Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

THE OFFICIAL TRIDACNID CLAM THREAD

ZephNYC

To back up Tetradon, my blue max was .75" when I got in Dec. It is now almost 1.5".I think we bought from the same place, too.

And you probably don't even feed it. That's awesome.

You could maybe culture fruit flies and to feed it simply release them under a glass bowl and let the plant do its thing, may be a little to small and escape though

That's way, wayyyyyyy to much work for a single plant! I wouldn't have got it if I didn't have a plan though. I heard you can feed them meat, as they are carnivores, and NR members have backed me up. So that's the plan!

roaches? water bugs?
My basement is loaded with them. Good thing u never come over at night.

I had one when I was a kid. IIRC - it was 25 years ago, lol - I gave it tiny pieces of cold cuts like once a week. Use a tooth pick and as soon as the meat touches the 3 signal-hair trip wires, it will snap shut and you can gently withdraw the tooth pick. It's a very delicate operation, obviously. Only stick a very, very short amount of the wood of the pick through the meat so you don't have to stress it by having a big wooden thing in the mouth.
That's exactly what I planned on doing. I'll try to get it on video.
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you's not doin your job of maintaining the reg.. hopefully you've got it on paper as to who, what, how long, gfo or not etc.. so we can see what works in the long term.

ClownTriggerDude

ZephNYC-

As great as Dr. Fosters & Smith has been with our received clams and either returning our money or picking out replacement's, I don't think we'll be buying clams their any longer, as three have died. One was DOA and the others within 2-3 days.

I believe the DOA clam just got to hot in the shipping container, as they only packed the box with to ice packs and were warm to the touch. I asked with shipping the second clam shipment to ad two more packs, one clam is doing great, but the second one died yesterday. I realize,.....shipping in the summer heat is touchy, especially with delicate clams.

If,......heat is the issue, I won't be ordering any until fall. I can see that being the issue with the DOA clam, but being the others survived and doing well, that can't be the problem, unless they were just too stressed.

We've been with Dr. Foster & Smith for many years, with all of our pet supply's, but I will not order any of the poor animals that have died, if them & ORA are not taking very well cared for not collecting, breeding and shipping, the best way's possible.

Another reason may,....be, is these clams are just to young and small to be shipped ?

What do you and everyone else think ?

diablomaster9045

Are you KIDDING ME!!!!????? Do I see DENDRONEPTHEA in this tank ??? I L O V E Dendroneptheas and have been keeping them for years. A +++ Super insane tank !!! You da man !!!! Thank you for registering. :) I will update the list today for sure. I see youre running halides too..I love you even more now~~

HAHAHA yup. I have had that dendronephthya for about a year now, but no growth yet. But its not shrinking which is the most important part. And Halides are the only way to go at the moment as LED's just don't quite compare. I am going to get reamed by the LED fan boys for that comment :P.

Also, that Gigas you have is SICK!!!!!!! I want one but no one arround me imports them anymore.

So I put a wet Betta pellet on the leaf this morning ( trust me this was no easy task) and it hasn't even budged! What's wrong with this thing? Lol!

post-73763-0-21975900-1409250542_thumb.jpg

jedimasterben

So I put a wet Betta pellet on the leaf this morning ( trust me this was no easy task) and it hasn't even budged! What's wrong with this thing? Lol!

It has to touch two of the 'hairs' in succession to trigger it to close.

ZephNYC-

As great as Dr. Fosters & Smith has been with our received clams and either returning our money or picking out replacement's, I don't think we'll be buying clams their any longer, as three have died. One was DOA and the others within 2-3 days.

I believe the DOA clam just got to hot in the shipping container, as they only packed the box with to ice packs and were warm to the touch. I asked with shipping the second clam shipment to ad two more packs, one clam is doing great, but the second one died yesterday. I realize,.....shipping in the summer heat is touchy, especially with delicate clams.

If,......heat is the issue, I won't be ordering any until fall. I can see that being the issue with the DOA clam, but being the others survived and doing well, that can't be the problem, unless they were just too stressed.

We've been with Dr. Foster & Smith for many years, with all of our pet supply's, but I will not order any of the poor animals that have died, if them & ORA are not taking very well cared for not collecting, breeding and shipping, the best way's possible.

Another reason may,....be, is these clams are just to young and small to be shipped ?

I have had terrible luck with their ORA clams.

I have had terrible luck with their ORA clams.

Everybody does. Of course even a broken clock is correct twice a day, so once in a blue moon a member brags how his/hers is doing great, but 99% these clams just don't make it.

It's a real shame because they should be super hardy.

ZephNYC-

Sorry for the delayed response. My personal opinion is that ORA clams should do better if you get them from your LFS instead of Live Aquaria. My reasoning is that Live Aquaria purchases them in fairly large amounts, and they sit on the shelf a little while before they get posted. Nothing wrong with that, but I know for a fact they run heavy ozone gas in their clam system, and that will bleach out every trace of organics and clam food. Long short? If u buy a clam from DD make sure it was recently posted that day or yesterday. Avoid the ORA Deresa and squamosa clams for sure. These are purchased in very high bulk and nearly all look half dead to me even in the listing! I don't think the summer heat is an issue, clams, even small ones actually ship very well.

ClownTriggerDude

Wow, that's just confirms our thoughts about them, as we've decided to buy elsewhere. Even though we get our money back, It's not worth the killing of clams. :angry:

What about,...

Pacific Island Imports

Benz Marine World

and especially,...

Clam Mania

and

Your Reef ?

I really like the clam #1 (among many others) lol

http://www.yourreef.com/clams/electric-teal-blue-maxima-clam-2-1-2-2.html

I think i'm roughly 2 for 5 with ORA clams. I have an ORA Derasa that's been with me for around a year and has grown a LOT. The others (except a brand new small one) have all died.

I got a really nice Blue/Gold Squamosa (pic below) from DD yesterday and it had pyramid snails on it. Be warned guys, check your livestock and quarantine if you can!

cz2YH4h.jpg

I think i'm roughly 2 for 5 with ORA clams. I have an ORA Derasa that's been with me for around a year and has grown a LOT. The others (except a brand new small one) have all died.

I got a really nice Blue/Gold Squamosa (pic below) from DD yesterday and it had pyramid snails on it. Be warned guys, check your livestock and quarantine if you can!

cz2YH4h.jpg

You say it had a pyramid on it? I really did not want to break this to the public, but divers den is having a pyramid snail problem on their clam system.if u call them and complain they will reimburse you for that clam. By the way I have the same clam, let me know how yours is doing from time to time please.

Here are some more papers:http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21895416]http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21895416[/url]Any of you have your clams open their mouth very wide at night with normal mantle extension and all else looking good in the day?

That's called gaping, and it's a stress response and a signal something is wrong.

ZephNYC, have you seen this? https://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8567206]https://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8567206[/url] On a side note: My big maxima (bought 3 weeks ago) suddenly died overnight. No clue why. :-/

Yes! And this is why I feed my clams three times a day! As per your big maxima, I'm sorry to hear this, but know that happens more often than it does not.

Wow, that's just confirms our thoughts about them, as we've decided to buy elsewhere. Even though we get our money back, It's not worth the killing of clams. :angry: What about,... Pacific Island Imports Benz Marine World and especially,... Clam Mania and Your Reef ? I really like the clam #1 (among many others) lol http://www.yourreef.com/clams/electric-teal-blue-maxima-clam-2-1-2-2.html]http://www.yourreef.com/clams/electric-teal-blue-maxima-clam-2-1-2-2.html[/url]

im probably not the best guy to answer this question because I will only buy clams from Pacific east aquaculture mostly, and risk a Live aquaria clam once in a blue if it looks special.

cz2YH4h.jpg

Here's mine...

Nice dendro colony...

post-73763-0-56762900-1409522828_thumb.jpg

post-73763-0-42688800-1409522950_thumb.jpg

You got the super nice one post a few days ago didn't you.... I missed out on that 'cause I was in class :-(

Probably. new DD items are almost always posted at EXCTLY 6 pm, mon- fri. I'm always checking at 5:59 for first choice. It's a good thing I have no class. Lol!

I thought the accepted reef definition of gaping was mouth open with mantle not extending past edges during the day, but open mouth at night also counts huh? Damn.

I thought the accepted reef definition of gaping was mouth open with mantle not extending past edges during the day, but open mouth at night also counts huh? Damn.

No doubt, that would be a classic case of "night gaping". It's a clear indication the clam is weak as it starts stretching its intake as soon as the light energy stops.

Archived