inTank Media Baskets

Cream City Reef: New Macro Photos!

wow.such.chris

wow.such.chris

So, even though I am a beginner, I do work at an aquarium so I have plenty of resources and am extremely diligent on upkeep. What would you guys say if I were wanting to keep a BTA or rock anemone in this tank? Is the 20 too small for a BTA? Im thinking now that I have 2 par bulbs I easily have the lighting for nearly anything so it woul be worth a shot. After much reading of course :)

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a big fan of bicolors anyway. Looking at midas, stripped, or tailspot. Any experiences with these?

Love the tank.

Don't do a midas.. they are aggressive in small spaces. I put one in my 40B thinking a 40g would be big enough for him not to get aggressive... wrong! He is a big jerk. Sold my peaceful fish and bought a damsel and clownfish who could put up with his crap. He bites chunks out of their fins sometimes.

So, even though I am a beginner, I do work at an aquarium so I have plenty of resources and am extremely diligent on upkeep. What would you guys say if I were wanting to keep a BTA or rock anemone in this tank? Is the 20 too small for a BTA? Im thinking now that I have 2 par bulbs I easily have the lighting for nearly anything so it woul be worth a shot. After much reading of course :)

Rock flower nem's are impossible to kill so feel free to do those without much worry. I bought one for a new tank and tossed it in without acclimating and put it through 75ish constant nitrates and it got stuck to my powerhead and it didn't care. It is doing great! They are considered very hardy.

wow.such.chris

Once you get some corals in there you may need to raise the lights as Par 38s are super bright while you acclimate.

Noted, thank you. Im really loving how modular these fixtures are, raising lights will be no problem. I can always turn one bulb off if necessary too.

Also, no midas blenny, got it! Always could go with YWG if I wanted the yellow color. Well see.

Was talking to the curator of the aquarium I work at and he told me of his success with cyphastreas and offered to sell me some for a good price. So, when the time comes this is going to be one of the first corals. They also have some nice euphyllia and echinatas there Im eyeing up. Chompin at the bit here!

wow.such.chris

Also, ive noticed and felt that my rock wall has seperated from the tank. There is now a gap of about 5mm and water is definitely behind the wall. Anyone think this is going to cause problems? Detritus trap and nitrate factory?

• 4 weeks later...
wow.such.chris

So, since my thread isn't the most exciting I took some pictures while I was at work the other day, I figured this might create some excitement on here! :happy: I work at Discovery World in Milwaukee, WI. If you're ever there head on down to the aquarium and say hi, nano-reefers get free behind-the-scenes tours :naughtydance:

Heres the 75,000 gallon Lake Michigan tank. 7.75" thick acrylic windows housing walleye, long-nose gar, paddlefish, largemouth bass, sturgeon, trout and others.

DW1_zps6847ba53.jpg

Check out the angle of the tank, thats over 300 tons of water behind there... :eek:

DW8_zpsca1f904c.jpg

In front of me on the last shot is the touch tank, my official place of work until I finish my undergrad. We have lake sturgeon, bluegills, cortez round rays, white-spotted and brown-banded bamboo sharks.

DW3_zps498edd10.jpg

Here's one of the massive gar. Watching them eat reminds me of some ninja catching flies with chopsticks :ninja:

DW2_zps31861a7e.jpg

Some of the smaller tanks. Freshwater, brakish, salt, we got it all.

DW7_zpsb1b0a795.jpg

Cylinder "reef tank" with LEDs. They claim they haven't got the staff to maintain it as a reef any longer unfrtunately so it's a FOWLR atm... Does have a nice juvi lion and a big cowfish

DW4_zps7b0574da.jpg

Every aquarium lately has to exhibit jellies.

jellies_zps0ce7ccfc.jpg

Here's a black trigger from the caribbean tunnel.

DW5_zpsa741bf03.jpg

Finally, the 65,000 gallon Caribbean tunnel tank, at the end you can see the seahorse/macro tank. We have blue tangs, a scrawled filefish, yellow-tail snapper, permits, many grunts, lookdowns, blue runners, and more. The seahorse tank is run by the most dedicated aquarist and IMO is the best tank there at the moment.

DW6_zpsd0985c68.jpg

The only coral on display are some zoas, xenia, and an Atlantic brain of some sort I haven't tried to ID. We have two long propagation tanks in back where corals are housed. Soon I will be picking some frags up from work. At least some meteor shower cyphastrea this weekend.

Now, the exciting part... ;) My 20 gallon rock wall tank.

Just added the first livestock. 5 heads of an acan lord and a snowflake clown. These 2 were added last friday and today a CUC was ordered from reefcleaners.

FTS_9_132_zpsb5bc8bf5.jpg

2 shots of the clown, both sides. It's got a cool spot :D

clown2_zpse94d77b8.jpg

Clown1_zpsa07dbc3e.jpg

Here's the acan. It's gotten slightly larger already. Feeding Limpets Reef Buffet (local made blend) every other day and can already see the beginning of new heads!! :haha:

Acan1_zpsc48279db.jpg

llama roadkill

Maybe I missed it, but is there actually a pic of the seahorse tank?

Awesome rock wall! You know what would go good with those barnacles...BARNACLE BLENNIES!

WOW, Amazing rock work! I love that back wall! I have been looking at getting a new (larger) tank for my house and now thanks to you I think that I am going to try my hand at that. Do you happen to have any links that you used to provide some more information on the subject?

wow.such.chris

WOW, Amazing rock work! I love that back wall! I have been looking at getting a new (larger) tank for my house and now thanks to you I think that I am going to try my hand at that. Do you happen to have any links that you used to provide some more information on the subject?

If you go to the beginning of this thread, theres a complete step by step with photos. Only thing I would do differently is how I attached the wall to the glass. If done again I would SILICON the eggcrate to the back wall and maybe make little epoxy feet to raise it a half cm off the glass, then zip tie rocks to it after its attached, then finally apply the foam INSIDE the tank. Go check out the build, I'd be glad to answer any questions.

Maybe I missed it, but is there actually a pic of the seahorse tank?

Awesome rock wall! You know what would go good with those barnacles...BARNACLE BLENNIES!

There isn't a pic of the seahorses, yu can just see it at the end f the tunnel shot. Ill take one this weekend just for you ;) Im trying to get the aquarist to keep some macro other than the caulerpa in there...

Also, blennies will be joining soon enough. Gotta build up some capital first... $$$

On another note, my goofy clown seems to love this boring righthand back corner. This morning I put the mp10 on NTM (100% standing wave ending with ramping up and down every hour) and he finally come out into the open and is swimming the most calmly I have seen yet. Who would've though it would take absurd flow to get the little guy to chill out... haha

wow.such.chris

The Sturgeon are very friendly

We have one in the large michigan tanks that was a research specimen obtained from University of Iowa and you can tell he was handled from a young age. Also, unfortuantely he has some defects from being kept in a tank far too small, but when divers get in he wont leave em alone. Funny guy.

Stevie, if you ever think about coming again sometime soon let me know. Im only working weekends now since its the school season but would enjoy meeting you. I was super jacked after ordering some inTank stuff and seeing the Falls as a return. Like I said, free behind-the-scenes ;)

I love these kind of rock wall scapes, but I think your's is the best I have seen.. with barnacles and shelves.. looks great, good work!

Thank you very much, I've put my all into it :D

Stevie, if you ever think about coming again sometime soon let me know. Im only working weekends now since its the school season but would enjoy meeting you. I was super jacked after ordering some inTank stuff and seeing the Falls as a return. Like I said, free behind-the-scenes ;)

Will do, weekends would be the time anyway. Last time I was there was when Paul had a frag swap, man that was right before our laser cut products so 2009. He gave us a very quick behind the scenes tour but would love to do it again.

wow.such.chris

Te surface skimmer is made by badfish, but ie heard theyre having problems with orders ATM... to a search and you'll find lots of DIY ones on here.

• 2 weeks later...
wow.such.chris

October update.

Lost my snowflake clown. Added some snails from reefcleaners, turns out the 6 florida ceriths I added were dead or died in my care and I left them to rot as John mentions to wait in case they are "dorment"... I also didn't get the hermit I ordered for what reason I don't know, but he did refund me at least.

4 days after adding the ceriths my clown stopped eating and I pulled the dead snails out. He looked sickly and I attempted to save him in a QT tank, but unfortunately, it was too late for the clown. :( Plus he was $63... <_<

Good news, after a lot of stress the acan I added with the clown seems to be recovering well. It randomly will deflate with what looks like hole or folds in its flesh and youd think it was ready to start rotting away then an hour later its inflated with feeders showing... Has been looking better and I plan on trying to feed tonight.

Parameters have finally stabilized. 0 ammonia, nitrite and about 10 ppm nitrates. 1.025 sg, 79 F, 8.1 pH

ALL ALGEAS ARE DYING OFF!!! You have no idea how thrilled I am with that. Also, I'm seeing tons of pods everywhere.

acan_zps1f5f5cba.jpg

Recovering acan in moderate shape in this picture. I think it may be losing the blues though so I moved it into more shade.

cyphastrea1_zpse4638377.jpg

Good size meteor shower cyphastrea I got for a mere $5 from work. Happy open polyps omgomgomg

caulastrea1_zps0e7d1ede.jpg

Another frag from work. $5 for 4 heads of caulastrea. I head is already splitting after 4 days home. Feeders out in the light? Yes plzz!

FTS1_zpsfcf81812.jpg

Bottom left hand side of tank. Only spot with life ATM... haha

Love the cyphastrea, very awesome. Nice to see a bigger piece, I've mostly only seen those square inch pieces so to see a larger one that also looks like a volcano is great. Such amazing prices at your lfs.

wow.such.chris
Love the cyphastrea, very awesome. Nice to see a bigger piece, I've mostly only seen those square inch pieces so to see a larger one that also looks like a volcano is great. Such amazing prices at your lfs.

The curator of the aquarium I work at grows them like weeds. As you can see this was pulled off the bottom of a tank it had encrusted. He places rocks for them to encrust over and breaks them off.

Hey I've been there!

There was a frag swap at discovery world a couple years ago I went to. With it came admission to see the place. It was awesome! I need to go back someday :)

• 5 weeks later...
wow.such.chris

November Update:

• Death of a beautiful cyphastrea frag :angry:
  • Addition of a yellow fiji leather, blasto, and acropora (soon to be removed)
  • Addition of 2 scarlet hermits
  • Some AC70 fun
  • Won the battle against red slime, but still fighting masses of green

Right_zpsbb7ab051.jpg

New leather added about a month ago and the recently added blastos, both doing well.

Acan_zps1ff9b96a.jpg

Acan guy growin'

Left_zps75e97439.jpg

Left side. After an intensive removal of algae... workin on it

Acro_zps595f5af2.jpg

This acro was the test as to whether or these lights are SPS capable, the answer is no. Taking it back to work this weekend.

Skimmer_zps385b10d4.jpg

Here's the little mame-style skimmer I built. It drains into a bottle in the stand. I works alright as is, but I plan on using a wooden airstone. It fits in the 1st compartment of the inTank AC70 basket along with the heater, 2nd compartment houses a coarse sponge and purigen and the 3rd compartment contains chemipure and some ceramic plugs im "cycling" for a 2g QT.

NovFTS_zps214d3271.jpg

FTS as of today!

Okay so here are some questions.

Nobody in my CUC (lots of dwarf ceriths, 3 nerites, 5 nassarius, stomatella or 2, a limpet, 2 scarlet hermits) really takles the algae on the rocks.

Any suggestions as to what to ad?

Help me plan a stock list!

Clown pair? Clown/firefish combo?

I want barnacle blennies! When should I add them, before or after firefish/clown? Room for a goby/shrimp pair? Tell me!

Archived