inTank Media Baskets

Drilled Cube

ihatesears18

ihatesears18

Well my yellow watchmen goby recently jumped out of this tank http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/192675-bc8fish-jumped-new-direction/ so I'm using a fish free tank as an opportunity to start fresh.

Equipment:

Mr. Aqua 12"x12"x12" cube

Coral Compulsion 14K full spectrum dimmable par38

Coral Compulsion black bendable light fixture

MP10

Stand - from Biocube

ATO from autotopoff.com

Cobalt Neotherm 50w heater

Micro Reef 2.5 gallon sump

Glass-holes nano overflow

Glass-holes 1/2" return with flare nozzle

Dry rock (I'm going to try to do two islands with minimal rock in the display) - will pick up locally and bust up with a hammer!

Livestock plans:

Sexy shrimp!

(fish undetermined, must not be a notorious jumper)

Zoas

Palys

Rics

Hammer

Duncans

Acans

Maxi Mini nems

Maaaaybe a clam eventually

Bulb Specs:

2 Deep Blue 455nm

4 Neutral White 4500k

2 Cool Blue 470nm

2 True Violet 420nm

1 Deep Red 660nm

1 Cyan 495nm

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm considering starting a Mr. Aqua 12" cube and keep going back and forth on simple with an AC70 or drilled with a sump. Leaning towards simple with an AC70 and inTank media basket. Already have an overly complicated setup with sump, skimmer, reactors, etc and think something more simple and easier to work on will suite me better.

ihatesears18

I'm considering starting a Mr. Aqua 12" cube and keep going back and forth on simple with an AC70 or drilled with a sump. Leaning towards simple with an AC70 and inTank media basket. Already have an overly complicated setup with sump, skimmer, reactors, etc and think something more simple and easier to work on will suite me better.

Today is the last day of the 20% off sale at Marine Depot. I got the tank for $47 shipped! I'm going back and forth as well. I've already cracked a 40b drilling and am kinda gun shy now.

Drill!

What are your livestock plans?

mixed reef more than likely. i'm thinking sexy shrimp for livestock. i don't want to put a top on this so i'm not sure if i'll put a fish in it. any ideas?

Today is the last day of the 20% off sale at Marine Depot. I got the tank for $47 shipped! I'm going back and forth as well. I've already cracked a 40b drilling and am kinda gun shy now.

Nice tank: I was originally going to go that route but then opted for the larger 13-gal bow-front as I had an online coupon and CC points. I'm with the others and suggest drilling if you want to keep the sleek, low profile look. I can also totally understand the hesitation - I just drilled mine this past weekend (first time ever) and was happy it worked out - deets on the drilling via my build page. Perhaps you can find a LFS, glass shop or even a local reefer who would be willing to assist? Another option I just discovered: check to see if there is a local trade or vocational school in your area - they may do it for *free*. I met someone at a coffee shop this morning that went that route and was successful.

Good luck and keep us updated!

ihatesears18

I had a LFS drill my 40b (that is on hold until my wife graduates) but they are no longer in business. I'll call around tomorrow and see. I agree that drilling is the best option. I'm thinking about a 2.5 gallon sump with an IM Minimax with GFO & carbon. I'm not sure if I'll skim or not.

ihatesears18

Ok so I'm gonna drill this thing. If I crack it I'm out $47. Glass holes super nano w/ teeth, with a 1/2" return & Eheim 1000 return pump ought to do.

haha its funny because i was in the same boat ur in but i have a cad light 18 i wanna drill but dnt knw if i can. am also getting a mr.aqua 12" cube and wanted to upgrade that drill it and use my existing 5.5 as a fuge.. lol cant make up my mind on.

cant waint to see wat ur tank looks like afterwards i had almost all the same equitment as u have in mind.

ihatesears18

Cant wait to see this build! I just got the 7.5 for my sump and it looks awesome!

Thanks! The master plan is to have this system plumbed into my 40 breeder system when I finally get it up and running.

Thanks! The master plan is to have this system plumbed into my 40 breeder system when I finally get it up and running.

Sweet! It would be cool to plumb multiple tanks together!

ihatesears18

LFS dude freaked when I told him I was gonna drill. He said I could maybe put one hole in but not two. Does this statement hold water?

Does this statement hold water?

Love the pun :)

So does anyone have experience drilling glass that is less than 1/4" thick? Should I be worried?

I suppose it all depends. Firstly, I'm no glass-drilling professional so the below is based solely on my own research and personal experience. No warranties ... YMMV (your mileage may vary) :)

There should be no issue with drilling glass of most thicknesses. I believe the Mr. Aqua 12" Cube is 5mm glass? I looked at those same tanks as I too am building a system that connects separate, smaller tanks to act as sump, refugium and return. The factors that should be considered are: thickness of glass, size of the hole to be drilled, distance between holes and distance from the edge of glass. Holes that are too close to one another and/or holes that are too close to the edge of glass panes could lend to decreased stability in the structure. *crrrrack!* *sPPPLOOshhh* *Oh Noe!!!*

Take a look at my build thread (in my signature) as there is a formula that will help determine the "safe area" for drilling as well as a few pointers based on lessons I've learned from doing this as a total noob, from generous internet searches, asking a few folks down at my local glass shop and even a neighbour who happens to be a mechanical engineer (total brainiac). You mentioned you'll be using 1/2" holes & bulkheads? That is the size I have used in my Display Tank (Mr. Aqua 13.3 gallon) and what I will be using below in the smaller units. Overall, I would think two 1/2" holes in one 12" sq pane would be fine. Just keep in mind placement and the overall size of the bulkhead fixture itself: my 1/2" bulkhead is actually ~2" wide due to the flange, etc. Two of these in a single row on a 12" pane might not be so good but two of these offset may be doable.

You could always forego drilling and utilise multiple smaller pumps and simply pump out over the edge but that could lead to potential overfills should one of the pumps malfunction, a line becomes clogged (silly little snails!), etc. Additionally, you would need to ensure the flow rate of each pump is 100% in-tune with one another. That could be quite frustrating and would most likely require several valves to gate the flow. To prevent this, I'll be drilling two 1/2" holes in each smaller tank and using one pump along with gravity & path-of-least resistance to feed them. But I digress ... back to drilling ...

Short answer: one 1/2" hole in a 12" pane should be no issue as long as there is not a tremendous amount of stress on the bulkhead (support those lines!) and you're not too close to the edges. Two 1/2" holes with careful placement should also be doable. :)

ihatesears18

Love the pun :)

I suppose it all depends. Firstly, I'm no glass-drilling professional so the below is based solely on my own research and personal experience. No warranties ... YMMV (your mileage may vary) :)

There should be no issue with drilling glass of most thicknesses. I believe the Mr. Aqua 12" Cube is 5mm glass? I looked at those same tanks as I too am building a system that connects separate, smaller tanks to act as sump, refugium and return. The factors that should be considered are: thickness of glass, size of the hole to be drilled, distance between holes and distance from the edge of glass. Holes that are too close to one another and/or holes that are too close to the edge of glass panes could lend to decreased stability in the structure. *crrrrack!* *sPPPLOOshhh* *Oh Noe!!!*

Take a look at my build thread (in my signature) as there is a formula that will help determine the "safe area" for drilling as well as a few pointers based on lessons I've learned from doing this as a total noob, from generous internet searches, asking a few folks down at my local glass shop and even a neighbour who happens to be a mechanical engineer (total brainiac). You mentioned you'll be using 1/2" holes & bulkheads? That is the size I have used in my Display Tank (Mr. Aqua 13.3 gallon) and what I will be using below in the smaller units. Overall, I would think two 1/2" holes in one 12" sq pane would be fine. Just keep in mind placement and the overall size of the bulkhead fixture itself: my 1/2" bulkhead is actually ~2" wide due to the flange, etc. Two of these in a single row on a 12" pane might not be so good but two of these offset may be doable.

You could always forego drilling and utilise multiple smaller pumps and simply pump out over the edge but that could lead to potential overfills should one of the pumps malfunction, a line becomes clogged (silly little snails!), etc. Additionally, you would need to ensure the flow rate of each pump is 100% in-tune with one another. That could be quite frustrating and would most likely require several valves to gate the flow. To prevent this, I'll be drilling two 1/2" holes in each smaller tank and using one pump along with gravity & path-of-least resistance to feed them. But I digress ... back to drilling ...

Short answer: one 1/2" hole in a 12" pane should be no issue as long as there is not a tremendous amount of stress on the bulkhead (support those lines!) and you're not too close to the edges. Two 1/2" holes with careful placement should also be doable. :)

The overflow would be a 1 3/4" hole with a 1" bulkhead, and the return would be a 1 1/8" hole with a 1/2" bulkhead. I made a quick sketch of it in AutoCAD yesterday and the holes didn't look too close together. I'd really hate to crack this thing or worse---have it crack while full.

The overflow would be a 1 3/4" hole with a 1" bulkhead, and the return would be a 1 1/8" hole with a 1/2" bulkhead. I made a quick sketch of it in AutoCAD yesterday and the holes didn't look too close together. I'd really hate to crack this thing or worse---have it crack while full.

Understand. Just use the formula to make sure you're not too close to the edge or that the holes are not too close together. For my 13-gallon I opted to cut the holes two inches from the edge, centre of hole to edge although I believe I only needed 1.75" - just wanted to be sure. Also, a 1" bulkhead would be approximately 2.6" wide if I remember correctly so make sure to take that space requirement into account when drilling.

Now, these are only my suggestions and YMMV but ... Key things to remember when drilling: apply NO pressure - let the drill bit do ALL the work in combination with the weight of the drill. Go VERY slow, no more than 160RPM. Remember: you are sanding the glass away not drilling through it. Grab the glass out of an old picture frame and make a few practice holes in order to get a feel of how it works. It took me about 20 minutes to drill one hole - I took several breaks to make sure I was not adding pressure - so have patience with it.

I was uber-nervous about drilling but after making several practice holes I was all "I gots this!" :happy:

ihatesears18

Here's the layout I'm thinking about:

cube_zps07b8207d.jpg

The edge of the holes are 1.5" from the top and over 2" from the sides. Ignore the tang, it is only an illusion.

ihatesears18

I did some measuring today and the stand is smaller than I thought. This rules out the IM Minimax. I'll get a BRS single reactor instead.

ihatesears18

I went to Petsmart today and actually looked at a 2.5 gallon...man that thing is small! I would barely be able to fit anything in there, so I'm now wondering if it's even worth it. I already have an AC70, and could get a inTank media basket....

What say you, nano-reef?

i say drill it! lol am doing that after i made up my mind! i was thinking of either doing a 10g diy fuge or using the 5.5g i have setup now.

ihatesears18

i say drill it! lol am doing that after i made up my mind! i was thinking of either doing a 10g diy fuge or using the 5.5g i have setup now.

I only have room for a 2.5 gallon sump, which doesn't seem worth it.

2.5gal sump for a 12" cube is not a good idea. Make room and use a HD 5gal pale is you have to. or even a small bathroom garbage bucket and diy a sump. or build your stand larger to fit a larger sump. Search other people drilled mr aquas 12" cubes. many ppl have drilled them easy and it works well.

Archived