SaltCritters.com

DC's Rimless Repletion: New pair of Black Ice Snowflakes

DCUEVAS74

So ten years ago, a girl I worked with asked me if I had any interest in fish tanks because she was moving and needed to give it away. The tank was a small 15 gallon hex with a couple of live rocks and a clown. LIttle did I know what joy, frustration and partly obsession was about to enter my life :lol: I have had a couple of setups over the years but always had to move. Always looked forward to the day I would own a home and wouldn't have to move or start over for a while which brings me here!

12_27_2013

new-front1.jpg

9_27_2013

_MG_3151.jpg

The begining

IMAG0201-1.jpg

Tank:

Custom David Varela Rimless | 36 X 20 X 18 | Starfire

Stand:

Custom Steel Frame | Reclaimed Wood Doors with Fence

Lighting

36" T5 / Led TEK Retro by Nano Box

Filtration:

Trigger Systems Crystal Sump | 30 X 12 X 15

SWC 160 Cone Skimmer

(2) BRS Dosers

Innovative Media Reactor

Tunze ato

Controller:

RKL

Apex Lite Coming Soon!

Circulation:

Sicce 5

MP 40

Fish

Pair of Black Ice Snowflake Clowns

Long Nose Butterfly

Arc Eye Hawkfish

Lyretail Anthias X 3

Blue Chromis

Rimless

IMAG0195_2.jpg

Overflow

overflow.jpg

The Stand

stand.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooooo nice upgrade

Danka! Really stoked about this set up!

Tank looks very nice. Cool stand too!

Gracias... stand turned out better than I thought!

Nicely done my friend. +1 Looks great!

Appreciate it my friend. Love the avatar btw :happydance: Definitely one of my favorites and want one for this set up if I can find one taking food!

Nice. Will be following along.

Where do you get the magnetic door holders? Maybe I'm not googling the correct terms, but can't find them online.

Nice. Will be following along.

Where do you get the magnetic door holders? Maybe I'm not googling the correct terms, but can't find them online.

Thanks. The tank has actually just finished cycling.

The magnetic door holders can be found at any Home Depot or Lowes. Just look near the hardware section where you find the cabinet handles and knobs. I used two per door, up high. Works like a champ! Easy access.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Liberty-Aluminum-Magnetic-Catch-C082M2C-AL-P1/202200625#.Udji6PnvtqU

This is initially how I was going to set up the sump and a pic of the rock work I was playing around with. After setting up tank for a water test, it became apparent pretty quickly that things had to change. The water flow was wayyyyyyy too loud.

sump_rock.jpg

This his how the sump looks now. I had to reverse the sump & get rid of the flex tube so the drain came straight down in the sump. I also made the dorso larger using 1 1/4" reduced down to an inch in the overflow box. Now she purrrrrrs

Had a problem with the SWC at 10" after it broke in, so I made a stand with acrylic and (4) 1inch couplings glued to it. It's now sitting at 7" and working better.

final_sump.jpg

This is scape I've decided for now

top.jpg

front.jpg

I've read how great the razor looks. This fixture really compliments the rimless look! Can't wait to see how the corals react to it. fingerscrossed

• 2 weeks later...
kriskristofferzen

Wow, very nice! How is the little ADA doing? You still have it up? That sump setup looks perfect.

defender.TX

I'm not sure how I didn't notice this the first time you posted a week ago, but I am definitely subscribed :D . Love the stand, tank, and sump so far! Look awesome. Something about those rimless tanks...

Looks awesome. I really like the rock work in there.

Appreciate it. You know it's the first tank I've set up where I didn't have to mess with the scape for too long :unsure: . I hope it stay that way!

Very Nice Tank!

Thanks for checking it out! I'm still waiting for it to stabilize. I'm still getting some mini spikes. Trying to be patient and take it slow.... :scarry:

Love the dimensions. Following along to see how this tank progresses.

Thanks for the feedback and for following along. I have to say I'm pretty happy with the dimensions. The extra space front to back comes in handy with scaping. The height is perfect for my size in the day to day maintenance.

very slick. sexy. :ninja:

Ha! Thanks! I've been appreciating your pico for quite a while. I really wanted one for my work desk but unfortunately back when I was going to pull the trigger, their website was down and not taking orders when rolling out their new designs. I couldn't wait and just went with the ada.

I have to say your photography is stellar and enjoy looking at all the shots!

Wow, very nice! How is the little ADA doing? You still have it up? That sump setup looks perfect.

Gracias. The 45p is going well. Getting some growth. I'm having a little issue with algae but about to hook up a brs delux reactor with carbon and GFO and see if I can get it to clean up a little better. I've been out of town and out sick when I got back. I'll be updating some photos here shortly. Here's a little vid of a Coco I just added to the 45p.

how did I miss this.

Thanks for checking out the build :D . Just waiting for it to settle in and get to adding some corals!!!!!

I'm not sure how I didn't notice this the first time you posted a week ago, but I am definitely subscribed :D . Love the stand, tank, and sump so far! Look awesome. Something about those rimless tanks...

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Looking forward to watching this one mature for years to come :happydance:

Looks great! All of it, especially the rock work.

Muchas Gracias. Thanks for checking it out!

Very nice!

Thank you!

Really like that scape!

Thanks, really like your photography btw.... very nice!

• 1 month later...

This thread needs updates!! I want to see if the Razor has been doing as well for you as it has for me.

Will do. I'm waiting to see if I'm getting a new lens fingerscrossed

Woah this tank is sick DC

Thanks E! I just finished consolidating my nano with this one with a couple of other toys. Hoping to get some updated shots soon!

Archived