Pod Your Reef

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

I posted this video earlier to the private Maxspect Gyre tester group, but Chris Conti of Coralvue decided to share it on the Maxspect Facebook page, so now that it's public, I present to you the Maxspect Gyre 50w. :)

btw, in that video, the two MP40 are in Reef Crest mode synced at 60%, the Gyre is at 20% in constant mode. :)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted this video earlier to the private Maxspect Gyre tester group, but Chris Conti of Coralvue decided to share it on the Maxspect Facebook page, so now that it's public, I present to you the Maxspect Gyre 50w. :)

btw, in that video, the two MP40 are in Reef Crest mode synced at 60%, the Gyre is at 20% in constant mode. :)

ya, I am pissed I am going to have to wait for a smaller version now.

I remember reading surface agitation has an affect on par, if so it'd be interesting to compare readings from the 2 mp40 to the gyre since that thing makes your surface look violent lol

I remember reading surface agitation has an affect on par, if so it'd be interesting to compare readings from the 2 mp40 to the gyre since that thing makes your surface look violent lol

Surface agitation can increase and decrease PAR by 25% several times per second, so it is a wash. ;)

I would like to see a video with one MP40 as near the top of the tank as you can get it without sucking air, full speed.

The gyre certainly has good movement up top and down below but I'm not so sure a strong linear flow is going to be very beneficial. Can you slap two of these on a controller? Regardless, this is so going on the back of my 150 when it comes out. Maybe two, one on either side of the back, which should eliminate any dead spots back there.

I would like to see a video with one MP40 as near the top of the tank as you can get it without sucking air, full speed.

That can't really happen. An MP40 will still pull air from the bottom of my tank at 100%, despite having the top two slits blocked on the stock pump. At 100%, it's not much different than in the video, just a little more velocity. Even at 100%, the two Vortech pumps still do not come close to the Gyre even at 20%.

The gyre certainly has good movement up top and down below but I'm not so sure a strong linear flow is going to be very beneficial. Can you slap two of these on a controller? Regardless, this is so going on the back of my 150 when it comes out. Maybe two, one on either side of the back, which should eliminate any dead spots back there.

What would make the enormous amount of flow not beneficial? The point of gyre flow is to get the entire water column in motion. This creates an incredibly high energy, low velocity flow, and every molecule of water is moving.

I can't speak of a controller at this point, none of that is really public, other than I have control over speed for now.

that's badass.. may have to get one of these (smaller one) and sell my mp10s..

The smaller one won't be much smaller lol, but you'll be able to turn it down thank god.

I need a nano version. Ben you know these people... Make it happen oh Jedi master!

Yeah, they'll listen to me for sure :rolleyes:

What would make the enormous amount of flow not beneficial? The point of gyre flow is to get the entire water column in motion. This creates an incredibly high energy, low velocity flow, and every molecule of water is moving.

Linear single direction flow is generally not beneficial in the long term. Most sticks need strong multi-directional flow. The controller is going to be the key IMO. If you can ramp up and down and have another pump on the opposite side do the same then it's perfect, though I still prefer my motors out of the water.

Linear single direction flow is generally not beneficial in the long term. Most sticks need strong multi-directional flow. The controller is going to be the key IMO. If you can ramp up and down and have another pump on the opposite side do the same then it's perfect, though I still prefer my motors out of the water.

Multi-directional flow? There is only a small part of some reefs that receive that in the wild. The rest receive laminar flow for a few hours, then it switches directions as the tides change.

If you want random flow, that is what happens when laminar flow meets an obstacle. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature

In order to maximize the output of water flow equipment, aquarists should design water movement systems so that all the components work together to minimize resistance and move the entire water mass of the aquarium. The best way to combine the energy of moving water to produce maximum water motion for an aquarium is to encourage the formation of a circular course of water movement called a gyre. Like the wheel, a gyre takes advantage of feedback mechanisms which preserve momentum by minimizing resistance. An aquarium gyre somewhat resembles a conveyor belt of water movement and it is characterized by mostly laminar, unidirectional flow. By alternating the rotation of the gyre from one side to the other, it is possible to evenly distribute turbulence on all sides of corals and therefore increase photosynthesis and respiration.

Having multiple pumps aiming in the same direction (and having the flow 'fight it out') is counter-intuitive to increasing flow.

Not only can mass water movement techniques help aquarists produce higher water flow speeds in the aquarium but it can also encourage more water movement through the interstices of live rock and corals with open growth forms. Normally an aquarist might target one or more plumes of water movement at corals which require fast water flow speeds. In this scenario, the turbulent water flow plume encounters a lot of friction on its way to the desired location of the reef aquarium: it will experience resistance from the still water around it, it will experience drag from the shape of the corals it encounters and the turbulent nature of the water flow plume will do little to preserve the momentum of the water movement. In a scenario with the employment of mass water movement, the behavior of the fluid will be much different. The plume of water motion from the same source will encounter less resistance from the water around it since both parcels of water are moving in the same direction. The decreased resistance will straighten out the flow and preserve more momentum. Not only will the water be moving faster once it reaches a coral, since water is moving away from the coral on the downstream end, water will be forced through the normally stagnant water which is present at the interior of corals with open growth forms.

Multi-directional flow? There is only a small part of some reefs that receive that in the wild. The rest receive laminar flow for a few hours, then it switches directions as the tides change.

Lol, laminar that switches directions is ...... :P So let me say bi directional. I run my twin MP40's in purple mode, whatever the hell they call it, with the pumps on opposite sync. Left pump will slowly ramp up to full speed for 15 minutes, then ramp down as the other ramps up. I've also done long pulse to simulate the same effect without any calm periods. The gyre is cool because it may be able to move water near the surface faster than a standard pump, but I'm still not sold on it's unique ability to make a gyre any better than other pumps with the appropriate controller. Lies, actually I am sold on that point. I see my food quickly making it across the middle of my 150 and then up or down and back to the other side.

A single Gyre won't be able to create the bi-directional flow. I assume it can't be reversed without splashing water out the top of the tank. So to get the full benefit I would think 2 pumps at a minimum are required, especially because you are creating a superior gyre by moving water rapidly across the top of the tank and circling down and back across the bottom. With a standard pump located near the middle of the tank wall you get a much less efficient gyre, if you get one at all, with a lot more turbulence and random flow.

That said, are there any guidelines for mounting this in locations other than near the top of the tank?

Mr. Microscope

W'oh! Cool video. The coral snow really showed the gyre action. Congrats on beta testing Ben! I love the movement you're getting from that nem.

Lol, laminar that switches directions is ...... :P So let me say bi directional. I run my twin MP40's in purple mode, whatever the hell they call it, with the pumps on opposite sync. Left pump will slowly ramp up to full speed for 15 minutes, then ramp down as the other ramps up. I've also done long pulse to simulate the same effect without any calm periods. The gyre is cool because it may be able to move water near the surface faster than a standard pump, but I'm still not sold on it's unique ability to make a gyre any better than other pumps with the appropriate controller. Lies, actually I am sold on that point. I see my food quickly making it across the middle of my 150 and then up or down and back to the other side.

A single Gyre won't be able to create the bi-directional flow. I assume it can't be reversed without splashing water out the top of the tank. So to get the full benefit I would think 2 pumps at a minimum are required, especially because you are creating a superior gyre by moving water rapidly across the top of the tank and circling down and back across the bottom. With a standard pump located near the middle of the tank wall you get a much less efficient gyre, if you get one at all, with a lot more turbulence and random flow.

That said, are there any guidelines for mounting this in locations other than near the top of the tank?

According to Maxspect, the Gyre was originally going to have two outputs and be able to switch flow directions. With the squirrel-cage impeller, though, this is simply not possible and would need a significant redesign to be doable (but this may still be in the works, there is a lot that Maxspect isn't saying yet). You would need two pumps to full switch directions every few hours.

You can put it pretty much anywhere, but the top of the water column is best since it will be pretty much unimpeded in going across the tank :)

W'oh! Cool video. The coral snow really showed the gyre action. Congrats on beta testing Ben! I love the movement you're getting from that nem.

Thanks! Was also my first time using Adobe Premiere, that program has a STEEP learning curve, but I've got the basics now :)

Have you posted a video with only the Gyre running? The video, while nice, shows a ton of turbulent motion due to the 2 40s, and they are pulsing at a much higher force than the gyres constant. If you did the snow test again with just the 40s at 70-80% I don't think you'd see much difference in the dispersion. But the Gyre running all by itself would create an entirely different flow.

Have you posted a video with only the Gyre running? The video, while nice, shows a ton of turbulent motion due to the 2 40s, and they are pulsing at a much higher force than the gyres constant. If you did the snow test again with just the 40s at 70-80% I don't think you'd see much difference in the dispersion. But the Gyre running all by itself would create an entirely different flow.

The video already shows that. Only the Gyre or the MP40s are powered in the video, neither are on at the same time.

The video already shows that. Only the Gyre or the MP40s are powered in the video, neither are on at the same time.

Got it, I just hit play and read that part below the video explaining how fast each was running and was thinking you were running both at the same time. Apologies

Got it, I just hit play and read that part below the video explaining how fast each was running and was thinking you were running both at the same time. Apologies

No worries, I'm seeing now that I didn't explain it at all lol

NirvanaandTool

That's only at 20%? Dear god these things are powerful. I wonder if a 35W would be better for the 100G and under group of tanks. No sense buying a 50W if you can only turn it up a 1/4 of the way.

It was really cool to see the whole water column moving though. Your fish don't seem to mind the increased flow but I wonder how a perching fish (blenny, hawk, lion, etc) would be in it.

Archived