Cultivated Reef

CadLights 47G Starfire

Ebn

Jackal_Knight

sweet, looking tank. Can't wait to see it all set up. great job on the sump. major props for making it your self. i only have one question did you put it together at your office?

• Like 1

sweet, looking tank. Can't wait to see it all set up. great job on the sump. major props for making it your self. i only have one question did you put it together at your office?

Yeah, I did. I wanted to lay the pieces out and there's a 10' table in there to sprawl out on. I did get a funny look from the cleaning lady. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

what happens if you get a promotion. i still cant believe your employer let you put this big ass tank in your office/cubical/whatever youre in now

I've gone through a few promotions and still in the same spot so I think it'll be fine. I should have just started the ADA tank at work instead.

this is looking awesome. i can't wait to see it all together!

Thanks!

What kind of work do you do and what does it pay? Is there another cubical available? lol

Hybrid roll between finance and database management in the private higher ed sector with it starting to shift over to more of the operational and staffing side in the coming year. It pays peanuts for what it is (considering the demographics around these parts). There are indeed empty cubicles around and I just gave the okay to fly someone out here from TX for an interview on Monday. :P

Tank freighting up north on Monday, so we'll see if that time table holds. Also excited to see what the custom light fixture for the pico starfire looks like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Dredging this one up from the depths. It's been laying dormant until recently...

Moved into the office a couple of months ago. Here's where the tank will be situated.

162381140.WrDuuXTs.jpg

Made some changes along the way, such as replacing the Aquamaxx ConeS CO-1 with a Vertex Omega 150 even before it got wet (passed the BNIB Aquamaxx to a buddy for a discount).

162495861.eJdp8n9r.jpg

Good thing about the Vertex is that it still fits in the first chamber that I built for the skimmer.

162496082.jpg

Plumbed it finally got started running water through the system last week.

underneathtank_032916.jpg

The Eheims were too tall to really be of actual use so I've swapped them out with a Finnex 150W titanium heater instead.

Filled and off we go with cycling. 60 drops of ammonia added plus 4 oz. of Dr. Tim's bacteria.

tank_033016.jpg

Now we wait...

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up some SPS from a reefer passing through the area. OG lineaged pieces. With the exception of the first shot, the rest of them are taken in cups prior to dipping in Bayer. You can see how well colored they are even w/just sunlight.

frags_tfp.jpg

Miyagi tort. That single corallite will be mounted for growing out.

miyagi_tort.jpg

Red dragon. Parts of it fell off during transportation. Gonna mount the other half on a different plug. Same w/the nub.

red_dragon.jpg

Orenji danae. I remember driving 2 hours back in the day for a piece of this from Unarce. Same lineage.

orenji_danae.jpg

Icefire echinata. Probably my favorite SPS.

icefire_echinata.jpg

Last but not least, the Oregon tort.

oregon_tort.jpg

• Like 3

In the tank after dipping.

One of the pieces of the red dragon

red_dragon_intank.jpg

Miyagi tort

miyagi_tort_intank.jpg

Orenji danae

orenji_danae_intank.jpg

Icefire. Rotated but didn't bothered retaking the picture.

icefire_echinata_intank.jpg

Oregon tort next to a couple of SPS testers. The blurred out one is a blue tipped insignis. You can see how the Oregon tort is colored and totally blows it out of the water. :wub:

oregon_tort_intank.jpg

Never posted this one, but here's a maricultured SPS that I used as a tester. Never browned out and actually lightened up with the lack of nutrients in the tank (no idea what the nitrate actually is).

ac_mariculture.jpg

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Sweet frags !!

Thanks!

Those are beautiful SPS frags! The Oregon tort and red dragon ones are stunning!

Thank you!

Quick comp of some of the other stuff in the tank. Been dumping food into the tank to up nutrients and get some colors back into the pale SPS.

20160616_composition.jpg

• Like 2

Beautiful corals! Happen to have a full tank shot?

It's great to see this tank back up and running Ebn! Great livestock selection so far, you have some really vivid specimens!

I'd love to see a FTS too :)

Thanks! No FTS since I don't usually take them especially in the early stages since a lot of it is always moving around. I still have to glue the rocks to each other and then mount the corals since these bulldozing turbos (Mexicans + zebras) keeps on knocking everything over, including my poor little clam. I'll start posting those once I have more time on my hands (fiscal year end this month).

Just received and picked up a couple of new toys today, one of which is for the tank.

toys_dash_neptunedos.jpg

Not exactly sure which one I'm more excited about. :wub:

• Like 2

Thanks! No FTS since I don't usually take them especially in the early stages since a lot of it is always moving around. I still have to glue the rocks to each other and then mount the corals since these bulldozing turbos (Mexicans + zebras) keeps on knocking everything over, including my poor little clam. I'll start posting those once I have more time on my hands (fiscal year end this month).

Just received and picked up a couple of new toys today, one of which is for the tank.

toys_dash_neptunedos.jpg

Not exactly sure which one I'm more excited about. :wub:

you should definitely do a follow up post on the dash, im stuck between them and earin and im not sure which one im going to go with!