Coral Vue Hydros

Jacks Big, Wet, Infected Shit-Box....trip to the Clinica

jack1978

Did you make the stand, or commandeer an old base? Looks really nice. The extra access doors would absolutely rock for something out in the open like that, no more having to crawl through to get to things!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL...if I thought it had even a slim chance I would have left it alone :). Stop trying to make me feel bad :lol:.The canopy looks great!!!!Get all the painting done?
Just teasing you.....I'm sure it was thankful to be put out of it's misery.Thanks for the canopy compliment...still have a few things to do to it.I finished the ceiling ....the walls should get done tonight, fingers crossed. Although I may have to repaint the entire thing....much darker than planned.

Did you make the stand, or commandeer an old base? Looks really nice. The extra access doors would absolutely rock for something out in the open like that, no more having to crawl through to get to things!
Thank you, it's a homemade stand with just that reasoning. The easier it is to access the sump, the more likely I am to do maintenance ... in theory that is.
I guess your not the type to test theories judging by that gha you had. :)

LOL, I was pretty sure it was the dry rock I used leaching....but tried to exhaust every other possible cause. I actually keep the nether regions fairly clean.

First day with the canopy hung. It was sitting directly on top of the aquarium....it's now approximately 12" above the rim. We'll see how the corals react and adjust intensity accordingly.

Lights on.....corals look "puffier"....light definitely has a better color blend.
More crap pics.

6a06be9d-e742-481f-adba-1dfbe31dac92.jpg

You can see how much stuff I lost to the GHA and heavy GFO. Once I'm sure the GHA is done, it'll be time to stuff this box. :)

Lights on.....corals look "puffier"....light definitely has a better color blend.

More crap pics.

6a06be9d-e742-481f-adba-1dfbe31dac92.jpg

You can see how much stuff I lost to the GHA and heavy GFO. Once I'm sure the GHA is done, it'll be time to stuff this box. :)

The good part about losing stuff.... lots of open real estate for goodies. I like the scape too :)

The good part about losing stuff.... lots of open real estate for goodies. I like the scape too :)

Definitely a plus to get new stuffs.....just years of grow out gone. Oh well...ON TO THE NEW!

Scape will change up a bit .... taking about 30lbs out.

Back to painting the bathroom....

Definitely a plus to get new stuffs.....just years of grow out gone. Oh well...ON TO THE NEW! Scape will change up a bit .... taking about 30lbs out. Back to painting the bathroom....

Yeah losing stuff definitely sucks I know 1st hand myself but moving on with the new is fun atleast.

im a "whatever isn't vodka" guy.

Same here for the most part but I definitely prefer whiskey. If I'm bbq'ing in the backyard or don't want the inevitable hang over I'll go for a a beer that's been in an ice chest all day. Idk why, but ice cold beer that's been on ice rather than in the fridge just seems to taste better, lol.

Same here for the most part but I definitely prefer whiskey. If I'm bbq'ing in the backyard or don't want the inevitable hang over I'll go for a a beer that's been in an ice chest all day. Idk why, but ice cold beer that's been on ice rather than in the fridge just seems to taste better, lol.

I do miss an ice cold beer on a hot summer day.

I do miss an ice cold beer on a hot summer day.

Not only do I miss the ice cold beer on a hot summer day, I miss the hot summer day itself!! This winter needs to go and stay gone for a looooooong time.

Not only do I miss the ice cold beer on a hot summer day, I miss the hot summer day itself!! This winter needs to go and stay gone for a looooooong time.

No way buddy. Anything over high 70's to 80's and I'm cook'n....give me some beachy fog!

No way buddy. Anything over high 70's to 80's and I'm cook'n....give me some beachy fog!

MI sounds about right for you then..... 70's to 80s is 90% of our summer.... but it only last 2-3 months lol

Just teasing you.....I'm sure it was thankful to be put out of it's misery. Thanks for the canopy compliment...still have a few things to do to it. I finished the ceiling ....the walls should get done tonight, fingers crossed. Although I may have to repaint the entire thing....much darker than planned.

What color is it? Last time I painted my bathroom (I hate painting, btw), I had a nice big headache by the end of the day. I just can't handle the fumes :).
What color is it? Last time I painted my bathroom (I hate painting, btw), I had a nice big headache by the end of the day. I just can't handle the fumes :).

Doesn't look like the card...kinda looks like peanut butter.....might be doing this all over again. Couple hours to go.

Doesn't look like the card...kinda looks like peanut butter.....might be doing this all over again. Couple hours to go.

LOL...peanut butter :).
LOL...peanut butter :).

Just got done with the edging. Peanut butter may have not quite been accurate.... more like baby poop brown.

Painting the remainder later....off to weed eat.

Just finished putting the bathroom back together 1:00am pst. Just need to hang the mirror tomorrow morning before our Easter breakfast peeps show up. The color looks better than I thought it would now that all walls are covered in it. However, the wifey f'n hates it. :rant:

Looks like the baby poop brown will be replaced with.....something. I hate painting.

The Whiskey is numbing the pain though. :happydance:

So on Friday I noticed my mandarin was missing… found him the next day, dead. :( I had received a bunch of copepods, but they arrived dead so I did not get him food in time. Total bummer. Then this morning I got a double whammy, noticed my peppermint shrimp was not in his usual hangout. Looked all around and have not found him yet. However, while looking for him I found 3 aiptasia (!!!). They quite literally have been hiding down in the crevices of some of the rock. They are just now pushing back up… really hope my shrimp is just hiding right now! Have an ATO arriving today so that will help with my salinity swings, but blah.

Just curious, has anyone had mushroom anemones that start out the day happy as can be, all large and lying flat… and then by later afternoon they are all shrunken down? Thinking they are getting too much light...

So on Friday I noticed my mandarin was missing… found him the next day, dead. :( I had received a bunch of copepods, but they arrived dead so I did not get him food in time. Total bummer. Then this morning I got a double whammy, noticed my peppermint shrimp was not in his usual hangout. Looked all around and have not found him yet. However, while looking for him I found 3 aiptasia (!!!). They quite literally have been hiding down in the crevices of some of the rock. They are just now pushing back up… really hope my shrimp is just hiding right now! Have an ATO arriving today so that will help with my salinity swings, but blah. Just curious, has anyone had mushroom anemones that start out the day happy as can be, all large and lying flat… and then by later afternoon they are all shrunken down? Thinking they are getting too much light...
Story to hear about the Mandy, they take a lot of dedication..... one reason I don't pick one up. ATO will be a great help.....I bought one a year ago and it's still in the box under my stand...along with the dosing pump, lol.For every one aiptasia you can see....there's 10 you don't. Your pep may have molted and is now hiding for a couple of days. Keep your hands out of the tank and see if he pops up.

...sounds like it may be too bright for your shrooms

Yeah, I was more than willing to put the effort in for the mandy, he was by far our favorite fish in the tank. I want to get another one, but will try to find one that is already trained if possible. I will make sure I am better prepared though before I get another one….

Yeah, I’m thinking the shrooms don’t like the light, but I sorta figure they will relocate if they dislike it too much. The zoa’s that are at the highest part of the tank appear to love the light as they finally started to grow and open up a lot more. They still have a long ways to go, but at least I’m seeing forward movement on them.

And that walking dendro has been relocating about every 2-3 days… does not move real far, but has about a 6”total range of motion so far. Seems to be very happy now. Pretty wild to watch it after it gets fed something, it swells up big time, look rather bulbous for a while even. Pretty cool.

ATO, refractometer, and some feeding tool are the only items currently on my really need to get list. The ATO arrives today… ;) Then we need to take a breather before the wife will let me put anything new in the tank. During that time I am thinking of rebuilding the sump so I can set up a refugium in it… desperately need to have something to pull nitrates out of this tank!

Anyhow, did not mean to just jump in our your thread…. I came because of the aiptasia conversation and just started enjoying following this thread. I should make my own and dump my stuff there I guess. :)

That dendro sounds very cool!

I have several ricordia that are in too bright of an area and they will not move...ever.

-Research on your sump upgrade. Order the aquarium safe sealant.....too many horror stories on others poisoning tanks.

Drop in any time!

I might dial the blues back a little on the tank and see how things go. The tank looks a bit too purple right now for my tastes anyhow.

Yeah, when it comes to doing anything I tend to research the snot outa it. If I’m going to do something, I have a real problem doing it half-assed, ever. I’d rather not do it than do it that way… Just working out the things I need in the sump yet.

Have to say, this hobby is way more addictive than freshwater is. I just saw a JBJ rimless Nano on craigslist… brand new, they are asking $75 for it. My wife wants me to consider setting up a seahorse tank for her…. hmmmm!

Archived