Pod Your Reef

THE OFFICIAL TRIDACNID CLAM THREAD

ZephNYC

This page will be constantly updated as clams are added and removed.

CURRENT REGISTRY UPDATED 1/1 /2014

HAPPY NEW YEAR CLAM KEEPERS!!!!!!!! WELCOME TO MY CLAM OBSESSION!!!!

ZephNYC -1 Gigas,;11 maximas, 1 squamosa, 1 crocea, 1 deresa

Acropora793 - 1 crocea

AlexPsycho - 1 squamosa

Amored - 1 crocea

Basser1 - 1 Maxima

Carnecchia, Justin - 1 crocea

Chadf-1 crocea

Ghill762- 1 crocea, 1 maxima

ChrisL - 1 maxima, 1 squamosa 6/30/13

Coco66 - 1 Maxima

Collegenano - 2 crocea

Dunkan-junkie - 1 maxima 11/10/13

flsvedlund- 1 Maxima 10/20/13

Grumblecakes - 1 MOSTER Crocea. MASSIVE! 6/21/13, 2 squamosas

Gti - 1 crocea 8/28/13

HALLZOO - 1 Deresa 7/1/13

Herptile - 1 Crocea, 1 Maxima

icedearth15324 - 1 deresa w/ exceptional growth, 1 maxima

JedimasterBen - 1 maximas, 1 Deresa

Kirky- 1 Deresa 12/12/13

kriv4o - 2 croceas, 1 deresa

Maxxumless - 1 crocea

MeepNand - 1 crocea

MetroKat - 2 bad @ss Maxima's

MikeTR - 1 Maxima 6/21/13

Nut_hatch 1 maxima

OMGSIIK - 1 squamosa, 3 maximas

Owlbassboy - 1 maxima in a 3 G

Rehype - 3 maximas

Sangheili - 1 Maxima

Tamberav - 1 BIG maxima 11/5/2013

Tj_Burton - 1 maxima

TheKlienReef - 1 maxima, 1 crocea

Tochtli- 2 croceas 10/21/13

VlAngel - 1 crocea

Wankreas - 1 crocea 6/29/13

Ward827 - 1 Deresa 8/1/13

Currently tracking 67 clams.

Here is the registration form. JUst copy/paste this onto a new post and fill it out. I will take care of the rest. THanks guys and gals!

Species of clam?

Lighting - bulb, ballast and count?

Clam depth in the tank in inches?

DOC level estimate? ( dont worry almost nobody can answer this)

Do you skim?

Do you run carbon?

Do you run GFO?

Did you ever freshwater dipped the clam ?

Are you seeing new growth?

Calcium/Alk Method?

Where and when did you get it?

Do you purposely feed ?

tank size

Most importantly !!!!! Water changing schedual ????

Got nitrates ???

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Acropora793

Species of clam? T. Crocea

Lighting - blub, ballast and count? 120w Chinese led
Clam depth in the tank in inches? 16-18"
DOC level estimate? No Clue
Do you skim? Hell YA
Do you run carbon? No
Do you run GFO? No but I use biopellets
Did you ever freshwater dip the clam? no
Are you seeing new growth? yes about 1/2 in. in 1st month and a half
Calcium/Alk Method? 2 part on diy dosing pump so it is automatic and consistent
Where and when did you get it? lfs almost free for 5 bucks!

Crocea under actinic

Lighting - blub, ballast and count? 120w Chinese led

Clam depth in the tank in inches? 16-18"

DOC level estimate? No Clue

Do you skim? Hell YA

Do you run carbon? No

Do you run GFO? No but I use biopellets

Did you ever freshwater dip the clam? no

Are you seeing new growth? yes about 1/2 in. in 1st month and a half

Calcium/Alk Method? 2 part on diy dosing pump so it is automatic and consistent

Where and when did you get it? lfs almost free for 5 bucks!

This is good....I did this on another forum and am finding out most people with clam success are not running any GFO or carbon. I may remove my phosguard reactor. THank you.

CollegeNano

Species of clam? T. Crocea x2

Lighting - aquatraders 250w

Clam depth in the tank in inches? 6" and 10", and light is probably 6" above tank.

DOC level estimate? Would guess low in new, bb tank

Do you skim? Yes

Do you run carbon? Yes

Do you run GFO? Yes

Did you ever freshwater dip the clam? No

Are you seeing new growth? Yes, but I do not keep track.

Calcium/Alk Method? Water changes

Where and when did you get it? Large: at least 5 yers ago, LFS $50; small: at least 3 years ago, LFS $50

I love your idea!

Clams today: IMG_5071_zps4f81be15.jpg

Fts showing clam sizes: IMG_5060_zpsbfd21ac8.jpg

Large clam in 2008: P9060332.jpg

Species of clam? T. CroceaLighting - blub, ballast and count? 120w Chinese ledClam depth in the tank in inches? 16-18"DOC level estimate? No ClueDo you skim? Hell YADo you run carbon? NoDo you run GFO? No but I use biopelletsDid you ever freshwater dip the clam? noAre you seeing new growth? yes about 1/2 in. in 1st month and a halfCalcium/Alk Method? 2 part on diy dosing pump so it is automatic and consistentWhere and when did you get it? lfs almost free for 5 bucks!

How did you manage $5?! Nice.

Lighting - blub, ballast and count? 4x24w T5 ati/kz bulbs

Clam depth in the tank in inches? 14"

DOC level estimate? Low

Do you skim? Yes

Do you run carbon? No

Do you run GFO? No

Are you seeing new growth? Don't think so

Calcium/Alk Method? 2 part

Where and when did you get it? Swap 2/12

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what ? No

image-38.jpg

Species of clam? T. Crocea x2

Lighting - aquatraders 250w

Clam depth in the tank in inches? 6" and 10", and light is probably 6" above tank.

DOC level estimate? Would guess low in new, bb tank

Do you skim? Yes

Do you run carbon? Yes

Do you run GFO? Yes

Are you seeing new growth? Yes, but I do not keep track.

Calcium/Alk Method? Water changes

Where and when did you get it? Large: at least 5 yers ago, LFS $50; small: at least 3 years ago, LFS $50

I love your idea!

Clams today: IMG_5071_zps4f81be15.jpg

Fts showing clam sizes: IMG_5060_zpsbfd21ac8.jpg

Large clam in 2008: P9060332.jpg

5 years for a crocea is some of the best I have ever seen. Sweet.

I'll start with a few of the current ones:

20130519_102357.jpg

Species of clam- T. Squamosa

Lighting - blub, ballast and count- Was Aquatraders 4x39w with stock bulbs from Sept-Dec. 2012

Then upgraded bulbs to 2x Blue+, 1x Aquablue Special, 1x Purple Plus

Current: 2x AI Vega Color currently acclimating
Clam depth in the tank in inches- Sandbed of a 40 breeder.
DOC level estimate- Unknown
Do you skim- Yes
Do you run carbon- I ran carbon initially then started using Chemi Pure Elite solely starting September 2012.
Do you run GFO- No reactor for me
Did you ever freshwater dip the clam- Yes, about 5 times since September whenever it didn't extend fully for a few days.
Are you seeing new growth- Yes, about 1/4" every 2-3 months
Calcium/Alk Method- Brightwell Aquatics Magnesion and Calcion, Kent Super Buffer every 2 days-Test every 2 days.
Where and when did you get it- September 2012 @ my LFS

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what- No direct feeding, I feed my fish a mixture of: frozen crushed krill, mysis, Cyclops, brine, baby brine, oyster eggs, ROE, Kent Phytomax, Kent Chromomax, pellets. Interchange frozen food and Kent's dead shelf stuff every other day.

MORE TO COME LATER

CollegeNano

5 years for a crocea is some of the best I have ever seen. Sweet.

Its funny because I have trouble even keeping softies alive sometimes, not to mention my sps had a horrible bleach out when I moved. For some reason, though, these clams keep on going! Maybe they feel bad for me haha.

I'll start with a few of the current ones:

20130519_102357.jpg

Species of clam- T. Squamosa

Lighting - blub, ballast and count- Was Aquatraders 4x39w with stock bulbs from Sept-Dec. 2012

Then upgraded bulbs to 2x Blue+, 1x Aquablue Special, 1x Purple Plus

Current: 2x AI Vega Color currently acclimating

Clam depth in the tank in inches- Sandbed of a 40 breeder.

DOC level estimate- Unknown

Do you skim- Yes

Do you run carbon- I ran carbon initially then started using Chemi Pure Elite solely starting September 2012.

Do you run GFO- No reactor for me

Did you ever freshwater dip the clam- Yes, about 5 times since September whenever it didn't extend fully for a few days.

Are you seeing new growth- Yes, about 1/4" every 2-3 months

Calcium/Alk Method- Brightwell Aquatics Magnesion and Calcion, Kent Super Buffer every 2 days-Test every 2 days.

Where and when did you get it- September 2012 @ my LFS

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what- No direct feeding, I feed my fish a mixture of: frozen crushed krill, mysis, Cyclops, brine, baby brine, oyster eggs, ROE, Kent Phytomax, Kent Chromomax, pellets. Interchange frozen food and Kent's dead shelf stuff every other day.

MORE TO COME LATER

More clam success with no GFO. Im liking this....lets see some more I KNOW u have maximas. :) Also, thats ALOT of food!! NICE!

Its funny because I have trouble even keeping softies alive sometimes, not to mention my sps had a horrible bleach out when I moved. For some reason, though, these clams keep on going! Maybe they feel bad for me haha.

That's exactly my dilemma but in reverse. I can keep all the really hard, expert only corals, and they grow like weeds, but my system is just not friendly for maxima clams - YET. It all revolves around dissolved DOC, This is why I ask about it. However nobody really knows because you cant test for it. Well you can but the test is not available in this country.

Acropora793

Some dude brought it in because one of his fish were picking at it and he didn't want the clam to be injured, but the employe he was talking to thought it was just a dulll looking clam (worked in freshwater section), so he wouldn't be able to sell it for any money. The dude was just about to give it away to them for free, so I told him that I would take it for 5 bucks and he said that would be great. So just being lucky!!!

FYI, all entries on this thread are printed out and filed and will be reviewed from time to time. Certain owners of interest will be contacted periodically for updates :)

Acropora793

One suggestion that might be a good idea is to have each entry to try and be updated every month with new information about the clam and setup to try and see the affects of changes better.

That's exactly my dilemma but in reverse. I can keep all the really hard, expert only corals, and they grow like weeds, but my system is just not friendly for maxima clams - YET. It all revolves around dissolved DOC, This is why I ask about it. However nobody really knows because you cant test for it. Well you can but the test is not available in this country.

Buy it on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Salifert-Profi-Organic-Test-Kit-/370423007608?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item563eee8978#shId

5 Gallon AGA Tank

Species of clam? T. crocea

Lighting - blub, ballast and count? LED lights, currently running 6RB and 6NW, but switching to 4RB 2NW 3HV soon.
Clam depth in the tank in inches? 4" from surface
DOC level estimate? No idea
Do you skim? No
Do you run carbon? No
Do you run GFO? No
Are you seeing new growth? Not yet due to lighting stress I think (lots of changes)
Calcium/Alk Method? Seachem Reef Calcium and Arm & Hammer baking soda
Where and when did you get it? Marine Depot Live on March 1st 2013

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what ? No, but I do feed Phyto-feast and Zoplan twice a week.

One suggestion that might be a good idea is to have each entry to try and be updated every month with new information about the clam and setup to try and see the affects of changes better.

I agree, but I think every month may be to frequently. I was thinking 3 month updates ??? and of course I would like to be notified if/when any of the clams die.

THANKS!!! I just ordered it!!!

Ive been meaning to get another, Ive had them in the past and I really like them.

5 Gallon AGA Tank

Species of clam? T. crocea

Lighting - blub, ballast and count? LED lights, currently running 6RB and 6NW, but switching to 4RB 2NW 3HV soon.

Clam depth in the tank in inches? 4" from surface

Do you skim? No

Do you run carbon? No

Do you run GFO? No

Are you seeing new growth? Not yet due to lighting stress I think (lots of changes)

Calcium/Alk Method? Seachem Reef Calcium and Arm & Hammer baking soda

Where and when did you get it? Marine Depot Live on March 1st 2013

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what ? No, but I do feed Phyto-feast and Zoplan twice a week.

Awesome...no skimming, no carbon and no gfo. I LOVE IT.

Registration page. This page will be constantly updated as clams are added and removed.

Currently tracking 7 clams.

Me -1 Gigas

Acropora793 - 1 crocea

Collegenano - 2 crocea

Chadf-1 crocea

MeepNand - 1 crocea

OMGSIIK - 1 aquamosa

You only have one clam? :P

Registration page. This page will be constantly updated as clams are added and removed.

Currently tracking 7 clams.

Me -1 Gigas

Acropora793 - 1 crocea

Collegenano - 2 crocea

Chadf-1 crocea

MeepNand - 1 crocea

OMGSIIK - 1 aquamosa

You're only listing your gigas?

You're only listing your gigas?

Nooo..I will list them all, I just have to look through my invoices to check purchase dates and maybe take some new pics.

Species of clam? Maxima

Lighting - blub, ballast and count? DIY LED lights (6 color channels- NW, RB, B, V, G, DR)
Clam depth in the tank in inches? 16" from surface
Do you skim? Yes - SRO-1000
Do you run carbon? yes in a bag
Do you run GFO? Yes, just added a refugium so i may be taking this offline.
Did you ever freshwater dip the clam? NO.....however PacEast says they dip all their clams
Are you seeing new growth? Just got him yesterday currently at 1.75" (just a babe)
Calcium/Alk Method? Kalkwasser....adjustments with Peladow and Baked baking soda
Where and when did you get it? Pac-east-aqua 6/7/13

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what ?Nope

He's currently setting at about 100-125 Par (Apogee) on the sand

I want to get him a half clam shell to attach to so that i can move him into about 200-225 Par on the rocks.

euoles.jpg

Species of clam? Maxima

Lighting - blub, ballast and count? DIY LED lights (6 color channels- NW, RB, B, V, G, DR)

Clam depth in the tank in inches? 16" from surface

Do you skim? Yes - SRO-1000

Do you run carbon? yes in a bag

Do you run GFO? Yes, just added a refugium so i may be taking this offline.

Did you ever freshwater dip the clam? NO.....however PacEast says they dip all their clams

Are you seeing new growth? Just got him yesterday currently at 1.75" (just a babe)

Calcium/Alk Method? Kalkwasser....adjustments with Peladow and Baked baking soda

Where and when did you get it? Pac-east-aqua 6/7/13

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what ?Nope

He's currently setting at about 100-125 Par (Apogee) on the sand

I want to get him a half clam shell to attach to so that i can move him into about 200-225 Par on the rocks.

euoles.jpg

Nice Maxima...Thank you for you for registering. These PEA babies require ALOT of light, so if I was you I would place it up high on the rockwork. Seams like these polynesians really like natural sunlight as well.

Nice Maxima...Thank you for you for registering. These PEA babies require ALOT of light, so if I was you I would place it up high on the rockwork. Seams like these polynesians really like natural sunlight as well.

Yep. Are there any pre-made clam disks on the market that you can have them attach too? I almost want to make a little deck for him on the very top of the rock!

Yep. Are there any pre-made clam disks on the market that you can have them attach too? I almost want to make a little deck for him on the very top of the rock!

There is a clam "care package" but its loaded with a bunch of stuff nobody needs. I can mail you a few half shells if you want.

CollegeNano

Some dude brought it in because one of his fish were picking at it and he didn't want the clam to be injured, but the employe he was talking to thought it was just a dulll looking clam (worked in freshwater section), so he wouldn't be able to sell it for any money. The dude was just about to give it away to them for free, so I told him that I would take it for 5 bucks and he said that would be great. So just being lucky!!!

Sounds like a good day. I am going to the LFS this weekend to hopefully find a third clam. This thread gave me the itch!

I have only ever tried crocea. Maybe I will find an affordable maxima on Monday at the LFS!

There is a clam "care package" but its loaded with a bunch of stuff nobody needs. I can mail you a few half shells if you want.

Wow that would be awesome!! I'll PM you!

Archived