Pod Your Reef

Jacks Big, Wet, Infected Shit-Box....trip to the Clinica

jack1978

Once the turf algae was gone..............did it ever come back?
I hear people say it does but as long as it doesn't have runners deep into the rock, it shouldnt. Both of those animals actually scrape the rock up along with the algae. It's why you shouldn't have them in an acrylic tank. I had a few deep spots that grow back when the waters dirty, but I would say 90% of it stayed away.

Once the turf algae was gone..............did it ever come back?
I hear people say it does but as long as it doesn't have runners deep into the rock, it shouldnt. Both of those animals actually scrape the rock up along with the algae. It's why you shouldn't have them in an acrylic tank. I had a few deep spots that grow back when the waters dirty, but I would say 90% of it stayed away.
Mine always did.... I had one of those pink urchins back in the day too, thing was a algae eating bad ass. But the turf algae always came back. I think it gets some deep roots or somethin.
I was AMAZED at how quickly that thing destroyed anything plant or algae based and even more amazed at how quickly it grew. I'm talking 5x the original size in less than a months time.
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was AMAZED at how quickly that thing destroyed anything plant or algae based and even more amazed at how quickly it grew. I'm talking 5x the original size in less than a months time.

Yeah mine started around golf ball size maybe slightly bigger, I had it for about 4 years and it ended up being bigger then a baseball. It got around the tank pretty quick too when it wanted to, but when it was grazing it was slow and methodical lol

You think a bath in peroxide would kill the roots?

I would let it soak a while in 3% and re-cycle it in a bucket or something if it's a big piece.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

All gha is gone for a few weeks now. GFO has been off for a few weeks.....I think all the dry rock has finally finished leaching.

Also, the new light has done wonders...now that I'm not cooking all of my corals....everyone is nice and puffy.

Might have to set up a new tank in the new year if good things keep progressing.

Well, All gha is gone for a few weeks now. GFO has been off for a few weeks.....I think all the dry rock has finally finished leaching. Also, the new light has done wonders...now that I'm not cooking all of my corals....everyone is nice and puffy. Might have to set up a new tank in the new year if good things keep progressing.

:happydance:

Piglet pics? :lol:

:happydance:Piglet pics? :lol:

Ya.....it'll be a little while though. He road the 3 hour ride home in my little girls carseat....started out on the floor and decided to hop up in the seat....pretty agile.

My wife should be surprised when she gets home tonight from her Christmas party.

It

Loved it. I'll post pictures later.

I can't believe I added more shit to the daily routine. ...I'm an idiot.

:lol: more shit is right gonna need another trash pale on wheels ;)
:lol: more shit is right gonna need another trash pale on wheels ;)

Ya, I'm not the brightest bulb in the box......but my girls are over the moon with Charlie the Christmas Piglet.

Ya, I'm not the brightest bulb in the box......but my girls are over the moon with Charlie the Christmas Piglet.

Christmas Piglet? :o

:lol:

I can't wait to see some pictures of him!

Christmas Piglet? :o

:lol:

I can't wait to see some pictures of him!

Here you go, G! Charlie the Christmas Pig...........

Charlie.jpg

Hard to tell in the picture, but he has a pink heart shaped blotch on his nose.

CharlieScratch.jpg

.....and a good belly scratch. He's about 6 lbs.

So, here's the last month of projects....aka, Reef Fund Eaters.

The new patio with a lot of framing left to go. Eventually will have a roof and rock covered blockwork.

8d514f02-ad49-4a5e-a4eb-8ab7f53afdd5.jpg

Had to run about 80' of gasline to the firepit. Inspector informed me that he would like to see the gasline sleeved in PVC as it runs under a slab that could eventually be framed in and inhabited. The idea is that if there is a leak in the gasline, it will be trapped within the PVC which will allow the gas to leave the underside of the concrete and exit through a vent farther downline.....instead of an explosion. It turned a 3 or 4 hour job into a 3 day event. Assembling a gasline within a waterline is a pain in the ass to say the least.

GasLinePressureTest.jpg

GasLineinsidePVC.jpg

Testing.......

FirePitTest.jpg

Didn't blow myself up, and a decent sunset by the fire. Not too bad.

SunsetBackyard.jpg

So, here's the last month of projects....aka, Reef Fund Eaters.The new patio with a lot of framing left to go. Eventually will have a roof and rock covered blockwork.http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/jack1978/media/8d514f02-ad49-4a5e-a4eb-8ab7f53afdd5.jpg.html'>8d514f02-ad49-4a5e-a4eb-8ab7f53afdd5.jpgHad to run about 80' of gasline to the firepit. Inspector informed me that he would like to see the gasline sleeved in PVC as it runs under a slab that could eventually be framed in and inhabited. The idea is that if there is a leak in the gasline, it will be trapped within the PVC which will allow the gas to leave the underside of the concrete and exit through a vent farther downline.....instead of an explosion. It turned a 3 or 4 hour job into a 3 day event. Assembling a gasline within a waterline is a pain in the ass to say the least.http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/jack1978/media/GasLinePressureTest.jpg.html'>GasLinePressureTest.jpghttp://s1215.photobucket.com/user/jack1978/media/GasLineinsidePVC.jpg.html'>GasLineinsidePVC.jpgTesting.......http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/jack1978/media/FirePitTest.jpg.html'>FirePitTest.jpgDidn't blow myself up, and a decent sunset by the fire. Not too bad.http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/jack1978/media/SunsetBackyard.jpg.html'>SunsetBackyard.jpg
Looks nice! When should we expect it finished:)?

Looks nice! When should we expect it finished:)?

Ummm.....I have to Google that "finished" word first. After I find out what it means, I'll get back to you. fingerscrossed

Also per Californias regilations galvanized is not suitable for under ground and all pipe has to be 18 inches below ground. Better read up on your codes and regulations noob.

Also per Californias regilations galvanized is not suitable for under ground and all pipe has to be 18 inches below ground. Better read up on your codes and regulations noob.

12" if it is epoxy coated...or "wrapped". Otherwise, yes to 18" depth....or, if under a concrete slab 6".

The galvanized you see is for the pressure testing. All pipe is the epoxy coated green stuff. And, being that the entire run is ran inside of PVC, even the galvy would be fine.

I went with 14" - 16" depth, epoxy coated and incased in PVC. Suck it. :P

You bought a piggy for the kids?!

For my Wife.....although the kids have fallen in love with little Charlie. I'm a sucker for my Ladies!

........I held Charlie in my lap last night after the girls went to bed. We fell asleep on the couch watching TV together, shhh...the Ladies don't know.

Archived