Top Shelf Aquatics

Sean's Not So Nano 90g Build - 11/1 FTS photo dump with new fish

HiImSean

My wife and I moved into our house about a 5 months ago and are finally settling in. I've been planning an upgrade from my 36g at work to something at home. I was talking with a LFS for a while on getting a 90g and they have a local guy who builds stands and canopies for them. Well the builder has been very slow getting things together and a local in our reef club is moving across country and is selling a brand new, never seen water, 90g setup. So tonight I'm picking up the Marineland RR 90g, Monteray stand and canopy, and an Aqueon model 4 sump for $500 :D I have most of the equipment, need a skimmer, plumbing and rock then I'm set. I'm working and traveling a lot for work so I hope to have it filled and running by October.

Here's a break down on equipment:

Tank :Marineland 90g (48x18x25) Reef-ready
Sump: Trigger System Ruby30
Lighting: 2x AI Sol Blue
Skimmer: Bubble Magus NAC5E
Flow: MP10es, 2 WP25
Return: Eheim 1262
Controller: Apex Lite, VDM, EB8, Breakout Box

Gonna be a mixed reef, mostly LPS and zoas probably with a hand full of SPS thrown in. I'm not sure on stocking the tank yet. I will transfer my Onyx clown and melanurus wrasse, I will most likely add a group of flasher wrasses and another clown. I'll grab some pics of the tank in my house tonight or tomorrow when I get it in.

11-1-14 FTS

https://flic.kr/p/pBLm4q'>15500935430_c8954b9f3f_b.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/pBLm4q'>IMG_9785 by https://www.flickr.com/people/41554976@N07/'>slu13913, on Flickr

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SouthFlorida_Tron

check out the reef octopus skimmers, beastmode.

and you stuck on the sols? why AI? I dont drink the coolaid anymore and got a radion after having a sol, would never go back!

make your mp10's wireless, so you can antisync them!

This is going to be a sweet tank! Can't wait to see the flow in a tank that has both mp10s and wp25s.... would be pretty cool if you could find a way to position them so that they work together to make a standing wave. GL... definitely following

check out the reef octopus skimmers, beastmode.

and you stuck on the sols? why AI? I dont drink the coolaid anymore and got a radion after having a sol, would never go back!

make your mp10's wireless, so you can antisync them!

I currently am running the one SOL over my 36g, I've been getting great color and growth so I'm gonna stick with them for now, plus for the price they're hard to beat. And if I did a complete lighting change I'd prolly go DIY LEDs and T5s. I picked the second one up 1mo old for $230 so... :D I'm prolly gonna throw 2-4 T5s in the canopy with the LEDs eventually. I've only got the one MP10 for now, I don't see myself upgrading or adding a second unless the WP25s are complete crap.

I am on a bit of a budget now. My wife just left her job to go to grad school so we're gonna be aone income family for a few years. I was actually on the verge of getting out of the hobby for a few years but I got this deal on the setup so if I do get out I prolly won't loose too much cash in selling it.

As for the skimmer I've been thinking of the RO 1000 or Vertex Omega 150.

This is going to be a sweet tank! Can't wait to see the flow in a tank that has both mp10s and wp25s.... would be pretty cool if you could find a way to position them so that they work together to make a standing wave. GL... definitely following

The flow should be pretty good :D I'l planning on putting the WPs across from each other and running the MP10 on the back behind some SPS.

SouthFlorida_Tron

cant go wrong with either skimmer. and well, you already have sol's perfect... ya i mean, in that case, do it lol.. why waste the money... put the $ elsewhere.....

also, look into running a zeo vit tank! it is much easier to start from the beginning!

I have been interested in zeo but haven't looked too far into it. I downloaded the manual but saw it was a few more pages than I had time to sit down and read lol. I really wanted to stay away from dosing though since I do travel quite a bit. I wouldn't want to have to rely on my wife to dose haha

The tank has landed, what an ordeal though. I usually have no issues getting tanks and stands into my 4Runner. Well the Marineland stand has a lip to cover the plastic trim, that lip caused the stand not to fit upright. Now with it on its side, the tank won't fit :angry: I offered to come back tomorrow to get the tank but since the guy was moving across country Thursday he wanted to deliver the tank to get it out of his apartment. I felt bad accepting but he insisted and wouldn't take any money for gas money. It's nice to belong to such a great community!! So as of now the tank and canopy are in my garage, the stand and sump are still in my car lol.

No kidding. I gotta decide how I'm gonna lay it out. I'd like to do a small fuge but don't want too much flow through it. I may make a small area out of the big section, half fuge half return area

I'm no expert on sumps but you may want to have 2 different drains so you can have a slower flow through the refugium section

Since I'm new with plumbing I have a question. Do you want more of a straight shot with you plumbing from the tank to the sump, ie the drain bulkhead directly above the first chamber of the sump, or do you want the return pump directly below the bulkheads? I would imagine the return pump under the bulkhead to reduce head loss?

Any updates?

I've heard that those overflows can be kind of loud, but there's probably some DIY mod that you can do to help with that (if noise is a concern)

Been on vacation this week. Progress is gonna be a little slow now, my wife quite her job last week to go back to grad school so money is tight for a while. I've got the rest of the stuff I'm going to order in my cart at BRS, rock from reefcleaners.org, and hopefully going to work on plumbing this week. I'd like to get it done and do a test fill this weekend. Still thinking on skimmers. I found a couple good deals on RO xs160's but people said even in heavily stocked 90's they are having problems getting a constant skim going. I'm thinking of just seeing if my BM NAC5E will pull stuff, it's having a very hard time on my small tank so something larger might be better for it. It looks like it will fit in the sump so we'll see.

I've been tinkering around this week and I think I'm going to try and get a 30" sump, this thing is just too big. I have about 9" space on one side for any additional equipment and I'm having trouble finding an ATO reservoir that skinny. I've found Trigger System sumps that are pretty nice, gonna try to find one. After I get the sump situation figured out then I'll start plumbing. Still on the hunt for a skimmer.

Archived