Coral Vue Hydros

The 40B Club.

BeardedReeferLLC

Paandemonium

Petco on Kendall and 120th, where the Chilli's and Sports Authority is across from the BestBuy and Barnes and Noble.

Went to Strictly yesterday, got a spongidiode(?) a Blasto and a neon tipped frogspawn that just arrived. Do those montis change colors? Because I feel like its looking different then when Luis bagged it.

Where could I procure a glass eurobrace with 40b dimensions? Would it be something a glass shop could do? I'm worried the edges of the glass under the stock brace will be total poop. :/

Thats soooo farrrrrr lol, Ill take a trip :)

Some times they do but it depends on water quality a lot

• Like 1

Petco on Kendall and 120th, where the Chilli's and Sports Authority is across from the BestBuy and Barnes and Noble.

Went to Strictly yesterday, got a spongidiode(?) a Blasto and a neon tipped frogspawn that just arrived. Do those montis change colors? Because I feel like its looking different then when Luis bagged it.

Where could I procure a glass eurobrace with 40b dimensions? Would it be something a glass shop could do? I'm worried the edges of the glass under the stock brace will be total poop. :/

A glass shop could cut the pieces for ya. The biggest issue is silicone barely sticks to acrylic but bonds to glass like crazy.

You would be removing the stock brace I thought? You could do a brace all along the inside or on top of the rim or just one piece that goes straight across the middle preferably 6" or so wide and at least 1/4" thick. Either way it shouldn't cost much at all to have the pieces cut from a shop, just shop around. Make sure the shop knows that you need nice 90 degree edges some shops are pretty sloppy i've found.

• Like 2

Good morning everyone. I’m upgrading from my panorama pro’s and looking at the AI Hydra. Do you think 1 Hydra would be enough to cover my 40B? What other good options are out there? My tank is going to be mainly SPS.

• Like 1

Good morning everyone. I’m upgrading from my panorama pro’s and looking at the AI Hydra. Do you think 1 Hydra would be enough to cover my 40B? What other good options are out there? My tank is going to be mainly SPS.

One Hydra would work with light spread over a 24" area if you were concentrating on just the middle of the tank for SPS, but I am not familiar with the fixture . I have a SPS only tank and I just purchased these So26 a few weeks ago and my coral are acclimated and show signs of growth all-ready from the new lights. I have a Pokerstar monti on the bottom of the tank and it looks like it's growing a 1/4 every couple days :D

I reviewed the lights alot from other guys growing SPS online, and I really am impressed with the fixture!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes I run a single MP10 and it's more than enough flow. I keep SPS and zoanthids only and its great. As a matter of fact when my nem was in the tank it was way too much flow for it unless at 50% or in certain areas of the tank. It is a bit challenging figuring out placement depending on your rock work.

Just got my MP10 in. My tank is going to be mostly SPS dominated. I know you only run 1 MP10 but I was curious, what mode do you run it on and what do you have it turned up to? I currently only have the MP10 in the tank and have an additional 400 GPH from my returns and I'm debating if it's enough for high flow demanding corals. I have a couple of powerheads (one with 1350 GPH and one with 750 GPH) I could add. What's your thoughts?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

here is my 40B

It was started about 3.5months ago

Display Tank: 40G Breeder.
Display Lighting: EcoTech Radion Gen 2 w/ Wide angle lenses
Stand: built myself
Sump: 20G Long [Skimmer section l Return Section]
Total System volume is approx 50G.
Overflow: 1 1" bulkheads center of tank
System Water: Red Sea Coral pro salt/BRS RODI
Display Water circulation: WP-25, Tunze 6015
Controller: N/A
Return Pump: Rio 800 plus
Heater: Jager 250w

Skimmer: SCA 301
Evaporation Top Up Unit: Manual
Testing: Red Sea Reef Foundation Mg/Ca/Alk, Red Sea Algae control Nitrate/phosphate, Refractometer

Chemical Support: B ionic 2 part, Vintamin C, Red Sea Reef Energy, Seachem Zooplankton

Nutrient Export: CPR nano BioPellet reactor 120ml 2 little fish pellets

Nitrate- undetectable

Phosphate- .02ppm

Calcium- 440

Alk- 9

mag- 1360

Salinity- 35

Temp- 79

JON_4455_zps0232df4e.jpg

JON_4454_zps64ae781a.jpg

JON_4453_zps689793a6.jpg

Dont mind how ugly the sump is..it works

JON_4456_zpsaf9e17f6.jpg

• Like 1
Laagernaught

Finally getting around to posting some pics of my 40b. I've kept things pretty simple here and it's been a good learning experience for the past year and a half I've had it up. My plan is to transition into a more complete and diverse setup when I move out of my condo.

Some info about the setup:

Tank - Sumpless 40 gallon breeder, open top with custom mesh lid

Rocks n sand - Mix of Fiji and pukani liverock with special grade reef sand and fiji pink

Lighting - Maxspect Razor 120w 16k

Filtration - AquaC Remora S skimmer, Aquaclear 50 HoB(empty, formerly had floss and charcoal but I found it unecessary so it's now just for extra oxygenation)

Water movement - Ecotech Mp10(currently out of commision), Koralia evo 750

Top off - Tunze nano osmolator fed from 5 gallon bucket

Salt water source - BRS 4 stage RODI water w/ Instant Ocean Reef Crystals mixed to 1.026

Husbandry - 5 gallon water change, clean glass ~weekly, equipment cleaned as needed

Feeding - Pellets, small amount daily and PE frozen mysis weekly

Corals:

Xenia, pulsing. Yes the crazy forest of this was intentional for this tank lol. Started from one 2 inch frag
Mushroom colony, haven't ID'd it specifically

Green Star Polyp

Zoanthid colony, not sure on this one either

Inverts:

Multi color BTA, now 2. Split while I was on vacation and not lookin that hot

Tiger Pistol Shrimp

Nassarius, Turbo, Cerith and Nerite snails

3 Scarlet Reef Hermits

1 Emerald crab

Fish:

ORA Yellow Stripe Maroon clown

Ocellaris Clown

3 Blue/Green Reef Chromis

Starry Blenny

Blue Spotted Watchman Goby

20140520_165503_zps91b2e069.jpg

20140520_165748_zps3a9ce8ce.jpg20140520_165631_zps527a9ea3.jpg20140520_165617_zpsb7030b5d.jpg20140520_165647_zpsa7da4e55.jpg20140520_165716_zps2211eda0.jpg20140520_165809_zpseb70f957.jpg20140520_165850_zps5ca4fe0e.jpg20140520_165859_zps116354c8.jpg20140512_170819_zps1db2ab4a.jpg20140512_171240_zps8c2b2909.jpg20140512_171614_zpsa1992d05.jpg20140512_171611_zps0ea71ed7.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I have 2 40Bs now.

One is scratched and I want to move everything init to a nicer home, site to site transfer.

Anyone know of rimless starfire 40Bs.

And or basic stand for the tank. I have two 40b Brooklyn steel stands, one is costemetically rusting, steel duh.

I should have bought a couple more back when I had the chance, bah.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Display Lighting: 2 150 hqi Phoenix 14k with two 36" t5 ati blue plus retro

Stand: built myself

Sump:MRC 26 gallon

Total System volume is approx 66 gal

Overflow: 1 1" bulkheads

System Water: reef crystals /BRS RODI

Display Water circulation: WP-25

Controller: N/A

Return Pump: Pan world external

Heater: Jager 250w

Skimmer: SCA 301

Evaporation Top Up Unit: jbj

Testing: hanna alk, salifert mag, ca, api for the rest Refractometer

Chemical Support: kalkwasser ato

Nutrient Export: Macro algae

Nitrate- undetectable

Phosphate- .02ppm

Calcium- 440

Alk- 8.2 dkh

mag- 1440

Salinity- 1.0026

Temp- 81

B39CFC72-A805-4472-9622-55992067F220.jpg

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
reefnewbie1985

after 1 month vacation came back with dirty tank so i decide to do a complete clean up. also trim the sps a bit they are growth so big and touching all my glass. so yah here we go

post-74206-0-00586600-1426673944_thumb.jpg

post-74206-0-90024000-1426673953_thumb.jpg

post-74206-0-13687800-1426673964_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
Spoon Fed EM1

I'm loving this thread!

Some of you guys have some really nice setup and 40Bs!

I can't wait to get my 40B up and running in a few weeks, I'll be sure to add my setup on here once I get everything ordered

Hope to see more!

• 5 months later...
righttirefire

Hey cool people,

I'm going to be joinin the 40 Breeder club... maybe not soon.

But the idea is a 40B display and sump. DIY stand. Currently I run a 20L display with a 20H sump.

Center over flow or corner overflow/s? I'd be entertaining a 2nd mp10. Upgrading my sump pump. Nanobox quad currently on its way. I'm thinking reef cleaners rock and cuc. Apex. I'm shopping. I like spending money just font have much to spend. A blessing and curse. I spend a lot of time researching and miss some "good deals"

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey cool people,

I'm going to be joinin the 40 Breeder club... maybe not soon.

But the idea is a 40B display and sump. DIY stand. Currently I run a 20L display with a 20H sump.

Center over flow or corner overflow/s? I'd be entertaining a 2nd mp10. Upgrading my sump pump. Nanobox quad currently on its way. I'm thinking reef cleaners rock and cuc. Apex. I'm shopping. I like spending money just font have much to spend. A blessing and curse. I spend a lot of time researching and miss some "good deals"

The question of center vs. corner overflow is really just aesthetics. Choose whatever you think will look best with the scape you have planned or the viewing angle you'll usually have of the tank. I usually watch my tank from my couch, which sort of looks at the tank from an angle from the right side, so putting the overflow box over on the left side made sense to me so it wouldn't be down on the end I look at most often.

I'd definitely recommend a 2nd MP10. One by itself really isn't enough flow. I've got two turned up to about 80% power and a really strong return flow on my 40B. Everything you're thinking sounds great so far. Good luck!

Here's my 40B mixed-reef predator tank. It houses 3 different lionfish species and a snowflake eel.

IMG_8396.jpg

IMG_8656.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • 7 months later...

Start up date 5/10/2016

Display Lighting: 2 AI Primes
Stand: unknown brand
Sump: 20 long
Overflow: custom made by Simply Nano.
Refugium Lighting: TaoTronics Led Grow light Bulb

System Water: RODI.
Display Water circulation: PP-8 x2
Controller: n/a.
Return Pump: XL 700 Hydroponics Odyssea

Skimmer: SCA-301
Evaporation Top Up Unit: N/A
Chemical Support: N/A

ROCK: BRS Pukani Dry Live Rock

post-91417-0-12170900-1463349709_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Start up date 5/10/2016

Display Lighting: 2 AI Primes

Stand: unknown brand

Sump: 20 long

Overflow: custom made by Simply Nano.

Refugium Lighting: TaoTronics Led Grow light Bulb

System Water: RODI.

Display Water circulation: PP-8 x2

Controller: n/a.

Return Pump: XL 700 Hydroponics Odyssea

Skimmer: SCA-301

Evaporation Top Up Unit: N/A

Chemical Support: N/A

ROCK: BRS Pukani Dry Live Rock

I really like your rock structure! are you going to create a build thread? I see you only have one post, welcome to Nano-Reef!

• 1 month later...

Looks like this tread is slowing down to much.

I am currently getting ready to build my seventh system and it will be a 40B with possibly a 20L sump.

Lighting: Giesemann Infinity MH/T5 combo fixture, I know MH why not go LED. Well I for one never liked the LED systems, all personal preference.

Flow: dual MP10ESw

Ghost overflow - Beans and animal style

I'll add to this post later once I have a more clear picture of what I will be running.

Cheers,

Alex

• Like 1

I am with you on the ghost overflow. What ghost brand and size are you going with? I am thinking of either synergy 16" or elite aquatic ghost.

rich

• 7 months later...

I hope this thread doesn't die. I am in the process of putting together a list for a 40B building a stand for it currently and still deciding on what sump I want to do and overflow. Wish I had room for a ghost overflow. So I'm either stuck with a standard overflow or maybe a coast to coast if I can find someone to cut a piece of acrylic that long. 

• 2 months later...