ReefCleaners.org

THE OFFICIAL TRIDACNID CLAM THREAD

ZephNYC

ClownTriggerDude

Zeph, I always give praise to those who deserve it. ;)

Do you have a place where I could see your tank and clams ?

Also, when you have time, could you give me/us, like a top 10, 15,......a list of do's & don'ts of clam keeping and even photo's & video's ?

I think it would be very interesting and informative,....for everyone !

Thanks,

Kevin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zeph, I always give praise to those who deserve it. ;)

Do you have a place where I could see your tank and clams ?

Also, when you have time, could you give me/us, like a top 10, 15,......a list of do's & don'ts of clam keeping and even photo's & video's ?

I think it would be very interesting and informative,....for everyone !

Thanks,

Kevin

If Zeph doesn't have the time, there's a FAQ on clams at the very top of this forum........

Check it out.....

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/153218-a-faq-on-clams/

Zeph, I always give praise to those who deserve it. ;) Do you have a place where I could see your tank and clams ? Also, when you have time, could you give me/us, like a top 10, 15,......a list of do's & don'ts of clam keeping and even photo's & video's ? I think it would be very interesting and informative,....for everyone ! Thanks,Kevin

Hi Kevin, sure thing. ASAP! I will empty my brain out on here later tonight. Thank u for your interest!

here it is 20140908_182539_zps26f53f3c.jpg 20140908_182546_zpsf3242a78.jpg

Hmmm, not sure it's preparing to spawn, but it sure does look cool!

Hey zeph, what are the oldest clams (total time in your system) you have from each species right now? I know Bertha is old but how about crocea, maxima and squas?

It. definitely couldbe that aptasia living on it is stinging and annoying it. Put the clam in a bowl and scrub the she'll clean, and we shall see.

Hey zeph, what are the oldest clams (total time in your system) you have from each species right now? I know Bertha is old but how about crocea, maxima and squas?
I have had a lot of problems in my tanks, so not as long as you might think. Crocea 7 months, Maximas 6 months...but they definitely have improved since I cut back on water changes.

hmm. my crocea is covered in aptaisa and still looks healthy. https://flic.kr/p/p3SCf4]15128716175_11431fb339_b.jpg[/url]https://flic.kr/p/p3SCf4]FSH_0499[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/people/127239994@N04/]loraine_klein1[/url], on Flickr i'll try scrubbing them clean.

In all honesty, the clam looks a lot worse than that one aptasia could pull off. So what's wrong with it? Well, to quote my favorite fish dude, Julian Sprung, " sometimes clams just die for no reason".

Remember those pictures of dr Macs clam farm in French Polynesia? He showed pictures of the islands near where these clams are plucked. These islands were not actually islands but miles and mountains of dead clams, solidified over the centuries.

so, i am looking at picking up my first maxima. When selecting one, what color/patterns are the most desirable/cost the most? I understand a lot of it is based on personal preference but I am not trying to overpay for something that turns out to be ridiculously common.

Also my lfs happens to have a very bright blue one at about 6+ inches for 180. Would it make more sense to purchase that if I get a closer look at it and it seams healthy over ordering a 100$+ clam online that is about 2 inches?

• 2 weeks later...

so, i am looking at picking up my first maxima. When selecting one, what color/patterns are the most desirable/cost the most? I understand a lot of it is based on personal preference but I am not trying to overpay for something that turns out to be ridiculously common.

Also my lfs happens to have a very bright blue one at about 6+ inches for 180. Would it make more sense to purchase that if I get a closer look at it and it seams healthy over ordering a 100$+ clam online that is about 2 inches?

ask the lfs about the clam, like where it came from, how long they had it, stuff like that, cause usually the captive bred ones are more expensive, but in the end its what ever you feel the clam is worth.

hope everyone had a good weekend, i recently lost all my fish so now im starting new, with the fish. im not sure what i want to do now.. anyone have ideas

Well I figure I should talk about my clam problems...

1st off I had a 6" maxima and 8-9" derasa that were growing like weeds. Tons of new growth, I didn't think a clam that large could still grow so fast (I got him already large). Since they were doing so well I figured that I would get some more!

So from DD I got the fancy ORA turquoise squammy, and a ORA black squammy. Both arrived fine. Both died inside the two weeks. So that was a bummer, but I figured at least I wasn't out any money. But... shortly after that my maxima got "sick" and died. Now this guy had been growing super fast, nothing else had changed at all in the tank except the ORA clams, no waterchanges, no new media, just my normal 2 part dosing. Talk about sad... but it gets worse.

My great big derasa then started gaping at night as I brought up in a post. I tried moving him around and figuring out what was bugging him, no snails and he was in the same spot where he was growing great. He was excreting mucus and brown "stuff" for lack of a better word. Now his is really quite big and tough so I keep trying a few things like lighting him 24hr, prevented the night gaping, but more mucus and brown - probably his zooxanthellae, and it kept getting worse and worse. I transferred him to a qt tank. I looked in all my clam books but couldn't find anything about this and looked online quite a bit but didn't find anything at 1st. I then got some cipro as a last measure since the "disease" seems to have started with another clam and why not hope it's bacterial and try something. Some people have been successful treat anemones with cipro, and I didn't have much to lose. I didn't see any improvement. After much digging I found this thread on reef central:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98953&highlight=doxycycline+clam

It's pretty much exactly what happened after I got the DD ORA clams...

I am trying doxycycline now, even if it didn't work for them it looks like they saw some improvement, but my big guy is near the end. Of course my sweet GF bought me more clams before the ORA ones died. A blue indo squammy, ebay derasa, and ORA derasa. Well the little blue guy is doing great from DD, the ebay derasa is good but the ORA derasa was showing the same "sickness" and is now in the qt tank with the big clam. Maybe I caught his sickness before it's too late?? Who knows, but it sucks.

It ended pretty much as expected with two dead clams. Heartbreaking. I will never get another ORA clam again, not even a derasa. At least not from LA.

Good news in the little blue squammy from DD (not ORA) and the derasa from ebay are looking good in the tank. They were apparently added late enough to avoid any infection? They have good growth and appear normal at night. I did also lower the tank from 82 to 77 right before I got these guys, no clue if that mattered or not. After losing the big guy I won't be adding clams for quite a while.

I am afraid to add more clams for that reason. I WANT MORE! but so paranoid I might kill my healthy one. I am tempted to set up a QT tank with live rock from the DT and use old tank water with my current clam for waterchanges for it... maybe that would help make the QT tank a healthy place for a clam?

Not that it's worth much, but I was doing 100% WC per day in the qt tank (10g) and what I would do is put 10g into my dt, and then remove 10g from the display tank for the qt so hopefully the clam would get some nutrients. The clams in the DT didn't seem to mind the daily small change. I was also running metasorb from TLF in the dt so any heavy metals in my new water were absorbed. But don't listen to me unless you like taking advise from a clam killer. Unless killing clams makes a person an expert, haha.

• 2 weeks later...

thought i'd update you zeph. i lost the gold maxima after 723 days. :(

Wow, sorry to hear this. You had a good run though.

I have received two PM's from members wanting to purchase my Gigas clam. So just for the record, It is for sale. She's over 30 inche's and the price is 5k. I have had her for 8 years. This is a reasonable price for a CITES item of this caliber.

jedimaster1138

I have received two PM's from members wanting to purchase my Gigas clam. So just for the record, It is for sale. She's over 30 inche's and the price is 5k. I have had her for 8 years. This is a reasonable price for a CITES item of this caliber.

Sold...in about 2 years pending set up of a special Bertha only tank...and pending my wife not hearing about it or noticing the $ spent :-P

Archived