Pod Your Reef

justin81's 60 Gallon Cube Build

justin81

Long story short I had 5 different saltwater tanks from 2002-2009. None of the big tanks I had were ever set up correctly as far as hardware and were always a pain in the ass. My Aquapod was descent but even then it was not what I wanted. In 2009 I gave up completely and got out of the hobby.

I got the reef tank bug again and was able to barter for a 60 gallon cube setup. I'll be updating here with pictures more for myself, if you'd like to tag along and give opinions or advice I welcome you to do so. The plan for this tank to be SPS dominant tank with lots of LPS.

Fish will be limited and I'm not really sure what I will put in. My wife wants clown fish again, and I really miss my yellow corris wrass so those will probably make it in eventually. I will update as they come in and the tank progresses.

This process is going to take a while since I am 100% dedicated to being patient and doing everything right the first time. In the past i have gotten in a big hurry and ended up fighting algae and all kinds of other issues due to my mistakes. This tank will be epic.

This #1 post will be updated with system info and newest front tank shot as they change.

SYSTEM SPECS - Updated 6/2/13

Tank
24x24x24 Marineand 60 gallon Cube
Drilled for Glass-Holes 700gph Overflow
Drilled for Glass-Holes Loc-Line Return Kit
Marineland 24" Black Stand

Lighting
ATI 6x24 Sunpower T5 Fixture
Front to Back - B+, P+, B+, AB+, B+, B+ (going for blue look, maybe add another P+)

Filtration
10 Gallon 3 Stage DIY Sump (Drain and Skimmer, bubble catch, return)
iTech 100 Cone Skimmer w/ Tunze Hydrofoamer
Eheim +3000 Return Pump

FRONT TANK SHOT - Updated 6/2/13

IMG_1920.jpg

6/2/13

I set up the tank, stand, lighting and sump. I filled with tap water to check for leaks and to make sure very was running correctly. The return pump is opened up 100% for now, I'll adjust when everything else is in the tank. I have a big order out to Bulk Reef Supply that should be here on 6/5/13 that will have some more parts to the system.

Good news - No leaks!!!!

Bad news - Sump is too small. I'm not sure if the overflow box was drilled too low in the display or if the sump is just too small. When the return pump is shut off the sump literally fills to the brim. It's kind of hard to see in the picture but it is right up to the top. So now I have to decide on either building a taller sump or having a custom acrylic sump built here locally in DFW. I hear 29gallon fits well in 24" stands so I may go that route and cut my own glass. Either way I think a new sump is in order. The plan is to have a 4 stage sump (Drain and Skimmer area, Refugium area, Bubble Trap, Return Area) or if I have a custom acrylic sump built I will have all 4 stages and a ATO area included.

I'll update Wednesday when all my goodies from BRS arrive!!

First pictures of everything set up.

IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

IMG_1919.jpg

Sump quite close to spilling over. Still not sure if I can make some adjustments to make this work for a while or if I will need to just make a new one.

IMG_1923.jpg

6/4/13

After some messing around I got the sump issue fixed. Water level is now stable at 3/4 in the sump when the drain pump shuts off so I'm in good shape. I'll still have a custom sump built in the future though. I'd like to have my ATO reservoir built into the sump for easy access and to keep everything nice and clean looking. I don't want anything outside of the cabinet feeding the tank.

Tomorrow is going to be a big day as my BRS order is delivered. Shipping says 3 packages at combined total weight of 150lbs!!!

6/5/13

I got an unexpected surprise when my BSR order was delivered a day early!! I got everything unboxed and started hooking up what I could as I wasn't exactly ready. I thought I would have all day Tuesday to get everything ready so it was a mad scramble to get all of my stuff together for curing the rock and setting up the system.

BRS Order:
(2) Vortech MP10 ES
(1) Red Sea Coral Pro 175 Bucket of Salt
(1) 10lb Bag of Live Sand
(1) 300watt Hydor Heater
(1) Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Lite
(1) BSR 4 Stage RO/DI Unit
(1) 45lb Pukani Dry Rock
(1) Misc Junk Needed

So having all of this stuff laying in the living room floor I decided it was time for some Coronas and Shiners and setting some of this stuff up. The RO/DI unit was put to the side as I do not have the "Y" piece to connect it in my laundry room yet. I will be installing it this weekend. I also set the MP10s aside for later installation. I want to find the best mounting point possible for these inside of my stand.

I connected a longer PVC line into the sump to cut down on noise and installed my sump filter sock to start with. Then I moved on to mounting a power strip and the Reefkeeper Lite into the inside of the stand. Right now it is a rats nest of wires but I'm going to rewire everything nicely this weekend. I installed the heater and fan for the sump and began programming the Reefkeeper. I downloaded MyReef 2.0 from the Digital Aquatics website and started playing with it. It took me a while to get everything working but found a great "how to" here on nano-reef. Here is the link, so a big thank you to biolaod RKL+myreef 2 for Dummies for anyone having issues setting theirs up. I would have been scratching my head for hours trying to get everything to communicate. I set up the lights and it was time for bed. When I get home from work today I'll start on some more stuff.

I just realized every picture I have taken have been blue LOL. I will try and take more pictures away from the tank lighting.

2013-06-04180547.jpg

BRS Dry Pukani - I was really wanting to try this rock due to all of my other tanks being set up with Fiji LR. I went the dry route to ensure there were no bad guys hitchhiking on the rock. I've had issues before dealing with this. The dry rock will let me start fresh 100% clean. Only downside is the phos leaching that has been noted with the rock, but we'll get into that later. I'll be doing a full write up on what I am going to do with the rock to get it display tank ready.

A few of the rocks were HUGE!!!! 18-20" in diameter at some points. I'm not sure if I'm going to cut it down or not. I'll try to aquascape with them and if it doesn't work I'll break out the chisel and hammer.

I have the rock in a giant tote. I can't remember where I got this tote but it's been in the backyard for some time now. I washed it out only to find there was a hole in the bottom of it. I busted out the duct tape and was actually able to stop the leak..... well for now anyways.

2013-06-04171917.jpg

2013-06-04171928.jpg

Freshwater soak with a Maxijet 1200. The fun with the rock will probably start this afternoon.

2013-06-05061802.jpg

6/9/13

Over the weekend I got some stuff done on the tank. I got the RO/DI unit installed and started mixing some salt water for the rock curing.

Rock went through bleach treatment, muriatic acid bath and then rinsed. It's now in a 45gal tub curing with a heater and MJ1200. Of course I forgot a Phos test kit while at the LFS yesterday so I'll wait on dosing the Phos free until I can actually test it. The wife really wants the rock in the display ASAP but I don't want to take any chances leaching that kind of phos into the system.

photo4-2.jpg

photo3-6.jpg

6/9/13

Drained the freshwater out of the tank and filled with RO/DI saltwater at 1.026 and added sand and a piece of cured LR. Just waiting on the pukani to cycle. I'll be testing phos levels today to see where we are at.

I've also been reading about bio-pellets vs running GFO. Anybody have any input on that?

6/17/13

Big update since I've been slacking, but everything is set up. The rock dissipated of phos very fast. I tried 3 different 100% water changes to see if it would leach and phos and all tests came back .02 and under. I can live with that.

I added 10lbs of live sand and 5lbs of live rock to the display to seed the dead pukani and yardright sand I had. I don't think this sand is the best for SPS substrate, but I've had it laying around for years so I used it.

I also decided to try something I have never tried before and that was use DrTim's one and only. I had a local reefer tell me about his experience using it so I thought why not give it a try. I followed the instructions adding the amount needed and then imediately added a pair of false percs (wife picked them) and to my surprise after 3 days the tank cycled. The stuff actually worked. I saw a small spike in ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate just like normal and then it was done.

I won a frag of Kryptonite candy cane, and purchased a feather duster. I aslo got a yellow tailed damsel (wife picked again) so kind of moving quicker than I had planned, but the DrTIm's seems to be great. I've been testing the water every two days and everything looks great! I don't plan on adding anything else to the tank for a few weeks. I've also told my wife she is not picking anymore fish. The deal was she could pick 3 fish if she let me set up the tank and so far I don't like any of her picks lol. I will slowly start adding SPS and other fish slowly.

Hardware is changing a little as well. I picked up 2 more PC4 modules for my ReefKeeper and a SL1 module. I'm going to run all of my equipment on the ReefKeeper now and run PH probe and my ATO off of the SL1 module. So far I'm really digging this ReefKeeper.

BRS order going out next week to complete my ATO, automated 2 part dosing, carbon and GFO reactor. After all that is set up I should be in good shape after a few months to start adding SPS.

Here is a super crappy picture taken with my ipad. I'll get out the DSLR this weekend and take some legit pics.

photo5-1.jpg

Archived