Coral Vue Hydros

Nuvo 8/Nuvo 16

KSMART

Hi everyone! I recently picked up a IM Nuvo 8 off of marinedepot for my office at work. I currently have a 12 gallon jbj and a 24 gallon jbj and have become a huge fan of nano tanks.

I wanted to get something for my office that I could keep a few simple soft corals and maybe a fish. I must say that I am very pleased with this tank purchase. I think IM did a great job on this tank!

I added sand and water this morning.

post-77246-0-24187000-1375455418_thumb.jpg

post-77246-0-36740300-1375455475_thumb.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im excited to get back to the office tomorrow to see it all cleared up! Any recommendations on fish? I'm thinking a clown goby or maybe a damsel just to keep it simple.

Tailspot blenny- I feed my corals but he takes care of pods for me and whatever else he finds on the rocks. It's great to have a fish you don't have to worry about.

Tailspot blenny- I feed my corals but he takes care of pods for me and whatever else he finds on the rocks. It's great to have a fish you don't have to worry about.

Plus 1 on the tailspot. Stays small and has the best comical behavior.

Looking pretty clear today. Water is freezing tho which surprised me a little. I ordered a heater and should have that before the weeks end then I plan on bringing a cup of sand from my other tanks to help seed this.

Thanks for your input on the fish. I've never had a tailspot but will definitely look into it.

post-77246-0-45318200-1375724075_thumb.jpg

For color you can't beat a yellow tail damsel, but a shrimp-goby pair would also be pretty cool (you would probably have to add a little more sand though)

Yeah I've considered a yellow tail damsel just because I know they are hardy as well. Im only thinking to have 1 fish in this tank so I dont need to worry about it being a jerk? maybe it will attack it's reflection in the glass ;) lol

I wonder if the sand particles I have now is too big for a goby, I do think that would be cool. I'm thinking if I go with the tailspot, I'll do a fireshrimp or peppermint shrimp and maybe a emerald crab once its more established.

Yeah I've considered a yellow tail damsel just because I know they are hardy as well. Im only thinking to have 1 fish in this tank so I dont need to worry about it being a jerk? maybe it will attack it's reflection in the glass ;) lol

I wonder if the sand particles I have now is too big for a goby, I do think that would be cool. I'm thinking if I go with the tailspot, I'll do a fireshrimp or peppermint shrimp and maybe a emerald crab once its more established.

Nice choices of fish and inverts. For sheer fun and comical behavior, go with the Blenny. For color go with the damsel. The fireshrimp will add a great splash of red. I personally prefer the porcelain crab over the emerald. The porcelain in my opinion is a lot more reef safe. It uses fan like extensions to catch particles of food which is interesting and entertaining to watch.

Nice choices of fish and inverts. For sheer fun and comical behavior, go with the Blenny. For color go with the damsel. The fireshrimp will add a great splash of red. I personally prefer the porcelain crab over the emerald. The porcelain in my opinion is a lot more reef safe. It uses fan like extensions to catch particles of food which is interesting and entertaining to watch.

+1 on no emerald crab,I had one that algae at first, but then slowly adapted its diet to include anything I put in the tank. (left my fish alone though)

And yeah what's the worst the damsel could do haha beat itself up lol, if you ever need to get it out of your tank though you're going to have some serious fun

cool thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into a porcelain crab then. Dont think I've ever seen one at the LFS but I dont think I've ever looked either. I've had damsels before so as of now Im leaning more towards the blenny.

So with much regret I have to admit that Im an idiot and im pretty ticked off at myself. Yesterday I was putting the glass lid back on the tank I was sitting down in my office chair and not paying enough attention I bumped the top left corner of the tank just above the water line and yes it chipped the tank :(

It didnt do anything to the integrity of the tank and it is minimal but I know its there and I sure let it tick me off. this is the only tank that I have ever purchased brand new and I had to go and chip it. I know once the tank is full of livestock it will not be noticeable but its just one of those things that likes to eat at me. I know it could be worse...

Someone please tell me something to make me feel better?!?! lol. ... disappointment.

Polarcollision

+1 for the blenny! I never knew fish could be as interesting as a cat or dog until getting mine.

Oh man, I feel like I'm going to crack my glass too. It's waaaaay too easy to whack it with the lid. Hey - what do you think about those rock chip repairs for windshields? They claim you can't see evidence of the crack if it's done right.

Happy to see another Nuvo 8 popping up! Can't wait to see what you do with yours!!

Ya I'm thinking that a lid made of acrylic would be good for me lol. I actually bought a windshield repair kit last night and used it on the chip today. The only catch is that it needs uv light to cure and I don't have one. It was looking pretty good though before I left work. I'll keep you posted. I researched using one of these kits and couldn't really find anything so I'm interested to see.

My heater comes Saturday per the tracking but I wont be here so hopefully they'll come back Monday and then I start getting this bad boy cycled.

That live rock looks very lonely. Can't wait to see some life in there.

yes very lonely indeed lol. If I have time this weekend I'll stop by the LFS to pick up some more rock. Those pieces in there now came from my other tank to help seed this one however because I have no heater the water is much colder than I thought it would be and so Im pretty sure everything on that live rock died.

Sweet tank! :)

Thanks! I love it so far!

Archived