Cultivated Reef

MR.FEESH's Photos

MR.FEESH

Hello gang! I used to post photos here a long while back, but as I took a four year break from the hobby due to moving away for college, I haven't been active. I'm fresh out of school now with a salary to blow on fish and photos :) I just wanted to create a space where I could share some of my reef photos and videos with the community as I get back into the hobby. Also I love flowers so you'll probably get a good dose of those as well.

I used to shoot for a long time with a rather unusual setup-- a Sigma SD14, which was basically a film camera with an LCD screen. Super finicky, no features whatsoever, completely bare bones. However it was my first DSLR and I loved it to death. It helped me determine my preferred shooting style, and since there were no tools nor features, it gave me disciplined shooting technique/ethic. Unfortunately I had to sell the all Sigma setup, but I'll always be glad I went out on a limb and picked a 'weird' camera for my first DSLR. Hopefully down the road I'll be able to pick up another Sigma body just to save for those really detail & color oriented macro shots. These are some of my favorite examples of the fun I had.

My cleaned out and juiced up tank is now in the process of restarting, and I figured it'd be a good time to get a camera to document its progress. A Nikon D7000 is in the mail, along with a Sigma 70mm macro lens-- the same that I used with my last body and that I know is sharp as a tack with beautiful bokeh, and rich colors. I'm kind of scared of how I'll get used to having ISO that actually works, or video capture, or live view, or white balance, but I guess that's part of the fun of getting a new toy. I'll be adding any reef photos to my tank thread (found in my sig), but it'll be nice to have a consolidated block of pure images and vids here. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy!

5749859494_8119650d87_b.jpg

Shoot RAW with jpg and don't worry too much about white balance, fix it in post on the RAW of your keepers.

I like your work here.

dat lighting :wub:

Looks like your avatar!

:happy:

:happy:

Shoot RAW with jpg and don't worry too much about white balance, fix it in post on the RAW of your keepers.

I like your work here.

Gotcha, and thanks!

------

The D7000 came in yesterday. ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg But really though. I knew there were a ton of auto focus points but not that there are like 10 settings that change the way the auto focus thinks. Also, AE-L/AF-L, & focus lock = :blink: Why not just shoot in S or A modes, or manual focus haha

That having been said, there are a lot of features I'm really impressed with. ISO is an amazing technology. Custom white balance and two user profile settings will be really useful for photographing my tank. The video really blows me away too. I don't use auto focus for anything really, but the fact that there's a utility to fine tune AF to the specific lens you're using is really thoughtful. Two memory card slots, battery lasts for what seems like years...I'm really impressed.

I added LR yesterday and my Sigma 70mm comes tonight, so I should have my first tanks shots available after work.

Manual focus is a pain with many auto focus lenses. They are very sensitive for one. Second they go past infinity.

If you want to use manual focus use a manual focus lens. The Zeiss ZF.2s are awesome and manual focus with them is a pleasure.

Remember you can have a million focus points, and I don't really think they matter much; your lens can only focus one one plane in space at a time.

• 1 month later...

So I know this isn't fish related, but I finally took my new system on its first photo outing while a friend was visiting me here in DC. I'm wildly impressed with the technology, and the lens continues to stun me. Enjoy :happy:

9697986042_9c3a263a30.jpg
DSC_0575 by MR.FEESH, on Flickr

9697986178_9b66a2b581.jpg
DSC_0580 by MR.FEESH, on Flickr

9697986334_0754a1b442.jpg
DSC_0581 by MR.FEESH, on Flickr

9697986498_2e335f356b.jpg
DSC_0589 by MR.FEESH, on Flickr

9697986656_cca686327e.jpg
DSC_0592 by MR.FEESH, on Flickr

9697986780_e8ed180e22.jpg
DSC_0604 by MR.FEESH, on Flickr

9697996004_0c6850e1ef.jpg
DSC_0610 by MR.FEESH, on Flickr

9697996146_8ba1273814.jpg
DSC_0619 by MR.FEESH, on Flickr

9697996256_2b501db29f.jpg
DSC_0624 by MR.FEESH, on Flickr

9697996350_830a83f78f.jpg
DSC_0635 by MR.FEESH, on Flickr

9697996440_5d4f49c47a.jpg
DSC_0639 by MR.FEESH, on Flickr

9697996576_7a800765fc.jpg
DSC_0641 by MR.FEESH, on Flickr

9694767897_4b37f5ed5e.jpg
DSC_0646 by MR.FEESH, on Flickr

Excellent shots! I love your framing and composition. :happy:

Thanks very much!

Awesome photos. The cactus is my favorite. I shoot with D7000 too and love it. Been itching to upgrade to D600 but not sure if FX is worth it. Are all the photos taken with Sigma 70mm macro?

I'm definitely enjoying the body so far! All of the pics were with the 70mm macro, yes. Waiting for good eBay deals on old nikkor manual focus lenses from like the 80s haha. Think 28mm and 50mm will give me a decent collection between the three.

Archived