Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jacks Big, Wet, Infected Shit-Box....trip to the Clinica

jack1978

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BerghiaGrowing.jpg

Just spotted 3 of these guys. Two of them are at least an inch now!!! They must be eating, hopefully breeding. Guess I'll hold off on the Peppermints for now. I was told by the Berghia dude that Peps will eat the nudies and their offspring. Patience.....F!

I also had a bad aptasia problem. I went the peppermint shrimp route, which only took a couple weeks. The down-side to this is they also eat your tube worms/feather dusters. 6 months after moving the peppermints to the fuge, I started getting the feather dusters back, but still no aptasia.

Nice, thank you! I almost picked up some PEPs after not seeing the Berghia for quite a few days. Then I saw some huge ones cruising around the other night. Then, late last night I saw 3 little guys moving around the rocks. They must be reproducing as they were half the size of any I received.

THE BABY BEGHIAS.......

http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/jack1978/media/BabyBerghias.jpg.html'>BabyBerghias.jpg

Decided to try one of these algae scrubbers. It's the HOG .5 .....reviews to come.

HOGScrubber.jpg

I am very interested to see what you think of the scrubber. I really like the design and was thinking of one (or similar) for my tank. I really like how it can be run in tank or in sump.

Cool concept, looking forward to seeing it work. First impressions of the unit itself would be a little on the flimsy side. The casing anyway. I thought it would be a hard plastic of some sort. Reminds me of the black plastic microwavable dinner plates.

As long as it works, we'll see. I was told that it could take up to 6 months to see zero algae in the display, and the algae should get worse before it gets better as the remaining phosphate trapped in the rock will start to be pulled out.

I believe the casings are 3D printed but I could be wrong. I have considered attempting to make one myself, I might give it a shot I think.

DRLOVEtoreef

Very nice setup ... Love the nems ... The nudis are very cool and must be doing well to be reproducing ...

I am also interested to see how the scrubber works also ... I have always found it weird that there aren't more commercially available units out there

Very nice setup ... Love the nems ... The nudis are very cool and must be doing well to be reproducing ...

I am also interested to see how the scrubber works also ... I have always found it weird that there aren't more commercially available units out there

Thank you. Ya, everything is doing good....including the aiptasia. Although, I think I'm starting to see a decline. Also surprised these scrubbers aren't mass produced by some big name company.

Today is Day 1 with the HOG .5 up and running. Now, I wait........and listen to the bubbly gurgle noise. The Wifey is going to hate it. Could probably quiet it some if I dial down the air flow and drop it a bit from the water line. The air pump I got with it is nice and quiet, has 2 outputs and can be dialed down. Not a bad pump for the price.

HOG .5

http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/jack1978/media/HOG-ScrubberRunning.jpg.html'>HOG-ScrubberRunning.jpg

DRLOVEtoreef

Are the mounts pretty solid? If it works, that could be an awesome setup ... Especially as tidy and clean as it is

What kind of maintenance is involved with the unit??

Are the mounts pretty solid? If it works, that could be an awesome setup ... Especially as tidy and clean as it is

What kind of maintenance is involved with the unit??

That would be my only worry so far. The shell is very thin and not to sturdy feeling. It should be OK....I hope. It comes apart easy enough so I don't think much strain will be put on it from removal. Should have to pull it out of the sump and scrub the screen with a toothbrush once a week or so, rinse and drop back in. About as much effort as my skimmer cup.

I'll update along the way.

Looks good, I'm interested in seeing the results you get from it. I believe you can run it without the air pump but at reduced efficiency.

Looks good, I'm interested in seeing the results you get from it. I believe you can run it without the air pump but at reduced efficiency.

That may be tested.....my wife just asked "what's wrong with your tank?" (referring to the new gurgling) and, "where are the slugs?" (Berghia).

Found the "slugs"! They were out in force today, the big fatties that they are. Must have been sleeping off their last binge these past couple of days.

-Pretty cool shot. It's munching on an Aiptasia. Sluggo sat there and ate it until it was gone. Nice job little buddies!!!

BerghiaEating.jpg

DRLOVEtoreef

Found the "slugs"! They were out in force today, the big fatties that they are. Must have been sleeping off their last binge these past couple of days.

-Pretty cool shot. It's munching on an Aiptasia. Sluggo sat there and ate it until it was gone. Nice job little buddies!!!

BerghiaEating.jpg

Awesome picture ... times like those always make me smile ... when something works according to plans :)

Nice setup. May I ask which slugs you purchased (the medium, small or ?? ) ? Also, how many did you get ?

Thanks.

I ordered the medium as they were supposed to be at breeding age. I think I ordered a dozen from "reef town".

I think I'm on Day 5 with the HOG .5 running. Think I'll pop it open and see what's growing later today. Seems like my water is a little more "clear" the past couple of days.

Off to put up a fence in the side yard........... <_<

Quick update.

HOG .5 after a week and some change. Well, nothing really. The plastic screen where the algae is supposed to grow is still white. Fingers still crossed as I was told it could take a couple of weeks to get it going, then weekly cleanings should be in order after that. I think the air is not escaping the plastic tubing very well for even dispersion across the screen. I'll have to play with it and see what I can get. IMO, this thing should be plug and play not requiring "tweaking" of the airline tubing to insure adequate air coverage. I think my tanks "clearer" water appearance was wishful thinking at this point, at least not due to the HOG .5 as of yet. Stay tuned.

HOG5clean.jpg

Finally, the Berghias are paying off! This rock (4" x 7") was COVERED in Aiptasia. Easily 30 or more. Only 1 remains as of this morning. Their progress seems to be unnoticed day by day. Then, you stop for a double take when a rock is spotted WITHOUT Aiptasia. Only another 1,000 or so to go......

CleanBerghiaRock.jpg

What happens when that OCD pistol shrimp excavates 10 lbs. of sand every night a buries the Orange Lepto. He's lucky I like him.

OrangeLepto.jpg

Archived