SaltCritters.com

Aquaeurousa 28g

JoshuA c

Introduction

I's just starting up a FOWLR in a Aquaeurousa 28 gallon All-In-One system. Because there won't be any corals to grab people's attention, I have stressed the design of the scape, and have taken a slight risk with it. So far I have the filter set up, sand in the tank, and a rockin' scape.

Anticipated Stock List:

-Ocellaris Clownfish

-Diamond Goby

-2 Banggai Cardinalfish

-Cleaner Shrimp

-CUC

Questions:

1) Will the rock (it is dry rock and we will be adding a seed of LR when we add water), sand and roughly 10 lbs. of ceramic cylinders be enough of a bio filter for the stock list? If not, I have extra rock I can add to the filter.

2) I have had a diamond goby before and loved it; one of my favorite all time fish. I put the scape together with one in mind, but does it seem like there is enough burrowing places for him? Don't worry, I used putty to hold up the rocks, and the bases are on the bottom glass, not the sand.

20130802_111818_zpseee80f97.jpg

2013-08-02111805_zps2a5219a5.jpg

2013-08-02111811_zps60c751f8.jpg

Just added water. Prior, I closed the two lower filter inlets to create an overflow. I still need to raise the overflow level because of how high up the pump is placed in the filter. Once the water clears and the temperature is raised to about 7.9, I'll go and get the seed rock. Should I test the pH before I add the seed or should I test once the cycle is over?

Just put in the seed rock and the pH is at 7.9 right now so its fine for a FOWLR. The LFS had Mocha Ocellaris for $17 so we might pop on one of those the start the tank off a little while into the cycle.

Picture with water, LR seed, and all the lights on. It still is a little murky because of dirt and the mysis shrimp I added last night for the bacteria, but, overall, I think it looks nice.

20130805_140917_zpsa184106e.jpg

llama roadkill

Very cool rock work design. Love it!

I just want to point out that the Diamond Goby may not be a good idea. If you plan to do live sand, or once the sand starts getting live from the live rock, it will at all of the nutrients till you have a dead sandbed. Check out some videos online.

Not saying it can't be done, but just be careful and make sure it has lots of food.

Very cool rock work design. Love it!

I just want to point out that the Diamond Goby may not be a good idea. If you plan to do live sand, or once the sand starts getting live from the live rock, it will at all of the nutrients till you have a dead sandbed. Check out some videos online.

Not saying it can't be done, but just be careful and make sure it has lots of food.

Last time I had the tank set up, I had a diamond goby and he ate fine. I didn't notice any problems with him. For feeding, he would either eat the mysis shrimp that I fed the other fish, or he would eat food pellets that I put in the sand for him. I want him to sift all the sand because that keeps it white and pretty. Hopefully I get that lucky this time.

Do they often have feeding problems?

Update:

Still cycling. Diatom growth has increased to where the growth is noticeable within several hours. It's funny though, the diatoms are only growing on the one rock and haven't spread yet. There probably isn't enough flow. I'm also thinking of adding macroalgae, I think it will help the look of the tank as well as the water quality and unwanted algae control. Will probably go with whatever I can find locally; I think one LFS has grapevine which looks nice.

Diatoms are spreading more and more each day.

I am planning on breaking the FOWLR plan and adding microalgae and later, some zoas. The zoas are to prove that the tank and lights will support them because I may need the tank to hold some zoas in the near feature. The macro will come first, though.

• 3 weeks later...

There has been a lot of diatom growth and some cyano (which i got rid of the best i could, but there is still a little bit).

Just added a clump of macro algae. There is bubble algae and aptasia in the cheato, but I think I'm going to leave them in because I have no reason to remove them. They add variety at the moment.

Added the first zoanthid. Pictures will be up when it open. It's a cheap one, but I like it and it's a good start for the tank.

Also, does anyone know how to change the name of a thread?

They are Green Bay Packers, I believe? If not, I'm interested in knowing what they are called and please to correct me.

I'll try and get a better picture when they open up a bit more.

20130906_152257_zpscf897c15.jpg

Went to another fish shop to get snails and hermits, but they were overpriced. I'd rather wait a week for hermits and snails at my normal shop and pay $0.98 per hermit than $2 at this shop. But while they overpriced the CUC, they had good prices on zoa frags: $7 per frag, and some frags had multiple types on them. Ended up buying three frags. I don't know the names of the ones I bought so I can't tell you, but I like them. I'll post pictures and more details (hopefully names because I like keeping track) after acclimation and when they open up.

I didn't want to mention this before because if I was way wrong, it would have been embarrassing:

One of the frags I choose, I choose because it looked like it could be an utter chaos. Also, a couple months ago when I was in the store they had some utter chaos in the display tank, so there was a possibility. So for $7 I took the chance and now that they are opening up, it looks like I could be right. Pictures to come.

Update:

Heres all three frags (I can't seem to get a good picture, sorry):

1BA7B1FB-40BB-4068-B43D-299057874B49-950

20130909_135315_zps30533223.jpg

And the most in focus photo of the possible Utter Chaos (the photo doesnt show the whites):

FC4194FD-FCB2-4716-8CE0-88D68278CCC5-950

Another Frag:

http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/JoshuAc00k/media/20130909_161854_zps285a9cc4.jpg.html'>20130909_161854_zps285a9cc4.jpg

And my Green Bay Packers while I'm at it:

http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/JoshuAc00k/media/20130909_161839_zpsfc2e7f6e.jpg.html'>20130909_161839_zpsfc2e7f6e.jpg

A better picture of my last new frag will be up when it opens (it fell off the rocks twice now and is mad).

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

They are doing fine, over all.

The polyp that is closed in the second to last picture in the above post has never opened, but is still there. It is a different color than those around it though because i was open at the LFS. There is a small polyp of its color on the other side of the frag that opened up for a day, but is now only partially open.

The "utter chaos" that I bought at the same time I now believe are lunar eclipse zoas. There are both doing well and have opened up every day and are showing no bad signs.

The pink ones are good and opening up every day. They fell off the rock yesterday so they were a bit upset, but are better today.

http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/JoshuAc00k/media/file_zpsda8d773e.jpg.html'>file_zpsda8d773e.jpg

Lastly, the green bay packers are doing great, as expected.

The grape vine is doing well, too. Some of it died off, but some is doing great and is attached.

The brown algae is receding and almost gone, but cyano is creeping in.

• 1 month later...

Update!

The tank is good. I got a diamond goby and he's happy just cleaning all the sand. He built his burrow under the center column so its right in the middle.

All the zoas are doing great. We added two zoas today, GSP (glued to the back wall), a rock with several more common but still good looking mushrooms, and a ricordea. All of these frags were $6.99 each so great deals for everything. I'll put pictures up in the next couple of days to show them off.

Cyano has continued to spread. I just brush it off or siphon it during water changes, but thats about it. Does anyone have any good ideas of how to get rid of it. I know there are threads and I've looked into them, just wondering if anyone has trying anything else.

Archived