Innovative Marine Aquariums

Thinking of adding clam

Kirky

I'm thinking of adding a maxima clam to my 2x2x2 and was wondering if my 120w 16k razor would be enough light to keep one. What kind of care and parameters do they need to keep healthy and looking nice.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say that light would be fine. How are your other parameters? How clean is your water?

I've read maximas tend to be one of the more difficult species to keep. Here is a great thread that shares a lot of great information about the "type" of water necessary for good clam growth: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/328251-the-official-tridacnid-clam-registry-thread/page-3

I've kept a Derasa under T5 for 2 years with excellent growth. I'm now focusing on getting my water a little "dirtier" to see if it affects his growth rate.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
TheUnfocusedOne

Just go for it. Clams are a lot hardier than people give them credit for. If you're keeping medium to advance difficulty corals, you're definitely fine.

• 1 month later...

What are the Easiest type of clam to keep as Ive seen a couple of small 1"/2" clams in my Lfs what look nice but don't know what type and what are the ideal prams for clams. my prams are,

PH- 8.2

KH- 8.6

Nitrite- 0

Nitrate- 2

Ammonia- 0

Phospahtes- 0

Calcium- 410

Magnesium- 1300

Salt- 1.025

Temp- 80

• 3 weeks later...

^ :huh:

nitrate of 2ppm isn't hurting anything, and clams will feed on some nitrate..

calcium of 410 is perfect by most peoples' standards, and high by some other peoples' standards (some people prefer to be around 380).. and is higher than natural sea water.. if you can maintain your calcium at 410 with the clam, it will be fine.

good light, and lots of dissolved nutrients will go along way with clam keeping. i've always noticed the cleaner my water was the worse my clams looked. right now i think my no3 is at 3ppm or so, and i feed the tank 1-2 times a week with reef chili, phyto, and azox.

What are the Easiest type of clam to keep as Ive seen a couple of small 1"/2" clams in my Lfs what look nice but don't know what type and what are the ideal prams for clams. my prams are,

PH- 8.2

KH- 8.6

Nitrite- 0

Nitrate- 2

Ammonia- 0

Phospahtes- 0

Calcium- 410

Magnesium- 1300

Salt- 1.025

Temp- 80

Clams under 3 inches have a very high mortality rate, regardless of the species. Deresas are the easiest, then squamosas, croceas, and last of all maximas.

Get nitrate down and calcium up and your in business

Clams like nitrates in the range of 2 - 4 ppm. Dont worry about that.

Good reading. I am about to buy a clam as well and hear much thoughts on the high mortality rate of clams under 3". Planning to try out a 3" deresa clam to start out.

• 1 month later...
Pick myself up an early christmas present today a derasa clam for £65, it been in tank for about 1hr 30 when pic was tanken.

997a0b81d296419b100c8ddae3ee5b00_zps80dd

sweet! Don't forget to register her on The Official Tridacnid Clam Registry Thread, so we can keep

track of it.

How do I register her.

Here you go, just copy and paste this in a reply and add your info in it:

Species of clam?

Lighting - bulb, ballast and count?

Clam depth in the tank in inches?

DOC level estimate? ( dont worry almost nobody can answer this)

Do you skim?

Do you run carbon?

Do you run GFO?

Did you ever freshwater dipped the clam ?

Are you seeing new growth?

Calcium/Alk Method?

Where and when did you get it?

Do you purposely feed ?

Most importantly !!!!! Water changing schedual ????

Got nitrates ???

Archived