ReefCleaners.org

College's CADlight 8g Mini

CollegeNanoKid

CollegeNanoKid

That rock is awesome. Perfect shape and size for the tank. Looks great so far!

Thank you! It took awhile to get a stable formation without touching any of the glass. I like the way ti turned out. Its mostly two big pieces of BRS reef saver rock that I hammered on. My clown fish loves swimming through the arch.

Your build looks like its going to be a good one, I;m following it. I think you will be happy that you got the iron free glass it makes a big difference and its something you will appreciate every time you look at your tank.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CollegeNanoKid

Much overdue update***

Tank is doing great. I really enjoy this little tank. I am still doing 2 gallon water change every week. I do not dose anything. The stock light is doing great all the corals are growing well. Been about a year now. Any questions about the tank please do not hesitate to ask me.

Here are some pics! Enjoy!

FTS 7-2014

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/TankupdateFTS714_zps1f7b20cb.jpg.html'>TankupdateFTS714_zps1f7b20cb.jpg

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/candycaneupdate7142_zps152bc92f.jpeg.html'>candycaneupdate7142_zps152bc92f.jpeg

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/candyupdate7141_zps656c8767.jpeg.html'>candyupdate7141_zps656c8767.jpeg

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/Duncanupdate714_zps21c0643e.jpeg.html'>Duncanupdate714_zps21c0643e.jpeg

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/Hammerupdate714_zpsfb81987c.jpeg.html'>Hammerupdate714_zpsfb81987c.jpeg

Happy Reefing!

wow, this thread is really convincing me

to get a cadlight! my question would be, did

you buy any other equipment at all? like a wave

maker for this little tank? it doesn't look like you

got any other things for it? i'm really eager to expand

my pico 3 gallon to this in the fall--i hope.

you never explained how you "transferred" from

one tank to the other? new sand, some new water,

and then some old water as well? thank you!

CollegeNanoKid

I do not run a wave-maker on my tank. I find that the stock pump gives me plenty of flow and any additional flow would make using the lid more difficult. I do have to manually clean out some snail poop during weekly water changes if it gets in an area with decreased flow. I out a deflector on the stock nozzel because it was blowing my sand around.

The tank transfer was actually pretty simple thanks to a lot of advice from fellow reefers: Here is what I did

Bought new sand, mixed a batch of 5 gallons of new salt water

Filled the new tank with sand and the 5 gallons of new water let the water clear then I quickly moved over my rocks coral and fish and then topped of the tank with 3 gallons of old water from other tank and a handful or two of old sand

I also switched over the old already used filter floss from the old tank

All and all it went well and corals didn't even close much and were open all the way in a few hours

Just gotta math salinity (get a refractometer) and temp

Good luck the cadlight 8 has been really fun for me.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Happy Reefing

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really interested in the cad8 tank and in doing a nano setup.

So. I'm reading that the ratio of blue LEDs to white LEDs differs between these tanks. When I called Jason at CADLights, he said what they have now is 2 white for every 1 blue. I think cindyp said she has just the opposite on her tank, that is twice as many blue as white instead.

Jason says I may have a choice depending on what he gets in next week.

Curious-- what you do have on your tank, CollegeNanoKid? How many blues vs. whites?

So. I'm reading that the ratio of blue LEDs to white LEDs differs between these tanks. When I called Jason at CADLights, he said what they have now is 2 white for every 1 blue. I think cindyp said she has just the opposite on her tank, that is twice as many blue as white instead.

Curious-- what you do have on your tank, CollegeNanoKid? How many blues vs. whites?

heya! you're correct. i have 6 rows of blues and 3 rows of whites.

i'd also ask for the older version with one inch more display space

if you don't plan on going with their mini skimmer.

Thanks, cindyp. Stalking all the CAD8 builds first, then placing my order!

edited. THREE rows of whites for a total of 9 rows. ha!

enjoy your stalking, i enjoyed mine too! but honestly, if

you have the space and funds, to go a bit bigger. shoot.

i thought they cadlights has a 12g but looks like not in

stock now, and it jumps to 18g, which is a big difference.

CollegeNanoKid

I think I might have to pull the trigger on this. Did you add the skimmer or media reactor?

You should! This tank is awesome and I have had great luck with CADlight customer service too so don't believe the negative reviews. I did not add the skimmer or media reactor. If you plan on using these make sure you get the newer model with the bigger rear chambers so they will fit.

I don't use a skimmer or media reactor for a few reasons:

1. I only have one fish (very little livestock only feed every other day)

2. I only have LPS corals (hardy corals)

3. Its such a small tank I can do 25% water change every week with no problems

Hope this helps! Happy reefing!

I have (turns around in chair to look at light) 6 blue rows and 3 white rows. I think it is a perfect combination; its not too blue at all. It is hard to take pictures though, I hope this helps. Any more questions feel free to ask!

Happy Reefing!

Looks fantastic... simple and clean. You're getting good growth as well

Thank you! I am trying to keep it really simple. It is my first tank and I may need to move sometime in the near future so I have not been adding many corals. I love the tank and hobby. Happy Reefing!

Definitely have an awesome little tank. That hammer is nice. Get a big brother tank for it. I really like the 8g. I am looking to get something like this one in the future.

CollegeNanoKid

Definitely have an awesome little tank. That hammer is nice. Get a big brother tank for it. I really like the 8g. I am looking to get something like this one in the future.

Thank You! My hammer is definitely my favorite coral. I really would like a bigger tank but I need a more permanent residency first. If you have any questions about this little tank just let me know! Happy Reefing!

Your tank journal has been really helpful! While I try to decide which of three AIO systems I want, I just had to start messing around with a "jarquarium" wanted to get my feet wet...

CollegeNanoKid

That hammer! :0 wish I could get mine to look like that. Mine keeps its tentacles relatively shirt. And I don't get the cool swirls in the tissue growth pattern. (If that makes sense) :3

edit: picc,

14942005309_25826ec292_c.jpgFSH_0482 by loraine_klein1, on Flickr

KleinReef, Thanks for the compliments on my hammer! I am not sure why my hammer keeps its tentacles so long but I am happy that it does; nice and flowy. I love the color of your hammer and I just checked out your build thread :o its amazing I could spend all day looking at it. Very nice work and its so organized too haha! My hammer is growing a lot its beginning to press against the glass, I am going to post new pics soon. Happy Reefing!

CollegeNanoKid

Quick update! Hammer is still growing well! Starting to take over the tank some and is pressing up against the glass. Still appears to be really happy! Candy cane is growing some too. I really need to start feeding the corals more especially the candy cane.

hammersept142_zpsfc2483e5.jpg

Hammer on glass: hammersept143_zps0acc2d1f.jpg

Candy Cane: candycanesept14_zps9f23e526.jpg

Happy Reefing!

Don't mind the reflections. I swear I am going to get an actual camera and learn a few things about photography someday!

KleinReef, Thanks for the compliments on my hammer! I am not sure why my hammer keeps its tentacles so long but I am happy that it does; nice and flowy. I love the color of your hammer and I just checked out your build thread :o its amazing I could spend all day looking at it. Very nice work and its so organized too haha! My hammer is growing a lot its beginning to press against the glass, I am going to post new pics soon. Happy Reefing!

thanks :3 it's well on its way i think. being so far away from it sucks though. :(

CollegeNanoKid

Love that hammer, is the skeleton in the sand?

Thank you! So do I! Its kind of funny the hammer actually sits on its side. When I first got it I would always but the skeleton in the sand and bury it some so the coral was sitting upright and it always ended up on its side. At one time I was going to mount it on a rock or frag plug but I kind of think; if its not broke why fix it. It appears to be happy on its side.

As to why it kept going onto its side... I think because there are vermatid snails on the base of the skeleton, maybe?

I can't bury the skeleton now because there are like 4 or 5 baby hammer heads starting from the base

Happy Reefing!

Archived