Innovative Marine Aquariums

THE OFFICIAL TRIDACNID CLAM THREAD

ZephNYC

Nice Maxima...Thank you for you for registering. These PEA babies require ALOT of light, so if I was you I would place it up high on the rockwork. Seams like these polynesians really like natural sunlight as well.

They certainly do. I've noticed a big difference when my shades are wide open and the sun shining down and into my tank.
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMG_20130409_182948.jpg

Species of clam- ORA T. Maxima x2

Lighting - blub, ballast and count- Was Aquatraders 4x39w with stock bulbs from Sept-Dec. 2012

Then upgraded bulbs to 2x Blue+, 1x Aquablue Special, 1x Purple Plus Jan-Jun.

Current: 2x AI Vega Color currently acclimating
Clam depth in the tank in inches- About 9" (midway up on liverock of a 40 breeder)
DOC level estimate- Unknown
Do you skim- Yes
Do you run carbon- I ran carbon initially then started using Chemi Pure Elite solely starting September 2012.
Do you run GFO- No reactor for me
Did you ever freshwater dip the clam- Yes, zebra maxima on right x1 (dead the following morning), suspected bad reacclimation to new tank. It never really opened up compared to the lightning max.
Are you seeing new growth- Yes, on the lightning max, but minimal on the zebra. The zebra was never really happy for the 9 months I've had it.
Calcium/Alk Method- Brightwell Aquatics Magnesion and Calcion, Kent Super Buffer every 2 days-Test every 2 days.
Where and when did you get it- Live Aquaria Divers Den 9/12/12

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what- No direct feeding, I feed my fish a mixture of: frozen crushed krill, mysis, Cyclops, brine, baby brine, oyster eggs, ROE, Kent Phytomax, Kent Chromomax, pellets. Interchange frozen food and Kent's dead shelf stuff every other day.

Lightning max is now over 2.5". It started off to be about 1.5-1.75".

20130513_082409.jpg

Species of clam- WYSIWYG PEA T. Maxima

Lighting - blub, ballast and count- Was Aquatraders 4x39w with stock bulbs from Sept-Dec. 2012

Clam depth in the tank in inches- About 3/4 up on liverock
Do you skim- Yes
Do you run carbon- I ran carbon initially then started using Chemi Pure Elite solely starting September 2012.
Did you ever freshwater dip the clam- Yes, x1 just recently. Ruling out all possibilities due to my bulbs vs. ballast vs. disease.
Are you seeing new growth- Yes, slowly, but i'm assuming it's due to such a thick shell compared to the smaller max's.
Calcium/Alk Method- Brightwell Aquatics Magnesion and Calcion, Kent Super Buffer every 2 days-Test every 2 days.
Where and when did you get it- PEA, Early February 2013.

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what- No direct feeding, I feed my fish a mixture of: frozen crushed krill, mysis, Cyclops, brine, baby brine, oyster eggs, ROE, Kent Phytomax, Kent Chromomax, pellets. Interchange frozen food and Kent's dead shelf stuff every other day.

Despite the recent scare, this maxima is still doing well. Colors are even better under the new lighting.

20130513_082359.jpg

Species of clam- "Our Pick" PEA T. Maxima

Then upgraded bulbs to 2x Blue+, 1x Aquablue Special, 1x Purple Plus Jan-Jun.- This particular clam was introduced about a week or two before I noticed the ATI's were crapping out.

Clam depth in the tank in inches- About 3/4 up on liverock next to the other PEA maxima.
Do you skim- Yes
Did you ever freshwater dip the clam- Yes, x2 just recently. Ruling out all possibilities due to my bulbs vs. ballast vs. disease. This one was closed up more than the maxima next to it. I find that this particular maxima seems to need more light compared to the other specimen.
Are you seeing new growth- Yes, but I cannot say it's from my tank since I haven't had this one too long.
Where and when did you get it- PEA, May 2, 2013.

This maxima seems like it's extending it's mantle more now with the new LEDs in place. I'm still slowly acclimating it to the new lighting.

justin carnecchia

I love this idea, great thread.

Species: Crocea (I think)

Tank: 29g Biocube

Lighting: 14,000k 150w hqi

Depth: 15" light is 5" above water

DOC: ?

Skim: Eshopps psk-75h

Carbon: No

GFO: No (but cyno problem has me thinking about it, currently trying macro in fuge)

Fresh H2O Dip: No

Growth: Yes, noticeable growth since I've had it

Calcium/Alk: Salifert AIO (about to switch to 2 part)

Where did you get it: I bought the tank used a couple months ago and it came with tank, given the lack of distinguished scutes I assume it was wild.

Do you feed it: No

post-79140-0-09861500-1370745326_thumb.jpg

Species of clam: Tridacna maxima and T. crocea.

Lighting - blub, ballast and count?: Two PAR38 bulbs.
Clam depth in the tank in inches? 9.5 inches.
DOC level estimate?: No idea.
Do you skim?: Yes but it's almost useless.
Do you run carbon?: I ran carbon for a month or so. Did more harm than good.
Do you run GFO?: No.
Did you ever freshwater dip the clam?: No.
Are you seeing new growth?: Yes.

Calcium/Alk Method?: Kent's Nano Reef Parts A and B. Kent's Purple Tech dosed occasionally.
Where and when did you get it?: T. maxima on June 2012, T.crocea on March 2013. Both wild caught.

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what?: No. I just feed the fish and broadcast feed Kent's ZooPlex.

March202013.jpg

20130513_082409.jpg

Species of clam- WYSIWYG PEA T. Maxima

Clam depth in the tank in inches- About 3/4 up on liverock

Do you skim- Yes

Did you ever freshwater dip the clam- Yes, x1 just recently. Ruling out all possibilities due to my bulbs vs. ballast vs. disease.

Are you seeing new growth- Yes, slowly, but i'm assuming it's due to such a thick shell compared to the smaller max's.

Where and when did you get it- PEA, Early February 2013.

Despite the recent scare, this maxima is still doing well. Colors are even better under the new lighting.

20130513_082359.jpg

Spot saved for later

So far you are the leader of club Maxima. Congratulations. Next I will come up with some type of reward for our elite clam keepers.

I love this idea, great thread.

Species: Crocea (I think)

Tank: 29g Biocube

Lighting: 14,000k 150w hqi

Depth: 15" light is 5" above water

DOC: ?

Skim: Eshopps psk-75h

Carbon: No

GFO: No (but cyno problem has me thinking about it, currently trying macro in fuge)

Fresh H2O Dip: No

Growth: Yes, noticeable growth since I've had it

Calcium/Alk: Salifert AIO (about to switch to 2 part)

Where did you get it: I bought the tank used a couple months ago and it came with tank, given the lack of distinguished scutes I assume it was wild.

Do you feed it: No

attachicon.gifclam.jpg

Hi, and thank you for registering. Your clam is indeed a crocea and it looks great. In regards to you cyano situation, macro will get rid of it much better than carbon. I had a cyano problem in my seahorse tank for years, even running carbon, but once I started growing macro in there it all went away rather quickly.

Species of clam: Tridacna maxima and T. crocea.

Lighting - blub, ballast and count?: Two PAR38 bulbs.

Clam depth in the tank in inches? 9.5 inches.

DOC level estimate?: No idea.

Do you skim?: Yes but it's almost useless.

Did you ever freshwater dip the clam?: No.

Are you seeing new growth?: Yes.

Calcium/Alk Method?: Kent's Nano Reef Parts A and B. Kent's Purple Tech dosed occasionally.

Where and when did you get it?: T. maxima on June 2012, T.crocea on March 2013. Both wild caught.

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what?: No. I just feed the fish and broadcast feed Kent's ZooPlex.

March202013.jpg

Hey!!! THanks for registering. Your clams look drop dead gorgeous.

Oh, and I LOVE this:

jedimasterben

Species of clam? T. squamosa
Lighting - blub, ballast and count? Custom LED lighting - 260 PAR on sandbed, total of 57 watts (output, not power) of blue light - 445nm and 430nm
Clam depth in the tank in inches? Sandbed - 12" to water's surface, another 8" to light sources
DOC level estimate? Medium to intensely high
Do you skim? At times, yes
Do you run carbon? Except for recently
Do you run GFO? Have, but not always
Did you ever freshwater dip the clam? No
Are you seeing new growth? Yes
Calcium/Alk Method? Two part, Brightwell calcium and baked baking soda
Where and when did you get it? 08/09/2012 at Petco in Port Saint Lucie, FL
Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what? Not intentionally, phytoplankton fed to tank to feed other animals

IMG_0488.jpg

Clam is deceased as of today, 6/8/2013, showing zero signs of disease or parasite, and has had no algal growth, no pyramellid snails, no gaping without any mantle extension. No swings in salinity, calcium, alk, or temperature.

Species of clam? T. maxima
Lighting - blub, ballast and count? Custom LED lighting - 260 PAR on sandbed, total of 57 watts (output, not power) of blue light - 445nm and 430nm
Clam depth in the tank in inches? Sandbed - 12" to water's surface, another 8" to light sources
Are you seeing new growth? No
Where and when did you get it? 10/20/2012 at the Fish Store in Fort Pierce, FL
Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what? Not intentionally, phytoplankton fed to tank to feed other animals

IMG_0383-1.jpg

Clam is doing well as of today. Has gaped occasionally at night, but nothing extreme and nothing anywhere near consistent. Has not had any new shell growth that I can see, which may be consistent due to a low light level (originally 220 PAR).

Where and when did you get it? 11/11/2012 at the Fish Store in Fort Pierce, FL

20121223-IMG_0069.jpg

Clam is doing well as of today. Has not had any new shell growth that I can see, which may be consistent due to a low light level (originally 220 PAR).

Species of clam? T. derasa
Do you skim? At times, yes, but not for this clam's life so far
Where and when did you get it? 04/13/2013 from Fintastic Aquariums in Jensen Beach, FL

IMG_0385-1.jpg

Clam is doing fine so far.

Clam depth in the tank in inches? Rockwork - around 8" under the water's surface, another 8" to lights
Do you skim? At times, yes, but for this clam's life, no
Where and when did you get it? 04/29/2013 from LiveAquaria.com Divers Den

207b3c15-dfa5-4131-9b67-840f757a203a.jpg

Clam died on 5/23/2013, no previous signs of disease or parasite, no gaping, etc.

There is also a crocea and derasa clam that I lost in the past, but I don't have definitive dates. I most likely killed the crocea from underillumination, the derasa I'm still unsure of.

Species of clam? T. squamosa

Where and when did you get it? 08/09/2012 at Petco in Port Saint Lucie, FL

IMG_0488.jpg

Clam is deceased as of today, 6/8/2013, showing zero signs of disease or parasite, and has had no algal growth, no pyramellid snails, no gaping without any mantle extension. No swings in salinity, calcium, alk, or temperature.

Where and when did you get it? 10/20/2012 at the Fish Store in Fort Pierce, FL

IMG_0383-1.jpg

Clam is doing well as of today. Has gaped occasionally at night, but nothing extreme and nothing anywhere near consistent. Has not had any new shell growth that I can see, which may be consistent due to a low light level (originally 220 PAR).

Where and when did you get it? 11/11/2012 at the Fish Store in Fort Pierce, FL

20121223-IMG_0069.jpg

Clam is doing well as of today. Has not had any new shell growth that I can see, which may be consistent due to a low light level (originally 220 PAR).

Species of clam? T. derasa

Do you skim? At times, yes, but not for this clam's life so far

Where and when did you get it? 04/13/2013 from Fintastic Aquariums in Jensen Beach, FL

IMG_0385-1.jpg

Clam is doing fine so far.

Clam depth in the tank in inches? Rockwork - around 8" under the water's surface, another 8" to lights

Do you skim? At times, yes, but for this clam's life, no

Where and when did you get it? 04/29/2013 from LiveAquaria.com Divers Den

207b3c15-dfa5-4131-9b67-840f757a203a.jpg

Clam died on 5/23/2013, no previous signs of disease or parasite, no gaping, etc.

There is also a crocea and derasa clam that I lost in the past, but I don't have definitive dates. I most likely killed the crocea from underillumination, the derasa I'm still unsure of.

Hey, Thank you for registering. 8 months on that first large Maxima is a very good record. Even better considering that color pattern is even harder to keep. It is very true certain colors of maximas are more difficult than others. Those Purple/gold ones are veryyyy veryyy tricky and sensitive, and usually short lived in aquaria. Congratulations. :)

TheKleinReef

Species of clam: 1 Gold Maxima (3") 1 purple Crocea (3")

Lighting: Ecotech Radion Gen1 set at 12K (10am-3) , switching to 18K at around 4pm. max intensity 75%
Clam depth in the tank in inches: 14" both on pieces of rubble resting on the sand.
DOC level estimate: n/a
Do you skim: yes asm g-1 rated for 100g
Do you run carbon: passively in overflow box approximately 1/2cup
Do you run GFO: no, 1/4 cup of phosban
Did you ever freshwater dip the clam: no
Are you seeing new growth: yes. both have 1 new lighter "ridge" underneath the mantle
Calcium/Alk Method: hand dose 1tsp Seachem's advantage Calcium, and 1.5 tsp Seachem's Reef Builder on alternating days
Where and when did you get it: Crocea: My LFS (Advanced Aquatics) purchased 4/28/2012. Maxima: My LFS (Advanced Aquatics) purchased 9/22/2012.

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what: an occasional table spoon of phyto, if i feel like it. which is usually around once every three weeks or so.

Additional Observations:

-Crocea gapes slightly when it's time for a water change. (which is usually 4g)

-Maxima seems very responsive to light

-Both always seem to lean over whenever i straighten them out.

-The crocea is attached on the rubble on a weird angle so have the shell is still in the sand.

I hope i can contribute to your data zeph :)

*i'll edit this post when i bust out the DSLR for pictures*

Species of clam: 1 Gold Maxima (3") 1 purple Crocea (3")

Lighting: Ecotech Radion Gen1 set at 12K (10am-3) , switching to 18K at around 4pm. max intensity 75%

Clam depth in the tank in inches: 14" both on pieces of rubble resting on the sand.

DOC level estimate: n/a

Do you skim: yes asm g-1 rated for 100g

Do you run carbon: passively in overflow box approximately 1/2cup

Do you run GFO: no, 1/4 cup of phosban

Did you ever freshwater dip the clam: no

Are you seeing new growth: yes. both have 1 new lighter "ridge" underneath the mantle

Calcium/Alk Method: hand dose 1tsp Seachem's advantage Calcium, and 1.5 tsp Seachem's Reef Builder on alternating days

Where and when did you get it: Crocea: My LFS (Advanced Aquatics) purchased 4/28/2012. Maxima: My LFS (Advanced Aquatics) purchased 9/22/2012.

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what: an occasional table spoon of phyto, if i feel like it. which is usually around once every three weeks or so.

Additional Observations:

-Crocea gapes slightly when it's time for a water change. (which is usually 4g)

-Maxima seems very responsive to light

-Both always seem to lean over whenever i straighten them out.

-The crocea is attached on the rubble on a weird angle so have the shell is still in the sand.

I hope i can contribute to your data zeph :)

*i'll edit this post when i bust out the DSLR for pictures*

Hey buddy! Thank you for registering !!!! Over a year on the Crocea is really great. No feeding either. A little every 3 weeks doesn't count. I hope and think people are realizing they do not need to feed their clams any prepared foods. Just nitrates and DOC.

Would love to see some recent pictures of it. I will be posting the rest of my clams tonight.

jedimasterben

Hey, Thank you for registering. 8 months on that first large Maxima is a very good record. Even better considering that color pattern is even harder to keep. It is very true certain colors of maximas are more difficult than others. Those Purple/gold ones are veryyyy veryyy tricky and sensitive, and usually short lived in aquaria. Congratulations. :)

My three remaining clams all looked pretty terrible as of yesterday. I cannot begin to think on what is the matter, but all three had their mantles retracted about halfway - no gaped incurrent siphon, though. The derasa clam looked 'puffy' for the interior of the mantle, kinda like it was a balloon that was blown up.

icedearth15324

Species of clam? T. deresa

Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? Steve's LEDs retrofit kit for 12g Nano Cube
Clam depth in the tank in inches? - 12 inches
DOC level estimate? i'm going to guess high
Do you skim? no
Do you run carbon? no
Do you run GFO? no
Did you ever freshwater dip the clam? yes, had early stages of PM
Are you seeing new growth? yes
Calcium/Alk Method? weekly water changes
Where and when did you get it? Reef Wise LFS, Lisle, IL - February 5, 2013

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what ? no, I feed the tank cyclopeeze every week or so

I don't have any recent pics, but this was from the end of April

post-78101-0-32008800-1370879394_thumb.jpg

Species of clam? T. deresa

Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? Steve's LEDs retrofit kit for 12g Nano Cube

Clam depth in the tank in inches? - 12 inches

DOC level estimate? i'm going to guess high

Do you skim? no

Do you run carbon? no

Do you run GFO? no

Did you ever freshwater dip the clam? yes, had early stages of PM

Are you seeing new growth? yes

Calcium/Alk Method? weekly water changes

Where and when did you get it? Reef Wise LFS, Lisle, IL - February 5, 2013

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what ? no, I feed the tank cyclopeeze every week or so

I don't have any recent pics, but this was from the end of April

attachicon.gif921715_10151347368565146_1912381213_o.jpg

The new growth on that Deresa is incredible!! Are you sure it did all that in your tank and wasn't like that when you purchased it ??? It is very possible to get all that growth in a deresa, they do grow faster then ALL othe clams - but WOW!!! Im thinking this is the reason for your exceptional growth -

Do you skim? no

Do you run carbon? no

Do you run GFO? no

And you don't really feed it, even better!! THanks for registering, very interesting. If this clam continues to grow in this manor we should all follow your husbandry techniques.

Species of clam? Derasa

Lighting? PCs in BC14 (50/50 & Actinic)
Clam depth in the tank in inches? 10
DOC level estimate? not sure
Do you skim? no
Do you run carbon? yes
Do you run GFO? purigen
Did you ever freshwater dip the clam? no
Are you seeing new growth? yes .5 inches in 3 months (almost identical to icedearth15324)
Calcium/Alk Method? no
Where and when did you get it? LFS March 2013

Do not feed.

Started him off on sand bed and just recently raised him about 4 inches into a crevice in the live rock

to try and get him a little more light. Never gapes and his mantle is slowly lightening again.

icedearth15324

The new growth on that Deresa is incredible!! Are you sure it did all that in your tank and wasn't like that when you purchased it ??? It is very possible to get all that growth in a deresa, they do grow faster then ALL othe clams - but WOW!!! Im thinking this is the reason for your exceptional growth -

Do you skim? no

Do you run carbon? no

Do you run GFO? no

And you don't really feed it, even better!! THanks for registering, very interesting. If this clam continues to grow in this manor we should all follow your husbandry techniques.

I do run purigen and chemipure elite, I didn't even think of them as carbon and GFO. Only reason I suspect that growth to be new is the first picture I took, showed the shell as pure white. It didn't get that greenish coloration on it until after it was in my tank, which is what lead me to believe all the new white shell was growth.

Oh yea, and my 12 gallon is overstocked haha, so maybe that helps.

Species of clam? Aquacultured Maxima

Lighting - blub, ballast and count? PC/T5s 110W upgraded to true T5HO Aquatic life 24W total 96W

Clam depth in the tank in inches? 10 inches below water line

DOC level estimate? clueless

Do you skim? yes

Do you run carbon? yes

Do you run GFO? yes

Are you seeing new growth? YES! omgomgomg

Calcium/Alk Method? BRS dosers controlled by Apex

Where and when did you get it? April 18th 2013 from PEA

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what ? I feed the tank a crap load of shiit. 2-3 kinds of live and dead phyto, oyster eggs, Zeo's "sponge" and various filter feeder and fish foods.

20130602_134723.jpg

Species of clam 4 Croceas one Squamosa average size 3'' all located in a 10gal plumbed into my system)

Lighting - blub, ballast and count DIY 14 3W Crees running full blast about 9 hours a day
Clam depth in the tank in inches 8-9
DOC level estimate:No idea
Do you skim: OH yeah
Do you run carbon Yes
Do you run GFO Yes but less than the recommended amount
Did you ever freshwater dip the clam:Never had to so far
Are you seeing new growth: Yes
Calcium/Alk Method: Kalk in ATO, 2 part dosing in the works
Where and when did you get it @ from a member on here, one from LFS, rest of them from on line vendors

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what: NO, but I feed my sun corals 3-4 times a week and believe the clams benefit from it

A few shots:

http://s927.photobucket.com/user/kriv4o/media/My%20REEF/DSCN0460.jpg.html'>DSCN0460.jpg

http://s927.photobucket.com/user/kriv4o/media/My%20REEF/IMG_20130607_151005_zpsc7362d0e.jpg.html'>IMG_20130607_151005_zpsc7362d0e.jpg

http://s927.photobucket.com/user/kriv4o/media/My%20REEF/IMG_20130607_151005_zpsc7362d0e.jpg.html'>IMG_20130607_151005_zpsc7362d0e.jpg

http://s927.photobucket.com/user/kriv4o/media/My%20REEF/IMG_20130607_151334_zpsa3bde7e5.jpg.html'>IMG_20130607_151334_zpsa3bde7e5.jpg

Species of clam? Aquacultured Maxima

Lighting - blub, ballast and count? PC/T5s 110W upgraded to true T5HO Aquatic life 24W total 96W

Clam depth in the tank in inches? 10 inches below water line

DOC level estimate? clueless

Do you skim? yes

Do you run carbon? yes

Do you run GFO? yes

Are you seeing new growth? YES! omgomgomg

Calcium/Alk Method? BRS dosers controlled by Apex

Where and when did you get it? April 18th 2013 from PEA

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what ? I feed the tank a crap load of shiit. 2-3 kinds of live and dead phyto, oyster eggs, Zeo's "sponge" and various filter feeder and fish foods.

Sorry Dahhhhling ,but I have no clue what this clam looks like < ehem > B) .

Species of clam 4 Croceas one Squamosa average size 3'' all located in a 10gal plumbed into my system)

Lighting - blub, ballast and count DIY 14 3W Crees running full blast about 9 hours a day

Clam depth in the tank in inches 8-9

DOC level estimate:No idea

Do you skim: OH yeah

Do you run carbon Yes

Do you run GFO Yes but less than the recommended amount

Did you ever freshwater dip the clam:Never had to so far

Are you seeing new growth: Yes

Calcium/Alk Method: Kalk in ATO, 2 part dosing in the works

Where and when did you get it @ from a member on here, one from LFS, rest of them from on line vendors

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what: NO, but I feed my sun corals 3-4 times a week and believe the clams benefit from it

A few shots:

DSCN0460.jpg

IMG_20130607_151005_zpsc7362d0e.jpg

IMG_20130607_151005_zpsc7362d0e.jpg

IMG_20130607_151334_zpsa3bde7e5.jpg

THank you for registering !!! That last clam is a Deresa...but you said Squamosa. Im going to log you in for 2 croceas and the Deresa pictures you posted..

So zeph, I've had my crocea for over a year and haven't noticed any growth. Why do suppose that is? My sps grow like weeds and everything has awesome color. Because I don't feed?

jedimasterben

So zeph, I've had my crocea for over a year and haven't noticed any growth. Why do suppose that is? My sps grow like weeds and everything has awesome color. Because I don't feed?

The largest crocea supposedly measured 15cm (5.9"), but Fatherree suggests that this was an exaggeration, as he's never seen one nearly that size. 4-5" would be max size depending on the specimen.

The largest crocea supposedly measured 15cm (5.9"), but Fatherree suggests that this was an exaggeration, as he's never seen one nearly that size. 4-5" would be max size depending on the specimen.

I'd say it's only about 2.5"

Archived