Cultivated Reef

College's CADlight 8g Mini

CollegeNanoKid

CollegeNanoKid

Aren't verbatim snails a pest, won't they kill/ irritate the coral

Yeah they are... :furious: I try to destroy as many as I can when I do water changes...just one of those things I guess. I got them on a coral frag and stuck them in my tank before I knew what bad things to look for...live and learn I guess :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CollegeNanoKid

The hammer continues to grow everyday. He is pressing against the glass and I really have no where to move him too and I have never fragged anything before. The plan is to let him keep growing and at the first signs of distress I will probably be forced to frag him and/or rearrange the tank OR upgrade to a bigger tank. I am going to upgrade to a bigger tank but I would like to be in a more permanent residence first. Hopefully the hammer will stay happy and keep growing.

Candy cane is not very happy i the pic. I need to feed him. Duncan is also not happy because I just topped off the tank prior to pic. My Duncan can be moody. Some days he closes up for no apparent reason. Perhaps its the salinity swings because I manually top off every day or every other day. But I think he is just moody..anybody else experience this?

Also, don't mind the rubber band on the return nozzle...it broke...kind of...I called MarineLand to see if I could buy that diffuser piece because it came off a MaxiJet 900 and they said they would send me a whole new MaxiJet 900. Great customer service if you ask me!

FTS: 10-19-2014

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/07b7de48-4284-45d6-8de9-043505a45765_zps2bb7fdfb.jpg.html'>07b7de48-4284-45d6-8de9-043505a45765_zps

Happy Reefing!

• 4 weeks later...
CollegeNanoKid

everything looks great!!

i just bought a new hammer coral myself.

love it a lot. though my dendro is my favorite.

make sure you check out my thread. :D

• 1 month later...
CollegeNanoKid

Time for a BIG update!

I recently purchased a Nano Box Mini Tide from a fellow reefer. After having it for about a month I finally got the time to set it up! I knew that the Nano Box would look better than the stock light...but...I am AMAZED at how much better my corals and fish look with this Nano Box! These lights that Dave makes are the real deal and totally worth the investment. I feel I just switched from black and white TV to High Def. Everything in my tank looks better. I have the settings really low for now to avoid stressing my corals, I plan to crank up the intensity a little bit every couple of days.

tidefts2_zps4bfc2c05.jpg

tideFTS_zpseef21962.jpg

I also made my own mount for the light, The light fit fine on the back of my 8 gallon CADlight but I am a worry wart and didn't like the idea of the light being mounted on the back of the tank which is all glass so I made a new stand for the light. I cut a piece of aluminium then heated it and bent it, then I painted it slapped some rubber on the bottom and some felt on top and there ya go I had a sturdy stand to mount the light on with no worries of placing stress on my back glass panel!

tidestand_zps158e883f.jpg

On another note, my candy cane coral is not doing very well. It will not open up to eat at night anymore. It doesn't help that my clownfish always steals the food whenever I try to feed the candy cane. Today I cut the lid off a 2 liter bottle going to make some contraption to put over the candy cane so I can feed him with minimal disturbances from the fish.

Happy Reefing!

yay you got your nanobox!! it looks wonderful!

sorry about the declining candy canes. i just picked

up my first. i haven't spot fed them yet though.

good luck!!

I wouldn't ramp up the intensity while the candy cane isn't doing so good stability in light and parameters will on do good

Too much light too fast for the candy canes. Leave the brightness low... its a lot easier to kill a coral from too much light than too little

CollegeNanoKid

I wouldn't ramp up the intensity while the candy cane isn't doing so good stability in light and parameters will on do good

Too much light too fast for the candy canes. Leave the brightness low... its a lot easier to kill a coral from too much light than too little

Very good advice. I will keep the intensity low. A couple of the candy canes finally took some food last night, I'll try to feed them a little bit each day. I will keep the light parameters stable. Thanks for the help!

Those Duncans are great

Thank You! Duncan's are a great coral, fun to spot feed too!
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
CollegeNanoKid

Hello Everyone!

I am finally doing a much over due update... Where to begin... I am still loving this little Cadlight 8 gallon tank and the Nanobox Mini is a perfect light for the tank in my opinion. I added some GSP, Green chalice, And Zoas (Bams Bams maybe?). I added everything yesterday after quarantining them for 2 months in a separate tank. I have never tried Zoas before so I figured why not.

Three heads of my hammer have started bleaching; not sure why. I turned down the light some hopefully that will help.

Here are the pics!

Picture quality is horrible; sorry.

FTS5-14_zpsfnqkvp7p.jpg

FTS2-5-14_zpsyld3txu3.jpg

Candycane5-14_zps7pjcvtex.jpg

GSP5-14_zpswi6jfdws.jpg

Duncan5-14_zps8hduk1sg.jpg

Zoa5-14_zpsf4dedaup.jpg

Chalice5-14_zpsuof5eate.jpg

Hammer5-14_zpsoo6rpsms.jpg

Happy reefing!

Archived