Coral Vue Hydros

KG's Reef² Coming Down

kguske2

So my fiancé tells me when I walk in the door that she got something for the tank because she's tired of it having no fish...

null-24.jpg

We now have fish!

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 5 of cycle. Tests are as follows

Ammonia: 1.5ppm

Nitrite: 1ppm

Today is the first day the nitrite test showed a reading. Ammonia has been at 1.5ppm since day 1.

Nice setup! Looks like the cycle is comin along nicely.Nitrite phase normaly takes the longest but they will disappear suddenly overnight.cant wait to see more updates!

Cycling day 7 and I don't know if I have a problem or not. So i grabbed an API test kit just to be able to check against multiple sources. The API has my Ammonia at 8ppm, much higher than the 1.5 I was reading on the Salifert test kit.

So my question is this. Is there a point where ammonia dosing is too high? And if so, is 8ppm too high?? Or will this just take longer to process and begin to lower?

Thanks!

I would think that its probably more than you need, but it could be that your test went bad. In any case I don't think you need to do anything, it should come down as it's converted to nitrite. It'll just take longer than with a lower concentration. On a positive note, you should have some pretty good levels of bacteria built up if they can process 8ppm Ammonia!!!

Day 14:

Ammonia: 8ppm

Nitrite: 5 ppm

PH: 8.0

Definitely think putting so much ammonia in to begin with has slowed down this cycle. I would think by now I should've seen some drop!

Day 16 of the cycle!

Ammonia: somewhere inbetween 4 and 8ppm

Nitrite: 5 ppm. Turns purple as soon as the test solution hits the water.

First drop in ammonia! Who knew a test tube could be so exciting!

Day 16 of the cycle!

Ammonia: somewhere inbetween 4 and 8ppm

First drop in ammonia! Who knew a test tube could be so exciting!

Totally understand. The day I saw that first ammonia drop I let out a big "WooHoo!" and from my experience it drops slowly then rapidly then plateaus and you go all *sigh* then suddenly it's gone and the diatoms move in. It may just be diatoms but to me it was *life* in the tank :). Hang in there. The cycle period is the perfect time to become accustomed to properly taking water parameters ... even those silly API colour charts become somewhat easier. :)

Following along!

Day 18 of the cycling tank of mine!

Ammonia: inbetween 1 and 2ppm. Tomorrow may be time to "spike the punch" and add a bit of ammonia.

Day 20 of this ol' cycle!

So I added ammonia yesterday to bring up the reading to 2ppm. Yesterday it was .25ppm. As of today my results are as follows:

Ammonia: 1ppm

Nitrite: 5ppm. Again the solution turns immediately purple

Nitrate: between 5-10ppm. First time I've measured nitrate!

Day 24 and counting. Kinda feel like I'm getting near the end! Or hoping anyway!

Ammonia: .25 ppm. I dosed it back to 2ppm after testing

Nitrite: 5ppm. It is starting to take longer to change purple so I think it's dropping.

Nitrate: looks like 80ppm

Ammonia seems to be processed faster now, taking about 48 hours to go from 2ppm to 0ppm

Day 27.....

Ammonia:1ppm...I had spiked it to 2ppm the day before

Nitrite:5ppm...still taking longer to turn purple

Nitrate: 160...turns dark red almost instantly after shaking the tube

PH:7.8

Go away nitrite!!!! :angry:

Day 33. Just trudging along

Ammonia: .25 ppm

Nitrite: still shows 5ppm

Nitrate: 160ppm

PH: 7.8

Just been adding ammonia to raise it to around 2-3 ppm then letting it drop back to .25 and then adding more. I seem to be adding ammonia every other day. Hope this is the normal course of action. Definitely a long process and waiting time!!

wow.such.chris

I feel your pain. Started a 20 high with reef cleaners rock and 2 lbs of LR on August 1st and Im pretty much where youre at now. I've heard 8-10 week cycle is the minimum with dry rock.

I feel your pain. Started a 20 high with reef cleaners rock and 2 lbs of LR on August 1st and Im pretty much where youre at now. I've heard 8-10 week cycle is the minimum with dry rock.

Yea I'm getting tempted to add a little bit of live rock to potentially jump start it but I don't know if that would be beneficial at this point

Archived