Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sully's ZeoPico Reef *new SPS frags*

mgsullivan24

mgsullivan24

Hey guys, there are a ton of awesome tanks here hopefully I can keep up. I know the people here have the best knowledge of these size tanks so I hope to be able to join in the club and soak in some expert knowledge and advice.

After not having a tank for about 9 months I finally got one set back up. I've been moving a lot so I decided to put the dream tank on hold and do a small tank that is easier to break down and set up when the times come. I have never found a small tank I really like so I decided to build my own. This was my first time so it's a little rough but I learned a lot and it holds water so I'm happy enough. If anyone cares to see more about the actual tank build I can put some pics up of the process.

Here us the tank just after I finished it, before I cleaned it up.

08618A6B-108B-4399-91BD-7FDF17F0DA44-741

The tank is 12"x12"x9" I didn't realize how thick 1/4" glass actually would be but that's what I ordered so I went with it. If I ever redo it next time i'll use Starphire glass and maybe a little thinner glass. And a bigger overflow next time. I didn't really want any equipment in the display so I put returns on both sides of the overflow. After running it for about a week now I'm realizing I'm going to need either more flow or a swirl nozzle or something like that.

Obviously I need a sump so I picked up a standard 2.5g glass aquarium and made it into a 4 chamber sump.

C84BC75B-71E2-45BC-8E64-FEB6CD4BF02C-510

B7D9BD8E-6D28-4B27-AF12-0DF60298D458-510

Last week I moved to a place I think I'll be at for while so quickly before I left town I grabbed the rest of what I needed to set up when I got moved in. I plan to replace the return pump soon and keep it for a backup because its a little loud, but I got a danner mag1.9 running on it now and its working fine, ill probably order a tunze or sicce soon. I also picked up an Aqueon Pro 50 heater and Aquaticlife 115 protein skimmer.

As for lighting, I wanted to try something new to me. I've used PC and LED in the past both with success. this time I am trying metal halide, I got a 70w Viper K-2 and a Ushio 20k bulb. For supplemental/dusk/dawn lighting I am using an Ecoxotic 453 blue Pico Strip. Like I said I've never used mh before but I'm excited to see the results, so far I love the color. I am looking for a small shelf to clamp the light onto to get it off the rim of the tank.

ready to set everything up

null_zps13adafd9.jpg

I built a manifold from the return to be able to tune both of the return sides independently. I also have a line coming off the manifold for doing WC's. I left one extra valve to feed a possible starfish holding tank since I would like to put a pair of harlequins in this tank.

null_zps6affd87f.jpg

null_zpsb1e9a076.jpg

null_zps262ee1e9.jpg

null_zpsafca363e.jpg

null_zpsa5a2cac9.jpg

I had a half of a bag of the Tahitian Moon and I picked up another bag of the Stoney River black sand, basically ended up using a half a bag of each.

null_zpsd5d0c320.jpg

null_zps8719b0df.jpg

That's all I can get in tonight. It's been wet for 7 days and i will fill you all in on how it's gone and where I am at now when I get some time tomorrow. Thanks for checking it out.

Reef Fever

looks good man, I home built my pico tank as well. Didnt do the actual tank itself, just turned it into an AIO

Reefer_Girl

Looks GREAT... I might use the same fish story/supply as you going by those jugs... LOVE THEM!

mgsullivan24

Thanks for the kind words, i appreciate it. Reefer girl what area are you located,

defender.TX

Nice DIY work! I love those 5 gallon containers, they are the same ones my LFS sells and I have a couple. I'm excited to see pictures of the tank wet.

mgsullivan24

Yeah those jugs are very handy while I don't have an RODI hooked up here.

About 6 months ago I put a bucket of rocks and sand in my dads sump so when I started this tank the rock and sand was nice and seasoned already. I have about 6lbs of rock in the tank.

null_zps0c372e0e.jpgnull_zps605a0381.jpgnull_zps58e771f2.jpgnull_zps1379d9d3.jpg

mgsullivan24

Well I went and picked up some more coral and I'm pretty well stocked now. A friend of mine that I have traded a bunch of coral with went through and fragged some of his sticks and zoas for me. I also had been stocking up some frags in my fathers frag tank, those corals have browned out quite a bit because they were in bad lighting but hopefully I can color them up again.

Current stock list

Soft-

3 random zoa colonies and frags

Radioactive dragon eye zoas

Orange Florida ricordea

Fire and Ice zoas

LPS-

3 acan frags

OG Mummy Eye chalice (sunburnt)

Orange chalice

SPS-

Green Millepora

Pink/purple Millepora

ORA Red Planet actopora

Rainbow montipora x2 (different mothers)

Superman montipora

Meteor Shower cyph

Larry Jackskon Tricolor acropora

Garf Purple Bonsai

Green/yellow acropora

Purple/yellow tip acropora

Undata montipora

Aussie Blue acropora

Green/pink acropora

null_zps9e684aa8.jpgnull_zps6af2647f.jpgnull_zps173b417a.jpgnull_zps1633411f.jpgnull_zps36007ca6.jpgnull_zps054958ed.jpgnull_zps7c555c93.jpgnull_zpsde8cc020.jpgnull_zps4423ef1c.jpg

Still getting stuff in place, a lot of the SPS will be moved still

mgsullivan24

Anyone know the PAR numbers for a 70w mh? I never really considered wether this light was powerful enough I just decided to give it a shot.

• 5 weeks later...
mgsullivan24

So I've been busy and haven't been able to update.

I have made a few changes to the tank in the past couple weeks. First off I realized the 70w mh was not supplying enough light for some of the sps. So I added on a dimble PrestigeLed 36w PAR38 bulb. I've had it for a year or so and it's a great light but I got it with a red bulb which I now regret, so for now I have some masking tape over the red bulb. Some of the corals seem to be looking better.

I also switched my fathers system onto Zeovit last week. Since I have been having some algae issues I did more research into using it on my tank. It's not going to be easy and it may crash the system, but, I went ahead and switched anyways.

I removed the CPE and added zeolite stones KZ carbon in a mesh bag and put that on a media tray in the sump. I am going to swap out the 2.5g sump for a 5g to give me room for a small aquaclear HOB filter that I can put the stones and carbon in to be able to control the flow. I also filled a few syringes of Zeobak, Zeofood7 and zeostart3 from my dads bottles. In the next few weeks ill order the zeo nano kit. Oh and a switched from RC to Red Sea blue bucket salt for the lower alk.

Also picked up a male Harlequin shrimp which I'm very excited about and while I was there I got a small blue Mille frag.

defender.TX

Pics with the new LEDs? Honestly, I know LEDs are efficient but I wouldn't have guessed a 38W bulb would put out more light than a 70W Metal Halide. Why don't you like the red diode?

mgsullivan24

Pics coming soon, sorry. I haven't been able to make it home while the lights are on in a few days hopefully this evening.

The PAR38 led bulb is WAY brighter than the MH possibly its the 90*optics. ill see if I can get that in the pics. I still want to have the mh spectrum in use so I've dimmed the Led bulb down a lot. The red diode added way too much of a pink look. When I was running two of them on my dads frag tank my red digi morphed to pink, my meteor shower cyphestrea turned pinkish instead of blue and several other colors morphed but not to my liking.

Nice looking build so far. Never did get the PAR numbers off the 70W when I had mine up, but it's definitely lacking for SPS.

BTW, no unions in your plumbing? I usually stick some in just in case I have to pull the pluming apart (cleaning, moving, etc.).

mgsullivan24

Nice looking build so far. Never did get the PAR numbers off the 70W when I had mine up, but it's definitely lacking for SPS.

BTW, no unions in your plumbing? I usually stick some in just in case I have to pull the pluming apart (cleaning, moving, etc.).

Thank you, and its funny you should mention it. Yesterday I moved from our townhouse to the neighbors and obviously had to break down the system. Luckily I did put threaded bulkheads on so it can always come apart at the bulkhead but I did have to cut the returns and put in slip couplers this time for the move. Thinking about it now it would have been much much smarter to put in unions.

Oh and you have to love nano/picos I broke down, moved everything and got running again within 45mins.

mgsullivan24

So I guess I've been stripping the water to quick and dropping alk a little quick. Have a few pieces not doing well and some RTN. Hoping sps starts to color up

First of all the new additions

First day

null_zps68083b25.jpg

Today

null_zpsbf7b8f0c.jpg

Harlequin shrimp

null_zpsc3655783.jpg

null_zps15aa8215.jpg

null_zps6ebeb34a.jpg

Lost the assui :( and you can see the red planet going in the background. I fragged the tip and its up next to the garf bonsai.

null_zps70d33016.jpg

null_zps6622e649.jpg

Superman

null_zpse8834dac.jpg

null_zpsa7b98d10.jpg

null_zps8b0a8604.jpg

null_zps619d5d43.jpg

null_zpsb72d77c9.jpg

Tip for your harlequins... try feeding asterinas. You can usually get 'em for free from most local stores that move a fair amount of live rock, and can keep a few week's worth in your sump (so that none can chance munching on your corals). Bonus in that they're much less likely to foul your water as the harlequins dine.

• 3 weeks later...
mgsullivan24
Tip for your harlequins... try feeding asterinas. You can usually get 'em for free from most local stores that move a fair amount of live rock, and can keep a few week's worth in your sump (so that none can chance munching on your corals). Bonus in that they're much less likely to foul your water as the harlequins dine.
Thanks for the tip, that's exactly what I've been doing. I am lucky to have a friend with a well seasoned and loaded up 400g DT that I have been picking them out of about 40-50 per visit. :)

Anyone have any ideas how I can create a more random flow in my tank without dropping hundreds on a mp or tunze? I currently have 2 return lines coming in 1/2 threaded bulkheads and 1 hydor nano but it doesn't create any alternating flow just a strong currents around the tank.

Archived