inTank Media Baskets

Clams with Pinched Mantle?

TallReefGuy

Those clams are certainly not happy looking. The key to determining if they have PM is to watch them after lights out. If the mantle folds like origami and is all crooked, you have something to worry about.

When did you get these clams, from where, how long have you had them?

Gaping is a sign of starvation BTW, not pinched mantle. Watch at night for gaping.

TheKleinReef

Gaping is a sign of starvation BTW, not pinched mantle. Watch at night for gaping.

not trying to hijack...

is there a difference between day gaping and night gaping?

my maxima sometimes gapes slightly during the day, but never at night.

The Squamosa was just FW dipped about 4 days ago

LIke I said in our PM, you clams do have Pinched mantle disease. No doubt. They will need atleast 3 FWD's of 35 minutes each, about 1 week apart. You biggest problem will be ridding the pathogen from your system, which takes about a full year if you are diligent. This is accomplished through iron reduction and is explained in the PM thread.

not trying to hijack...

is there a difference between day gaping and night gaping?

my maxima sometimes gapes slightly during the day, but never at night.

Hey buddy =))

Yes there is. Night gapes are the worst thing your clam can pull on you. WHen they are stressing at night, for whatever reason the clam gods have chosen, they soon show up dead in the morning. Day gapes are much easier to figure out. Usually something is stressing it just a little, possible a hot spot from your lights, or even other critters.

We need to get zeph in here

Sorry I didnt notice the bat signal had been raised. My bad. Sorry Gothem City.

Archived