SaltCritters.com

1stimereefer's 1st tank- RETIRED

FlowerMama

OH CRAP!. SPS come tumbling down. Came home today to find one acro that fell down the hill on the right side. Another one fell right down the center of the tank and landed in my smaller and paler colored ricordea. And that ricordea looked like it was going to become 3 at some point, was starting to get wavy- now it looks like 2/3 of it is gone, it was melted up against the sps that fell on it. It has a mouth and still has polyps but not full like it was. With my last water change Saturday I added ml of Seachem's fuel so hopefully those aminos will help it some in its recovery. I didn't want to but looks like I'll have to glue them down due to the hermits and astreas knocking them down.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nano sapiens

OH CRAP!. SPS come tumbling down. Came home today to find one acro that fell down the hill on the right side. Another one fell right down the center of the tank and landed in my smaller and paler colored ricordea. And that ricordea looked like it was going to become 3 at some point, was starting to get wavy- now it looks like 2/3 of it is gone, it was melted up against the sps that fell on it. It has a mouth and still has polyps but not full like it was. With my last water change Saturday I added ml of Seachem's fuel so hopefully those aminos will help it some in its recovery. I didn't want to but looks like I'll have to glue them down due to the hermits and astreas knocking them down.

Yup, happens quite a bit, especially if not well glued. Hermit crabs and snails tend to do this the most, but I also had a Bi-color Dottyback that took a delight in knocking off frags in his swimming space.

SPS that fall into Rics nearly always loose that battle.

Yup, happens quite a bit, especially if not well glued. Hermit crabs and snails tend to do this the most, but I also had a Bi-color Dottyback that took a delight in knocking off frags in his swimming space.

already glued a couple.

The sps that fell was the left one but it doesn't look really damaged, just a little lightened color in one spot. We'll see over the next week.

Your latest FTS is :wub: I'm happy for your upgrade, but I would love to see this one really fill in. I can imagine it's glory in my head LOL. SPS are so easy to relocate after gluing down...as long as it doesn't become a ginormous colony. Just snip and move.

Your latest FTS is :wub: I'm happy for your upgrade, but I would love to see this one really fill in. I can imagine it's glory in my head LOL. SPS are so easy to relocate after gluing down...as long as it doesn't become a ginormous colony. Just snip and move.

ty Gena- I want that glory you're envisioning. Never having done this I'm just guessing how it will look. Acans all started with one head (except for one)- one is so fluffy you can't tell it has 2 babies underneath. All acans have 2 babies. I can't wait until the dendro and duncan have 3 heads. My Vivids Rainbow Paly started w/ like 3 polyps, it has like 7 now. Is it ok for ricordea and a red mushroom to be on the same rock?? I was considering moving the yellow ric down where the gsp is and put the gsp on the slope down on the left coralline colored rock where the ric is now. It's not glued or anything either. I didn't know if the ric really needed to be on the sand when it splits or not whereas the gsp I know can be on the rock. Ha, and I found a completely white brittle star today for the first time. Guess I never noticed because it was under the rock in the white sand.

ty Gena- I want that glory you're envisioning. Never having done this I'm just guessing how it will look. Acans all started with one head (except for one)- one is so fluffy you can't tell it has 2 babies underneath. All acans have 2 babies. I can't wait until the dendro and duncan have 3 heads. My Vivids Rainbow Paly started w/ like 3 polyps, it has like 7 now. Is it ok for ricordea and a red mushroom to be on the same rock?? I was considering moving the yellow ric down where the gsp is and put the gsp on the slope down on the left coralline colored rock where the ric is now. It's not glued or anything either. I didn't know if the ric really needed to be on the sand when it splits or not whereas the gsp I know can be on the rock. Ha, and I found a completely white brittle star today for the first time. Guess I never noticed because it was under the rock in the white sand.

Yeah...you did a great job of placing your corals. They will grow in beautifully together if given a chance. You have an eye for placement! So, even with the upgrade it will be awesome, I'm sure of it. Regular discosoma (sp?) mushrooms are completely fine with ricordeas. I've mixed mine together. Sometimes mushrooms will "argue". I have some rhodactis that gave some regular mushrooms a bad time. You just have to watch and see how they react. Cool about the brittle! I love those!

Yeah...you did a great job of placing your corals. They will grow in beautifully together if given a chance. You have an eye for placement! So, even with the upgrade it will be awesome, I'm sure of it. Regular discosoma (sp?) mushrooms are completely fine with ricordeas. I've mixed mine together. Sometimes mushrooms will "argue". I have some rhodactis that gave some regular mushrooms a bad time. You just have to watch and see how they react. Cool about the brittle! I love those!

It's inspiring to hear that I've placed my corals well. thanks so much. I'm pleased. I'm sure you're having a hard time sitting still w/ the excitement of your tank build and getting corals from Randi. I don't know how you sleep at night.

Looking good! Mind if I ask what "updated pump" you're using? I'm looking at setting up one of these tanks as a kitchen area tank!

Looking good! Mind if I ask what "updated pump" you're using? I'm looking at setting up one of these tanks as a kitchen area tank!

MaxiJet 400.

Is this an umbilical cord? The faintly attached string? I don't know what baby shrooms look like but at first I thought my mushroom might be trying to move down the rock, now I see it left what I hope is a baby mushy- I hope it's a yes, would look pretty cascading down.

005_zpsdaa96350.jpg

Nano sapiens

As 'Shrooms ooze along they leave bits of tissue behind to start new 'babies'. That's very likely what you are seeing here.

As 'Shrooms ooze along they leave bits of tissue behind to start new 'babies'. That's very likely what you are seeing here.

Perfect, thanks. Hooray, you're the second person that said it's going to look wonderful when it fills in. My only concern because it is a small tank is not knowing what happens as far as warfare when they start to fill in as these are all a 1/2 inch to inch away from each other. Zoas have their bridge, sps have their mountain top. ric and mushroom will probably be ok, then there's.....

acan vs. gsp

acan vs. vivids rainbow paly

gsp vs. vivids rainbow paly

vivids rainbow paly vs goni and duncan vs goni.

acan vs dendro

dendro vs duncan

superman rhodactis vs duncan

BattleAthletics

I'd get rid of the gsp I grew an inch in a week in my 8 gallon I'd rather leave the acans

Your tank is light years away from mine.... Mine is boring and bland

I'd get rid of the gsp I grew an inch in a week in my 8 gallon I'd rather leave the acans

That I'll be able to frag off to a friend for sure, other than that I can put a chunk on the backside of a rock facing the back wall of the tank. There's also a small front part that has nothing on it. I can also put some in my 20L come January when I start it. I thought I heard gsp stings. It is one of the brightest corals in my tank for sure. Yeah, I'm NOT touching my acans. They're here to stay. I'm protective of them already that's for sure.

Your tank is light years away from mine.... Mine is boring and bland

I don't see your tank as boring. I think the column you have going is very original and it has TONS of holes for a skinny fish to go through or for frag placement.

Is this an umbilical cord? The faintly attached string? I don't know what baby shrooms look like but at first I thought my mushroom might be trying to move down the rock, now I see it left what I hope is a baby mushy- I hope it's a yes, would look pretty cascading down.

005_zpsdaa96350.jpg

It's a baby! :wub: Congrats! :happydance:
BattleAthletics

I don't see your tank as boring. I think the column you have going is very original and it has TONS of holes for a skinny fish to go through or for frag placement.

I think im not getting enough light to them though. Im talking about coral placement.i might have to shave something in the back off.

More colorful pics. Aside from that I saw my peanut worm again. I love that ugly thing.

I moved my superman rhodactis to where the gsp was and moved the gsp under the zoa bridge. Mushroom has better color and extension.

URL=http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/046_zpsabd9a701.jpg.html]046_zpsabd9a701.jpg[/url]

061_zpsf549df66.jpg

I couldn't be happier with the Vivids Rainbow- when I got it May 7th it had 3 polyps, now it has 7 and is either trying to move off the plug or has a 2 baby nubs.

052_zpsc61186dc.jpg

And my Rock flower nem is growing as well.

040_zpsfb69ac9d.jpg

FlowerMama

Look at this acan baby- since the feeding Friday or Saturday (pitiful I can't remember) it doubled in size!

064_zps5d130393.jpg

lnglostsurfer

Wow, your tank is looking great!! You're already lightyears ahead of me. I hate that I had to kind of put everything on hold but once I get back in town from my vacation I'll start buying a few frags again to help fill this thing up. Has Shawn had anything good lately? I haven't had a chance to go in there in almost a month now. It would be nice if she would get some ricordias in there and a few SPS, all I've seen is a couple small pocillipora (sp?) frags.

Archived