Top Shelf Aquatics

The Seahorse Club!

Felicia

I've kept zoster for 2 yrs. And there a lot of work. Now I'm setting up a new 35 hex for a pair of reidi. But I found some Hawaiian fisheri that are just awesome. Ocean rider is selling them. There just 2" and eat frozen. And they have nice colors to them. There not cheap but they'd work well in a nano tank. So I might have to save up for them.

I also saw those and wondered about them. I'm a newbie when it comes to seahorses so I plan to go with H erectus since they are the hardiest but I figured if I ever convert my bowfront into a seahorse tank that those might be cool.

Just wanted to thank Felicia for starting this forum. I am just thinking about setting up a 3 gallon nano with seahorses. Just doing my homework now and this forum is a great place to start! Thanks! B)

Be well,

Pax

3 Fluval desktop (not set up)

14 Nanocube (quarantine/live rock)

29 Biocube (live reef, LPS, Mushrooms, leathers,Tomato clown, Purple dotty back)

48 Lookdown (not set up yet!)

• Like 1
Just wanted to thank Felicia for starting this forum. I am just thinking about setting up a 3 gallon nano with seahorses. Just doing my homework now and this forum is a great place to start! Thanks! B)

Be well,

Pax

3 Fluval desktop (not set up)

14 Nanocube (quarantine/live rock)

29 Biocube (live reef, LPS, Mushrooms, leathers,Tomato clown, Purple dotty back)

48 Lookdown (not set up yet!)

Good luck in your new venture!

I am sure you have all heard about this already, but in case someone hasn't, H. Bargibanti has recently been successfully bred! Read a little more about it here: http://reefbuilders.com/2014/06/17/pygmy-seahorses-officially-cutest/. I don't know about you guys, but personally, these are some of my dream seahorses. I think it would be awesome (if not necessarily practical) to have a 5 or 10 gallon nano NPS reef full of Murciella paraplectana (their host gorgonians) with these guys as the star of the show. An ADA Mini M or 60P would be perfect to show them off. Feeding them would be troublesome, though. Still, a girl can dream! Maybe someday that set up will be possible!

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I am sure you have all heard about this already, but in case someone hasn't, H. Bargibanti has recently been successfully bred! Read a little more about it here: http://reefbuilders.com/2014/06/17/pygmy-seahorses-officially-cutest/. I don't know about you guys, but personally, these are some of my dream seahorses. I think it would be awesome (if not necessarily practical) to have a 5 or 10 gallon nano NPS reef full of Murciella paraplectana (their host gorgonians) with these guys as the star of the show. An ADA Mini M or 60P would be perfect to show them off. Feeding them would be troublesome, though. Still, a girl can dream! Maybe someday that set up will be possible!

Not practical for any private aquarium. Not even really practical for most public aquariums!

Like I said, awesome... but not practical. Oh well.

Then again, is any part of reef keeping practical? I mean, some people build entirely new houses just to have a big tank! And I am pretty sure that the cumulative expense of a lifetime of reefkeeping would be enough to buy a yacht.

But yeah, H. Bargibanti are not practical at all. Shame, that.

aaaaaaaaaaaaw, they're adorable.

I always loved them before I kept them but I really had no idea just how exquisite and charming they really are!

BTW, I was looking at your flower tank yesterday and its beautiful!

• Like 1

I always loved them before I kept them but I really had no idea just how exquisite and charming they really are!

BTW, I was looking at your flower tank yesterday and its beautiful!

ty, it's only been 5 mos w/ water and nems so it's still a young big tank and if could just get rid of the cyano, slowly but surely. Can't wait til one fine day I see white sand.

• Like 1

ty, it's only been 5 mos w/ water and nems so it's still a young big tank and if could just get rid of the cyano, slowly but surely. Can't wait til one fine day I see white sand.

I know what you mean, I started the pony tank in May(so its also pretty new) and I didn't even have much bioload until 2 weeks ago when the ponies and pipes arrived but I have some cyano on the sand as well. It puzzles me because the pony tank is connected to my well established LPS tank via sump and the sand in the LPS tank is snow white. Maybe its the difference in the cuc. The LPS tank has hermits and a cuke. They aren't safe with ponies so that tanks has snails, peppermint shrimp and a green lettuce nudibranch. The cyano is right in front of a power head too which also puzzles me?

• 1 year later...

He had 50-65 but i will not try to raise them this time but il try next time as he is allready gravid/pregnant.

Ha ha, isn't that funny how they deliver their fry in the morning, begin to court in the afternoon and by evening the male is pregnant again! Where is the down time in that system? Have you ever raised fry? I raised 15 out of 22 last winter and you can read about it in my thread if you are interested. I can tell you that it is a huge amount of work and it ties you down a lot, which is why I have been giving my fry away ever since.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Felicia, your tank is beautiful!  Are the corals all real?  My husband and I have a 32 gallon BIO cube and we have a few fish and lots of corals.  We have enjoyed it tremendously.  I have always had a thing for seahorses so my husband bought me a 16 gallon Bio cube so I could get a pair of seahorses.  I am very excited and also very nervous.  I always want to make sure that any critter under my care is happy and comfortable.  Bio cubes are tall and the guy at our fish store has told us that it's fine for seahorses.  I have read quite a bit of material and there are so many mixed opinions I am not sure what to think.  Do you have any insight?

How long did it take your tank to be Seahorse ready?  I'm thinking at least 6 months.

For tank mates I was planning a Mandarin goby, a couple of snails, cleaner shrimp and perhaps a pipe fish.  My thought was I could get these folks established along with my corals and then add the seahorses when the tank is mature.

Any other advice or direction?

• 1 month later...
Pete Giwojna

Corona virus update: Ocean Rider is still operating!

Fellows seahorse lovers:

With the entire State of Hawaii in lockdown, and because of all of the travel bans and restrictions that are now in place throughout the United States, many hobbyists are wondering if Ocean Rider is still conducting business.

The seahorse farm is indeed closed to the general public and no tours are taking place, but I am happy to report that Ocean Rider is still filling orders and shipping seahorses throughout the Continental United States. In fact, they have more gorgeous seahorses available right now than ever before and are doing their part to make being stuck at home a little more palatable by offering some special incentives to hobbyists.

For instance, Ocean Rider is again providing a portion of live red feeder shrimp (Halocaridina rubra) along with their Special Packages, free of charge, and is also offering free upgrades from Mustangs to colorful Sunbursts for preferred customers.

With school canceled indefinitely for many students and many people now working from home and practicing social distancing, this is a great time to devote more time to our aquariums and seahorse tanks, and Ocean Rider is currently offering enough Specials and bargain deals to satisfy everyone’s needs and interests in that regard.

So this is the perfect opportunity to get a beautiful new seahorse or two to add color and interest in your aquarium while having your ponies delivered directly to your doorstep.  That’s right, even if you are “sheltering in place,” your new seahorses will arrive directly at your front door, and you never have to leave home to get them.

Stay safe and stay healthy, everybody!

Happy Trails!

Pete Giwojna, Ocean Rider Tech Support

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, quick question- for beginners, are H. Erectus or H. Reidi better? I've seen their care levels referred to as fairly even besides breeding. TIA!