Cultivated Reef

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

NorthGaHillbilly

I just got home a bit ago and was feeding the tank - I REALIZED THAT MY STARCKI DAMSEL WAS GONE! WTF

Well, that makes over 50% of the Blue Zoo order gone. Yay.

woah, any clue whats going on?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

woah, any clue whats going on?

No idea. I know that damsels are treated poorly during collection and transport, but I figured the Starcki was ok since it was out and about and eating with gusto. Didn't appear to have any external conditioned, its poop was a cloud so no real sign of internal problems. :/
jedimasterben

So I'm almost out of KZ Coral Snow. Aquariumspecialty is having a sale on KZ stuff, so I was going to get another 250mL bottle of it since it's $24, regular $40. Shipping is $15, bringing the total back up to $39. Nah.

Happy Birthday.

Why is everyone insisting on knowing the gender of their kids? We liked the surprise for the first one, checked on the second one.

jedimasterben

:lol:

Maybe for my birfday someone can tell me of something that will get this damned gelbstoff out of my tank, tired of it looking green from the sides! :D

Why is everyone insisting on knowing the gender of their kids? We liked the surprise for the first one, checked on the second one.

I dunno, seemed like the right thing to do so we were more prepared for her :)

jedimasterben

Ben check this crazy build out a dude just made for his DT

Par monster?

E8B09236-0B28-4A62-B866-81941DF5FCDF_zps

No, just someone that has absolutely no clue what they're doing lol.

Happy bday.

And don't worry, my entire blue zoo order of 15 fish minus my melanarus wrasse and the smallest weakest looking dispar anthia died over the period of about a month. All fish were eating well except the chromis. Chromis all died in one night then one by one the rest died. I'm thinking some sort of disease but my melanarus and one anthia were unharmed.

jedimasterben

Blue Zoo gets one more shot. Two C. starcki, two C. talboti, two C. retrofasciatus, two C. margaritifer, one C. hemicyanea, and a kole tang since I needed something to fill in the free shipping. Blue zoo gave me a credit for $30 of the fish I lost (total around $90 now) but they give credits as coupon codes that dont apply towards free shipping at $140. Bastards lol.

Hopefully second time is the charm.

Paleoreef103

Ben check this crazy build out a dude just made for his DT

Par monster?

E8B09236-0B28-4A62-B866-81941DF5FCDF_zps

There is so much fail on that light. I don't see individual reflectors, the light quality is going to be awful with that bulb selection, the replacement cost is going to be, what? $600 every six to 12 months? Also, happy birthday and good luck with your new order.

Steensj2004

Hey Ben, happy late B-day!

Quick Question, I am having a heck of a time with this Gyre, I either beat stuff to death or it seems like there isn't nearly enough flow? What mode are you running just out of pure morbid curiosity. thanks!

jedimasterben

There is so much fail on that light. I don't see individual reflectors, the light quality is going to be awful with that bulb selection, the replacement cost is going to be, what? $600 every six to 12 months? Also, happy birthday and good luck with your new order.

Actually it's more like $700. Or if they wait for the yearly ATI sale, it's only around $550ish. They also don't seem to understand what 'moonlight' is or why it's a bad idea to use 48 LEDs for it.

I can't think of anything epic about that light lol.

Hey Ben, happy late B-day!

Quick Question, I am having a heck of a time with this Gyre, I either beat stuff to death or it seems like there isn't nearly enough flow? What mode are you running just out of pure morbid curiosity. thanks!

My 150 is set to 6/10 forward, and the 130 is set to 10/10 forward, the two alternate every four hours.

You can try pulse mode and see if that helps any.

Paleoreef103

I can't think of anything epic about that light lol.

Its energy consumption and bulb replacement cost! :P

A belated Happy Birthday, Ben.

What bad luck with the fish from Blue Zoo! Hopefully, the next order will fare better!

jedimasterben

Interesting. They're expensive, but 24v input and 86v output for 700mA at 95% efficiency is pretty good lol. They are over four times the size of LDD, though, so unless you need the lower input voltage or the slightly wider output voltage, I'd probably stick with LDD for now.

happy belated dude!

Archived