AC 70 not currently modded "probably in the future"

Derimmed

New rockwork and sand.

post-45134-0-58842900-1386968869_thumb.jpg

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fulltankshot

So I come crawling for advice.... Should I clean up my sand bet completely? What needs to happen? Top left is a big macro sitting on the return valve. Needs pruned.

I am open to suggestions.. The lighting should be good with the 3x 18watt panoramas... I've got some money to fix it and make it better and would love input.

Get rid of the Kenya trees, clean up the sand, and add some color. It doesn't look all that bad, could be worse.

Suggestions for getting rid of the trees? They're on the main rocks. I'd like to keep at least one as the wife likes them but suppose if full removal is the best suggestion then I'll do it and maybe make a pico of kenya tree for her.

Maby beef up the cuc a little.I bet 8-10 ricordea and a few paly colonies would make the tank pop

May have to go through ReefCleaners and get some.

I would be weary about cleaning the sandbed if it has been untouched for this long. If you had the room to set up a temporary tank for a little bit you could put all the livestock in the temp tank and completely replace the sandbed with new. Do a couple water changes to make sure the water is good, then stuck everything back in.

The sandbed has a fair amount of snail shells on it. Shouldn't be too hard to remove them...... Hopefully.... Hah.

I completely agree with creating a new aquarium and moving on from there... Sadly the wife disagrees.

Thanks!

-Not

In my nano I stir the sand up one small section at a time at each water change. I try to get the sediment and detritus that comes up in clouds with the siphon and let the filter floss catch all the grey sediment that comes up and I cannot get with the siphon. I replace the filter floss about every third day on the nano. Because I do one section a week I think the bacteria in the rest of the tank is robust enough to take up the slack of any disruption I may have caused.

I hope this helps.

Told her I'm going to cut it, put it on frag plugs, and take it to lfs for store credit. Anything to save money on my hobby = happy wife :-D

Thank you all for the wonderful advice.. Will try to keep this one up to date!

Man these threads drop down the pages quick. Cut most of the kenya tree off. Hopefully the LFS will give me some store credit for the frags since at least ones very good size.

Trying to figure out why... but the nem seems to have decided that the best place for it is in the crack where no light really gets to it...

20130613 223410

pick off all the empty shells, small rocks, rubble, empty frag plugs from the sand bed. remove the bubble algae from the power head and the strings of chaeto that is laying around. what is that on the top left?

Top left is penny macro from reefcleaners that grabbed hold of the return valve and went nuts. I need to prune it still.

Fed everything and did some carbon/purigen changing today. Will move onwards towards the cleaning up of the sand bed tomorrow.

Thank you guys again for the advice!

I am open to suggestions.. The lighting should be good with the 3x 18watt panoramas... I've got some money to fix it and make it better and would love input.

I think you need a new rockscape, it looks like it was just tossed in but it would need to be done carefully if the tank is old. How old are the panorama's? Are they still under warranty?

TBH I'm kind of done with the panorama. The first ones stopped working and these ones seem to be losing intensity. It may be better to just hold out and buy a 20 at the next petco dollar per gallon and go from there. We will see.

Have cleaned up the sand a fair amount. Going to call it quits for a week or so and see how things settle out before doing much more.

Thanks all for looking!

-Not

Maybe its time to rethink my strategy and work on a better way of doing aquaria..... Wonder if someone will hold my coral/frags and let me redo my tank.

TBH I'm kind of done with the panorama. The first ones stopped working and these ones seem to be losing intensity. It may be better to just hold out and buy a 20 at the next petco dollar per gallon and go from there. We will see.

Have cleaned up the sand a fair amount. Going to call it quits for a week or so and see how things settle out before doing much more.

Thanks all for looking!

-Not

The 19w ones have problems but the 16w ones fixed the issue I believe. The reason I ask is they would replace them with 16w if still under warranty. Maybe even if they aren't they would still replace them, as I am pretty sure they are aware of the issue. I had to replace some 19w ones and they sent me new 16w ones right away without asking me to return the old ones.

The 19w ones have problems but the 16w ones fixed the issue I believe. The reason I ask is they would replace them with 16w if still under warranty. Maybe even if they aren't they would still replace them, as I am pretty sure they are aware of the issue. I had to replace some 19w ones and they sent me new 16w ones right away without asking me to return the old ones.

Maybe I'll bother them about it then. This is the second set of 19 watters. I love their color for the most part just.... not happy with it.

Will shoot them an email.

You could pick up a 10g and throw everything in with the Lr and redo the tank, then let it cycle. I vote for a sumped 20H :)

Kind of what I was thinking except moving to a diff tank compeletely and letting the BC be the "temp" tank.. Hmm...

I would use the biocube over a petco 10g unless you want to go larger :o

Archived