inTank Media Baskets

Cream City Reef: New Macro Photos!

wow.such.chris

Steensj2004

I personally have mixed feelings about small fuges, I suppose I don't have enough experience to really be commenting. But I feel that unless you have a certain amount of macro algae in ration to tank volume, you aren't acomplishing much. Although I suppose I could be wrong, every little bit helps I suppose.....?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wow.such.chris

I personally have mixed feelings about small fuges, I suppose I don't have enough experience to really be commenting. But I feel that unless you have a certain amount of macro algae in ration to tank volume, you aren't acomplishing much. Although I suppose I could be wrong, every little bit helps I suppose.....?

Any experience is more than I have and is greatly appreciated. What would you do instead? Chemi-pure?

Steensj2004

First, your wall is awesome, best I have seen! I ran Chemipure, Puregen, and RowaPhos, as well as some sort of filter pad to catch big particles. Really, I just dont think a hunk of macro the size of your fist in a HOB helps that much. As I said, I know macro is a good thing, but I donno, seems like you need more than what you would get. However, at the same time, I guess the size of macro should be proportional to the tank too :unsure: , Just my .02 I only have macro in my sump for pods...... for my Drgonet... :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
wow.such.chris

It's been a while since I've upadated and lots has changed. I moved into a new apartment the first of August and was able to set the tank up finally. I bought a used stand from a lfs, $90 but pretty nice with a cabinet and glass shelves. It's meant for a 36 bowfront but this just gives me space to set my beer.

Water was obtained from an Air, Water, and Ice mighty mite RO/DI and mixed wit Red Sea Coral Pro saltI have about 18 lbs of dry rock, not including the wall. I also added a 2lb piece of LR from the lfs, and half a cube of bloodworms as an ammonia source.

Parameters; Temp: 79, pH: 8.0, Alk: 6 meq/L, salinity: 1.025, Ammonia: 0.4 mg/L, nitrite: 0, nitrate:0

All taken from SeaChem Marine Basic kit, and Sybon refractometer.

Tanks been filled about a week. Running lights, mp10, and AC70 w/ carbon and surface skimmer. Ammonia seems low to me???....

vantage_zpsf83303e1.jpg

Here's the vantage point from my bed. Yu can see the original shelf plan for hanging the 120W Non-dimmable LED setup. Right now it just set on top, but it's WAYYYY too strong. Makes my whole room look like a tanning salon. Based upon the opinions of many family, roomates, and my girlfriend it is going up on craigslist. I've ordered a 54W par38 bulb (ebay...) with clamp and am planning on a supplemental Ecoxotic blue/magenta stunner strip.

lid_zps8afd1134.jpg

Here you can see the cool glass lids I found in my parents basement (They have 2 dozen-some tanks and boxes of equipment from a past obsession). Allows for possible firefish? Also the black AC70 housing heater and carbon in an inTank media basket.

side_zps4c256984.jpg

Side shot from sitting at my desk. You can see the skimmer box and also the small cave in background. My plan is to put a hammer or torch coral on this closer small rock.

full_zps566776c3.jpg

Here's the final rockscape, I think... Lmk what you think!

Sorry for the long post but I promise I'll be more up to date. Will post as soon as something living appears, even algea!

wow.such.chris

Not much of an update but an update nonetheless.

When I filled this tank up I put in a cube of bloodworms and a piece of LR from the LFS to try and start the cycle. One week later and my ammonia was hardly showing (seachem test under .1mg ) so I added a half cap of pure ammonia. Now its been a little under a week and I've finally noticed a diatom bloom. Noticed some smaller yellowish-brown spots this morning and now this afternoon they've done their thing And my rocks are getting covered. Also noticing a small amount of algea and what looks like some red grape caulerpa starting to grow.

I know, not a big deal but its awesome finally seeing some life starting to develop in this build. Tested water yesterday and no nitrite showed. Ammonia was still off the chart but ill test tomorrow or the next day and update again. A few more weeks and its time for a cuc. Any suggestions on what snails/hermits for my clean up crew are appreciated!

stomatellas is usually a hitchhiker that shows up on your rock. I have 2 and just recently saw one spawn 8x into the air last week.

Snow_Phoenix

Don't get a bicolor blenny! Mine is awful and Gena had the same issues with hers!

Bicolors can be nippy. My friend's bicolor went bonkers on her clam and snails. But it all boils down to the individual blenny. Some of them are actually sweet-tempered.

wow.such.chris

On another note, my par 38 bulb will be arriving tomorrow. Got a cheap 54W (18x3w) par bulb off of ebay along with 2 stunners, one blue and one violet. Probably not enough light, but it will suffice for now. Trying to sell my old overpowered 120w led on ebay and its not going anywhere just yet...

Don't get a bicolor blenny! Mine is awful and Gena had the same issues with hers!

+1. Get a Tailspot. Plus, Midas are far too large for 20g.

wow.such.chris
I would totally say get more rock... but I don't know if it'd look good.

You made quite a beautiful tank... so its hard to recommend anything.

You would suggest more rock for aesthetic reasons or for more biological filtration? I have 20# in there, I thought this would be sufficient.

You would suggest more rock for aesthetic reasons or for more biological filtration? I have 20# in there, I thought this would be sufficient.

I like using alot of rock for the aesthetics. I think stacked coralline covered rock is beautiful. In my 20L I have about 35 pounds.

You're good on biological though. In my opinion.

wow.such.chris

PAR BULBS AND A ROCK WALL! :haha:

So! Almost 6 months since I've started planning this here is where I stand:

Final_lights_zps0e050e8a.jpg

Parameters are as follows. (Taken with Seachem Marine Basic)

Temp: 82 F. Hot here, high of 94 tomorrow.

Salinity: 1.022. Topped off this morning.

pH: 8.1

Alk: 7 meq/L

Ammonia: 6.0+ mg/L. Instant blue.

Nitrite: ~2 mg/L

Nitrate: ?

Lighting

Right par 38: 15W (12x1.5W), no optics, 4x 10K, 4x 14K, 4x 453nm blues

Left par 38: 54W (18x 3W Bridgelux), no optics, 12x 10K, 6x 460nm blues

Both lights + clamps cost me a little less than $80 :naughtydance:

Stunner strip front: 20W, 445nm blue, dimmable

Back: 20W, 420nm violet, dimmable

Makes for some cool blue/purple fading moonlight effects.

Pump

EcoTech Vortech mp10

AC70 HOB

skimmer box w/sponge, inTank media basket, Cobalt Neo-Therm 75W heater, stock AC carbon

LR

2lbs premium LR, 18lbs reefcleaners dry rock, 20lbs CaribSea Aragonite reef grade

WARNING: IPHONE PIX OF HORRENDOUS QUALITY AHEAD!!!

top_down_lights_zpse48781bc.jpg

Virtually silent setup! :ninja:

bright_vantage_zpsc368009f.jpg

View from my bed. I'm going to put a shelf over the top, should help reflect some light.

Lid_lights_zpsdaccb215.jpg

Stunners siliconed onto the inside of the glass lid.

vantage_zps1484fd47.jpg

Photo with only the violet stunners on just to show how iphones ruin anything with low wavelength blue/purple light. This is low-visible, blacklight looking, purple in person.

work_zpsb12d2c35.jpg

Bonus shot of my view most work days. Ah, the glamourous life of a touch-tank attendant... B)

In a few weeks this thing will be cycled and I can get on with a CUC.

work_zpsb12d2c35.jpg

Bonus shot of my view most work days. Ah, the glamourous life of a touch-tank attendant... B)

In a few weeks this thing will be cycled and I can get on with a CUC.

Are those a whitespotted and brownbanded bamboo shark I see? Where is this you work at?

wow.such.chris
Are those a whitespotted and brownbanded bamboo shark I see? Where is this you work at?

I work in "guest services" at a science and technology museum called Discovery World in Milwaukee, WI. We have a small aquarium with just over 150,000 gallons of water including a 75,000 gal native tank and a 65,000 gal Caribbean tunnel tank. Ive been told that all 3 sharks are brownbanded bamboos all of the same age. Ive been told by the aquarists the lighter ones lost their stripes in a quarantine tank with white walls. Im not too sure if that's the case though. We also have cortez round rays and lake sturgeon for petting.

My astrea are a PIA. They almost killed my hammer last week by knocking it in the sand.

Im thinking 5 nassarius, 10 dwarf ceriths, 5 Florida ceriths, a chiton, and 1 or 2 scarlet hermits from reef cleaners

Archived