inTank Media Baskets

Tamberav's Mantis Mayhem - 45g SPS Cuboid build

Tamberav

Okay, I now have the ACTUAL peacock mantis shrimp. She is about 2 inches. Was hoping for a bright green male but this one looks to be female. Oh well, she is still pretty to look at:

DSC_0337_zpsb8dc825c.jpg

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
llama roadkill
Okay, I now have the ACTUAL peacock mantis shrimp. She is about 2 inches. Was hoping for a bright green male but this one looks to be female. Oh well, she is still pretty to look at:

DSC_0337_zpsb8dc825c.jpg

Amazing! By far my favorite mantis! Did you name it?

Amazing! By far my favorite mantis! Did you name it?

No, I never know what to name anything :tears:

beautiful!

Thank you!

llama roadkill

No, I never know what to name anything :tears:

Thank you!

Well, there are lots of colors. I just randomly thought Prism. Dumb name, but hopefully gives you some inspiration.

This mantis is NOT SHY. It hasn't hid since I put it in the tank, it is running around dragging rock rubble and whacking on things. When I went up to the tank to watch her, she walked up to the glass and stared me down. So cool :)

Well, there are lots of colors. I just randomly thought Prism. Dumb name, but hopefully gives you some inspiration.

I haven't named many of my fish but I think the mantis prob deserves one. I can tell already that it is very intelligent.

wow nice mantis! Never seen one with that body coloration, i usually see them as bright green

This mantis is NOT SHY. It hasn't hid since I put it in the tank, it is running around dragging rock rubble and whacking on things. When I went up to the tank to watch her, she walked up to the glass and stared me down. So cool :)

I haven't named many of my fish but I think the mantis prob deserves one. I can tell already that it is very intelligent.

I believe mantises can see one more color spectrum than us and have a memory span up to a month, so theyre pretty intelligent life forms which really drew me into getting one! Even though i dont have it yet :P

wow nice mantis! Never seen one with that body coloration, i usually see them as bright green

I believe mantises can see one more color spectrum than us and have a memory span up to a month, so theyre pretty intelligent life forms which really drew me into getting one! Even though i dont have it yet :P

Yeah, its a female. They are more brown/olive color and the males are bright green. She is still pretty though, I feel lucky to have found a small peacock at all.

Have you seen this video?

one day, thats it, thats the whole story. LMFAO, that vid made my day!

haha! Ya my peacock was carrying around a hermit today. Made me think of that line.

Idk if you watched it to the very end, but a guy stuck his finger in front of the mantis and got wacked.

I love her she's adorable :) more pictuuureeess

I think you should name her Sheila lol

Is that from something?

Well not really... But every time I hear the name I think of red versus blue if you know what that is lol

Islandoftiki

Nice. Yours sounds like my female O. Scyllarus. We went camping this weekend and when we got home, she was super excited to see us. Even after she had been fed, she kept coming to the glass to visit.

I suspect yours will color up more as she gets older. Also, since I got my peacock, I've been adding Selcon to her food and after two molts, her colors have become more vivid.

Nice. Yours sounds like my female O. Scyllarus. We went camping this weekend and when we got home, she was super excited to see us. Even after she had been fed, she kept coming to the glass to visit.

I suspect yours will color up more as she gets older. Also, since I got my peacock, I've been adding Selcon to her food and after two molts, her colors have become more vivid.

I have some Selcon and I'll start using it, thanks for the tip!

wow the most recent pic makes that peacock look awesome, i like the female coloration more than the males, makes the colors pop a tad bit more, come up with any names yet?

wow the most recent pic makes that peacock look awesome, i like the female coloration more than the males, makes the colors pop a tad bit more, come up with any names yet?

Yeah the contrast is pretty cool :) I think I'm going to name her Poison Ivy (because she is green and red and sexy!) and name my male one Bane.

Very nice!!

I kind of have a love/hate thing with Mantis... They are awesome to watch and their colors can be incredible... but just looking at them can creep me out and send shivers down my spine.. I don't think I could ever have one in the same room I sleep in.. haha

I saw your other thread too.. both very nice specimens. :)

Islandoftiki

I kind of have a love/hate thing with Mantis... They are awesome to watch and their colors can be incredible... but just looking at them can creep me out and send shivers down my spine.. I don't think I could ever have one in the same room I sleep in.. haha

Once you have a mantis, you won't be creeped out by them. They will very quickly win your heart. If you had one on your night stand, you would wake up every morning to it staring at you and you'd wonder how long it was watching you sleep. Don't worry though, I'm sure it would be watching out for you and not plotting your demise. ;)

Very nice!!

I saw your other thread too.. both very nice specimens. :)

haha yeah, my mom came to visit so I had her feed the mantis. She held the feeding tongs so awkward because she kept thinking it was going to jump out grab her hand.

Then I rearranged some stuff in the tank and she was like "OMG DON'T DO THAT! DON'T DO THAT! HE WILL GET YOU AND YOU WILL BE HURT!"

I showed her a youtube video about mantis shrimps and their punches and she was freaking out that I would put my hand in there. lol

Once you have a mantis, you won't be creeped out by them. They will very quickly win your heart. If you had one on your night stand, you would wake up every morning to it staring at you and you'd wonder how long it was watching you sleep. Don't worry though, I'm sure it would be watching out for you and not plotting your demise. ;)

Yea... that's exactly why I couldn't have one in the same room I sleep in. Thanks for that image in my head! :lol:

LOL Tam thats hilarious. Yea my family is already terrified of mine....and I havent even ordered it....lol

Archived