Cultivated Reef

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

So I got my potassium test kit and the results are in! Well, sorta kinda, uh, not really. The level should be somewhere around 500-550ppm after the large dose I put in on Saturday, and this test kit only goes up to 470ppm. So I tried to cut it in half with RO/DI to lower the concentration and see if I could get the kit to still read. Well, The first reagent went well, water was still clear. Reagent two, not so much. I'm not 100% sure what it precipitates out, but it made the water into milk, and I'm assuming that since the directions don't mention that happening that it's not supposed to. So. Not sure what to do at this point. I am not sure if I can get anywhere by emailing Salifert, but I'm gonna give it a shot, see what their reagents are actually doing and what they're precipitating and adjust the dose accordingly.

And I posted to Justin Credabel asking what test kit he recommends.

jedimasterben

They're going to start trickling out in the next few weeks. CoralVue has been hammered by orders all over the world. :o

You'll want the '35w' model, though. That is due January.

Ok...so if I wanted one for my frag tank...I should try to jump on a pre order?

I'm even contemplating one for the Cadlights tank. Do you have any sps in your tank?? Has PE increased or do they look happier?

jedimasterben

Ok...so if I wanted one for my frag tank... I should try to jump on a pre order?

If your frag tank is 8' long and several feet wide, then yes, as the preorder is only for the 50w model. Otherwise you'll want the 35w model, otherwise it'll be a waste of a pump running it so low lol.

I'm even contemplating one for the Cadlights tank. Do you have any sps in your tank?? Has PE increased or do they look happier?

lol

These pretty much prevent me from having nice things.

IMG_9568.jpg

You really think the Dino's kill everything you put in the tank???

I know they are a real pita, but I've seen tanks rebound from Dino's. I've seen really nice sps tanks fight long Dino battles and come back. While they are never truly gone, the tanks continue to do well.

jedimasterben

You really think the Dino's kill everything you put in the tank??? I know they are a real pita, but I've seen tanks rebound from Dino's. I've seen really nice sps tanks fight long Dino battles and come back. While they are never truly gone, the tanks continue to do well.

What species did they have? What you see in the picture above isn't the most common of the 'bad' species in aquaria, but it is far and above the most toxic, with palytoxin being the most prevalent (but I've also read ciguatoxin [aka what makes 'red tide' so dangerous] is produced, as well) that they make.

I'm sure you've seen palys fight it out with what is next to them, and they usually win. Now imagine that forming mats and smothering everything that it can, on top of producing those toxins.

That I couldn't tell you!!

These are just threads I've bumped into and read in the last couple years. I know there is a thread on one of the forums all about Dino's! I'm sure you are aware of it and prob participate in it. In that thread I've seen a couple success stories.

Whatever u have does seem to be a super mutant freak of Dino's! I would have torn my tank down if I was in your shoes. Kudos for not giving up.

I like the way you think B)

But I still have an MP40 and a mostly-made light to sell still, and then my already-made light to sell once I get the new one made that I probably won't be able to sell, either. Only $1400 or so that'll be chillin' in the closet lol

I got a 100 on that 40 :).
jedimasterben

That I couldn't tell you!!

These are just threads I've bumped into and read in the last couple years. I know there is a thread on one of the forums all about Dino's! I'm sure you are aware of it and prob participate in it. In that thread I've seen a couple success stories.

Whatever u have does seem to be a super mutant freak of Dino's! I would have torn my tank down if I was in your shoes. Kudos for not giving up.

Sorry if I got a bit snarky there, blood sugar is low, grabbed a spoon of peanut butter :)

yeah, this particular species is insanely difficult to deal with. My last stand will be the 110w of UV that I'll be adding in the next month-ish. Gotta pay Dave for the new ATI retro first :lol:

I got a 100 on that 40 :).

Do you really want it? lol

Sorry if I got a bit snarky there, blood sugar is low, grabbed a spoon of peanut butter :)

yeah, this particular species is insanely difficult to deal with. My last stand will be the 110w of UV that I'll be adding in the next month-ish. Gotta pay Dave for the new ATI retro first :lol:

I am looking for one :) shoot me a PM.

It's all good. I wasnt questioning your practices or anything like that.

I would imagine its always in the back of your head. I wouldn't want to add a ton of expensive coral either.

Good luck with the UV Sterilizer. It worked wonders when I had my dino problems. I didn't bust out the microscope, so I don't know what species I had, but the UV really knocked 'em out. That... and the poor sacrificial diamond goby I dropped in who had a taste for the stuff. He dislodged all of it (read: he ate all the dinos that were on the sand and rocks), and then promptly died. To me... he died a hero.

Benny

You seen that new eshopps fuge light?? Is it worth the $80????

I like that it's blue and matches my skimmer...lol...I know it's silly, but I'm all about dumb stuff like that. Would that light a 10x14 fuge??

Let me know next time you want to make solutions, I have recipes for potassium. And I am a chemist by trade...

spill the beans!

Benny, you snarky? naaaaaawww. :rolleyes:

IMHO it's not worth it if you want it to actually perform :)

That would be good for about a 6x6 area.

Is there anything in the market around 50-100 that would light that space well?? The cheaper the better!

:lol:

http://coralcompulsion.com/led/PAR-BULBS/led-21w-REF-GRO]http://coralcompulsion.com/led/PAR-BULBS/led-21w-REF-GRO[/url]

Or you could just grab an aluminum reflector and a strong warm white CFL and it'll also do the job much cheaper.

Thanks. Ive seen stuff like that coral compulsion light on Amazon for like $20.

Wonder if it's all the same ish. I would def do something like a cfl, but I want it to look pretty. Didn't anyone tell you???...it works way better if its all hip and cool! Form > function.....lol

Thanks. Ive seen stuff like that coral compulsion light on Amazon for like $20.

Wonder if it's all the same ish. I would def do something like a cfl, but I want it to look pretty. Didn't anyone tell you???...it works way better if its all hip and cool! Form > function.....lol

Benny will kill me but look into ecoxotic panorama pro.

not sure if you've given it a try you probably have as you are obviously quite knowledgeable on the subject at this point but have you tried all actinic lighting for the dinos problem or is that something only less resilient strains respond to?

jedimasterben

Benny will kill me but look into ecoxotic panorama pro.

If you want stuff with very little output and a high failure rate, sure.

not sure if you've given it a try you probably have as you are obviously quite knowledgeable on the subject at this point but have you tried all actinic lighting for the dinos problem or is that something only less resilient strains respond to?

That doesn't actually work. Light is light and they'll use anything to photosynthesize, but at any rate they are mixotrophic, so they don't rely on light.

Archived