inTank Media Baskets

Jacks Big, Wet, Infected Shit-Box....trip to the Clinica

jack1978

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shame about the algae scrubber, I hope it kicks things up a gear soon.

Ya,

Still hopeful. I was told I wouldn't see much the first week, but should see stuff by week two.....so far right on track.....

still keeping my fingers crossed on the scrubber

Me too. I think it will start producing. Pretty simple concept. I think I need to play with the bubble stream. We'll see.

Nothing to report on the scrubber.

In Berghia news, they're multiplying. Just found quite a few super small Bergies crawling all over the rockwork. I now have two rocks Aiptasia-free. :D

HOG .5 - UPDATE, 2 Weeks in.....

http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/jack1978/media/HOG2WEEKSIN1.jpg.html'>HOG2WEEKSIN1.jpg

Not so impressed. I did play around with the air tubing a few days ago allowing for more bubbly action and noticed more green on the screen. We'll see. I just cut notches into the tubing today to create even more flow...........

Here's my next option. I picked up a basic aeration stone that creates a billion micro bubbles that should fit perfectly in place of the cheesy cut tubing that just dumps out big bubbles with uneven coverage. Might add that next week if the green doesn't increase in a large way.

http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/jack1978/media/Bubler.jpg.html'>Bubler.jpg

In Berghia news, they're multiplying like crazy and have done an amazing job on two and a half rocks. Long ways to go, but they're doing it! Looks to be a couple month process.

Awesome they are doing such a great job .. Where did u buy them from again?

Sorry,

I replied via my phone a few days back......apparently it didn't post. The Berghias came from "Reef-Town". I found them on EBay after being recommended by Vivid. I spoke with Jeff over the phone who really knows his stuff. I bought the Mediums as they are at breeding age and cheaper than the large. Glad I did. They became larges in a few weeks and have babies crawling everywhere. I bought 12 to start with.

Sorry behing on the thread. What is going on with your tank Jack? Anyway I can help?

Hey Lawn.

Nothing to exciting right now....just waiting on the Aiptasia control mainly. Have a few frags to put down, but holding off until the slugs are done. Still need to hang my light over the tank. Right now it's just resting on top of the tank and dialed down. I've been looking to add another Nem to the island....maybe a "toxic green" or a deep red if I can find one.

AS FOR THE HELP.......

-Looking to rescape my front yard. Looking for some sort of climbing vine thing that stays tight to the fence and has some nice flowers.

-Looking for two trees (one at each entrance of the half-circle driveway) for the front of the house as a focal point.

Suggestions welcomed. House is kind of a coastal - ranch look from the 20's.

DRLOVEtoreef

That sucks on the algae scrubber ... I wonder if you could send the manufacturer an email or phone call and see what they recommend ... They made a pretty big point on the product description that this is the first version and updates would be forthcoming

That sucks on the algae scrubber ... I wonder if you could send the manufacturer an email or phone call and see what they recommend ... They made a pretty big point on the product description that this is the first version and updates would be forthcoming

Ya,

It wasn't a huge investment by any means, so not too worried. I think it will work.....just needs the airflow to be improved. I picked it up in person and spoke with the maker. He suggested having to play with the airtubing to insure proper dispersion. Just wish it was a little more "finished product" instead of "proto-type-ish".

As long as it takes off with algae soon, I'd purchase his revised product when it comes out.

I still think it's a great idea......so long as it works. :D

When I ordered the Berghia it was recommended to order a certain ratio per gallon. This is to insure that they have the numbers to find each other once established. You need to have enough incase a few are picked off by fish, Aiptasia can eat them if they are blown on to them via powerhead or flow when introduced, breed/reproduce, and for "HUNTING". I laughed at that one.....never pictured them as hunters. Well today that opinion changed. I watched 4 or 5 little guys (1/8" to 3/16" max) attack an Aiptasia, pretty cool! And this was in full light...They must be comfortable in the Aiptasia Forrest.

First one, then two...

BerghiasHunting1.jpg

Then three and four....

BerghiasHunting2.jpg

Now from both sides of the Aiptasia...

BerghiasHunting2.jpg

Munching.... and pulling it over!

BerghiasHunting4.jpg

Finishing bites!!!!

BerghiasHuntingDone.jpg

It's clear that these guys work. I'm guessing I'll have my tank completely clean in a month or so. If anyone would like to try them out, I'll need to find homes for them.

Yes you should use the air rock posted above to creat micro bubbles with your ATS. the bubbles need regular contact with the screen for it to works corectly. More Bubbles = More Contact = Success...

Lovely tank. I have a tanaka. I like that they're shy and appear natural in a reef and that its not always in your face like some fish begging for food. I'm not sure if they' take out the berghia..mmm mebe? Great diy work too.

[quoe name=MarieH" post="4444116" timestamp="1377011278]Lovely tank. I have a tanaka. I like that they're shy and appear natural in a reef and that its not always in your face like some fish begging for food. I'm not sure if they' take out the berghia..mmm mebe? Great diy work too.

Thank you for the compliments! My corals are starting to look much better with the aiptasia being removed.

Ya, mine was my only worry. I was told to get a few extra just in case. After eating one, they should stay away as the berghias take on the taste of the aiptasia. So far, mine eyeballs them and swims away.

[quoe name=MarieH" post="4444116" timestamp="1377011278]Lovely tank. I have a tanaka. I like that they're shy and appear natural in a reef and that its not always in your face like some fish begging for food. I'm not sure if they' take out the berghia..mmm mebe? Great diy work too.

Ya, mine was my only worry. I was told to get a few extra just in case. After eating one, they should stay away as the berghias take on the taste of the aiptasia. So far, mine eyeballs them and swims away.

oh good to know!

that is a cool series of pictures ... those little buggers are awesome
Thanks! Crazy how good the phone can do sometimes. These bergies were so small, about 1/8". Almost had to use the camera just to see them clearly.

Yes you should use the air rock posted above to creat micro bubbles with your ATS. the bubbles need regular contact with the screen for it to works corectly. More Bubbles = More Contact = Success...
Figured it couldn't hurt. Going to try to get to it this weekend. Been busy painting our kitchen ....walls and cabinets.....I hate painting.

When I ordered the Berghia it was recommended to order a certain ratio per gallon. This is to insure that they have the numbers to find each other once established. You need to have enough incase a few are picked off by fish, Aiptasia can eat them if they are blown on to them via powerhead or flow when introduced, breed/reproduce, and for "HUNTING". I laughed at that one.....never pictured them as hunters. Well today that opinion changed. I watched 4 or 5 little guys (1/8" to 3/16" max) attack an Aiptasia, pretty cool! And this was in full light...They must be comfortable in the Aiptasia Forrest.

First one, then two...

BerghiasHunting1.jpg

Then three and four....

BerghiasHunting2.jpg

Now from both sides of the Aiptasia...

BerghiasHunting2.jpg

Munching.... and pulling it over!

BerghiasHunting4.jpg

Finishing bites!!!!

BerghiasHuntingDone.jpg

It's clear that these guys work. I'm guessing I'll have my tank completely clean in a month or so. If anyone would like to try them out, I'll need to find homes for them.

Awesome pics and very cool little guys.

Hit me up when you are looking to send them off. I can use them in my 55g. They'd be quite happy there with some of the nastys that are growing.

Awesome pics and very cool little guys.

Hit me up when you are looking to send them off. I can use them in my 55g. They'd be quite happy there with some of the nastys that are growing.

Will do. It took them a little while to get started, but they are decimating the aiptasia now.

I'll let you know when they're ready.

Archived