Innovative Marine Aquariums

Akio's 1.5 gallon pico reef

Akiowalt

Here we go, my 1.5 gallon has been setup in my room. Nothing fancy, I would like to keep everything simple, low maintenance, sustainable and effective way to cut down my electric bill. I consider this tank to be my most challenging pico reef, at the same time it also decorates my room. This is the reason why I located it on my desk, it can easily be viewed from time to time since I spend most of my life in front of the PC. After few weeks of research and following the topic, I decided to bring in my first pico reef.
Volume: 1.5 gallon/5.5 liters
Water: H2 Ocean + distilled water
Salinity: 1.022
Temperature: 30C/86F, this is high but it seems like very stable
Lighting: LED, 4 white, 1 blue, 1 red, 12 hours currently
Filter: Hang on filter with sponge (temporary)
Coral: Softy and LPS
Day 1:
20130623_183947_zps23c28879.jpg
The light
20130623_184102_zpsac6b4623.jpg

Looking good! Will you be adding live sand?

I will go for bare bottom which is easier to make 100% water change

You might try to raise your salinity up to at least 1.024, it gives more leg room for mistakes (ie added too much water and oh crap the salinity is like 18)

You also may want to invest in an auto top off and a fan to cool this thing, my corals don't seem to like to be above 83 without them stressing out.

Other than that great start!

Nice rock structure, where did you find the lights? looks pretty cool! Will you keep just softys in this?

Thanks, the light is from China. I plan to start with softys and slowly add some LPS and SPS

Looks adorable and awesome at the same time! :D Can't wait to see what you have in store for this, Akio! :)

I can't wait to add some coral now!

You might try to raise your salinity up to at least 1.024, it gives more leg room for mistakes (ie added too much water and oh crap the salinity is like 18) You also may want to invest in an auto top off and a fan to cool this thing, my corals don't seem to like to be above 83 without them stressing out. Other than that great start!

Yes, I will raise to 1.024. When come to temp, it is quite subjective because I did manage to keep all the coral at 89F last time.

User Deleted 2

I've seen those lights on sale in a shop nearby my house, but I think it's a bit too weak for corals, right, Akio? :o Are you going to do any softie corals - please say yes!!! :D :D :D

Oh wait - I just re-read your post and your tank is only 1.5 gallons lolz. Then the lights should be enough. :P

The light is pretty weak for larger tank, but they are the only one who can provide red LED.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 13

Some update, light has been changed to 12W T5, the China made LED is disaster. Colour is terrible, no enough light and the brightness reduced 40% comparing to the first day. You can't imagine what is going to happen for these light. Adding some softy and mentipora and baby LPS. Everything looks good except 1 snail being sucked by the pump. Purchased an Eheim hang on filter. Throwing in some chaeto to fight for algae.

20130706_212707_zps9228bb11.jpg

Archived