in the air on dimensions but I do know it will be a coastal habitat with sea grasses, a ton of soft corals like ricordea and Xenia and also some stonies like plating acros just like you'd see in shallow reefs around the world. I'm more excited to graduate for this than to get a job haha

I totally understand, I graduate this coming spring. I chose the 40B because I didn't want to move an 80g tank :P mostly because the last time I moved my 20g got cracked. Would hate to lose an expensive tank.

I would love a very lonnnnnng in-the-wall style tank. I want a shallow tank though.. makes maintenance easier too :) Oh well... we will get there someday!

JoeDigiorgio

Well the tank would be 2' tall but on a relatively short stand so maintenance wouldn't be a nightmare. I like the in-wall tanks for other people's houses but for me I think they're too much of an impracticality as far as cost and maintenance.

Well the tank would be 2' tall but on a relatively short stand so maintenance wouldn't be a nightmare. I like the in-wall tanks for other people's houses but for me I think they're too much of an impracticality as far as cost and maintenance.

Well.. I want my in the wall tank to be between two rooms so its viewable from both sides and have access to both sides. Should make it a lot more of a breeze to maintain. Having a large space above that opens up would be nice too. Gotta get lots of elbow room!

Now that's style lol

I'm thinking it can go in between the room with the hot tub so I can watch the fish from the hot tub... and the bar area maybe.. We'll see..

BIG PLANS! someday...

JoeDigiorgio

I sell tanks for a living, standard and custom. One of our recent projects was a custom 450 for a guy. It was set into a wall and viewable from 3 sides dividing his kitchen from his living room. The whole thing looked fantastic but it was a little too high class for me. It had an entire spare bedroom's worth of life support systems and he signed a 2x per week maintenance plan. I feel like I could do the exact same display myself for a tenth of the cost, and half the work.

I sell tanks for a living, standard and custom. One of our recent projects was a custom 450 for a guy. It was set into a wall and viewable from 3 sides dividing his kitchen from his living room. The whole thing looked fantastic but it was a little too high class for me. It had an entire spare bedroom's worth of life support systems and he signed a 2x per week maintenance plan. I feel like I could do the exact same display myself for a tenth of the cost, and half the work.

Why so much crap? Can't a person put a skimmer on it with such a large water volume and call it a day lol Set up a water changing station and one of those pvc pipes to feed the fish with.

Where do you live? I suppose no where near me :) If you build tanks for a living.. idk how you resist the urge not to go bigger... moving or not!

JoeDigiorgio

I'm in South Florida. Honestly whenever temptation starts to creep in to get a bigger tank I just remind myself of what kind of a process it was moving my old planted tanks and how they took a good couple of months to settle back in and I think about how it's virtually impossible to ever get a reef to look as good as it did originally.

After three minutes I'm ok with waiting for a house to upgrade everything into the final product tank lol plus we do maintenance and installs as well so I get to see plenty of gorgeous tanks at other people's houses to hold me over. If there was more money to be had or if the work wasn't as hard as it is, I'd open my own store front and do maintenance out of there but nurses have way more job security and I'd rather ensure I can afford this as a hobby than make it my work forever.

And I never said I was stopping at 1 tank once I'm in my house and working as a nurse ;) I'm just starting with one big one off the bat and with the connections I have through my current work I'll be able to pretty much get whatever I want later.

I'm in South Florida. Honestly whenever temptation starts to creep in to get a bigger tank I just remind myself of what kind of a process it was moving my old planted tanks and how they took a good couple of months to settle back in and I think about how it's virtually impossible to ever get a reef to look as good as it did originally.

After three minutes I'm ok with waiting for a house to upgrade everything into the final product tank lol plus we do maintenance and installs as well so I get to see plenty of gorgeous tanks at other people's houses to hold me over. If there was more money to be had or if the work wasn't as hard as it is, I'd open my own store front and do maintenance out of there but nurses have way more job security and I'd rather ensure I can afford this as a hobby than make it my work forever.

And I never said I was stopping at 1 tank once I'm in my house and working as a nurse ;) I'm just starting with one big one off the bat and with the connections I have through my current work I'll be able to pretty much get whatever I want later.

I'm going to school for nursing too :) Amen to job security! Moving will def be a pain in the ass.. if my corals are big by then I may just frag everything and then keep 1-2 frags for myself.. easier to move frags than colony's.

JoeDigiorgio

That. Is. Genius.

I never would have thought of that. When we move tanks for customers they always want the thing to look as close as possible to what it was before so that's never an option for them but its a great idea otherwise. I'd definitely do it that way for myself.

Ordered some plastic corners they make for hexagon windows so I can stop staring at a taped on piece of screen netting!

Nice tank. Now I want a mandarin tank..... Thanks a lot for filling my head with this......

dooooooooooooooo it! Get a column or hex or maybe a 29g... so you can watch them spawn!

Ordered some plastic corners they make for hexagon windows so I can stop staring at a taped on piece of screen netting!

dooooooooooooooo it! Get a column or hex or maybe a 29g... so you can watch them spawn!

if i do, i want a big tank with lots. a mandarin paradise. it's gonna take some planning as well as some time to seed it with pods etc. I guess i will take this to the drawing board.

Yeah that's the only problem i see with me wanting to start a mandarin tank is the pod population, so u less i had a sump with a refugium with a volume of 20-30 gallons it probably wouldn't work out

Your lucky because yours is tied into your larger tank

Btw anyone know of a good sump that can support such a large refugium while still having room for a skimmer

Yeah that's the only problem i see with me wanting to start a mandarin tank is the pod population, so u less i had a sump with a refugium with a volume of 20-30 gallons it probably wouldn't work out Your lucky because yours is tied into your larger tank Btw anyone know of a good sump that can support such a large refugium while still having room for a skimmer

I use a 40B and that gives me 20g of sump.. I T'd off the drain so I could go skimmer > return > fuge. This allowed me to put my fuge baffle almost to the top to get the full 20g worth.

Pods are all over that thing! With any fuge though I always wonder how many actually make it up the return pump? Hmm. I know a lot make it into my filter sock :angry:

Archived