Top Shelf Aquatics

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

HOORAY! :happydance::grouphug:

*dance party*

thats awesome man, really excited for yall.

The gender announcement photo:

IMG_1667.jpg

And then we got a little silly.

IMG_1668.jpg

balloon-bash.gif

:)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NorthGaHillbilly

*dance party*

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

balloon-bash.gif

Get a haircut hippie :haha:

jedimasterben

Congrats, Ben!

Thanks!

You guys are such a cute, sweet couple. I am so happy for both of you!

Thank you :flower:

I actually added your name to the list... got shot down lol.

Congrats! You'll have to start looking for pink corals and fishes for the tank in her room.

:lol:

I actually added your name to the list... got shot down lol.

Well, although I love my name (family name) it is difficult to have such an unusual name. I always have to spell it and I am always asked to pronounce it. It is a great conversation starter though!

For anyone who is interested more about Hersilia the Roman goddess of courage:

My name is a variation of the ancient name Hersilia from the Sabine civilization. Romulus, the founder of Rome, was married to Hersilia. She was instrumental in arranging peace between the Sabines and Romans. She became a Roman deity for courage.

i-6Cb6h9j-M.jpg

buckeyereefer

congrats on the baby girl !!! B) .....wish I had a little daughter also. when the ex an I were adopting our son she let me choose boy/girl it was SOOOOO much harder decision then I imagined. :blink:

llama roadkill

*dance party*

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

balloon-bash.gif

This is a total shock. I thought you were a muppet.

jedimasterben

congrats on the baby girl !!! B) .....wish I had a little daughter also. when the ex an I were adopting our son she let me choose boy/girl it was SOOOOO much harder decision then I imagined. :blink:

Thanks! We both were ok with either way it could have gone, but I think I'm glad it's a girl. I say that know, let's see if that stays the same when she's a teenager lol

Awesome, congrats man. :)

Thanks! :D

WHOOP WHOOP!

*dance party*

Yay..congrats :happydance:. I'm telling ya Ben..back when I thought you already had kids I thought it was like 3 girls and one boy ;).

LOL, I forgot about that. Well, technically now I'll have three girls and a boy if you count the cats!!

Congratulations!

Girls are wonderful…. always Daddy's princess :wub: They save the drama for mamma… :wacko:

So you're naming her Kat, right? :happy:

slap (i'm at the emoticon limit or it would be slappy slappy)

So you guys remember how I used to have a lot of issues with this Reef Octopus skimmer overflowing? Well, I know it's because the pump is way too strong for this skimmer body, there just isn't much around it. I tried fixing it by adjusting the body height, adjusting the air intake, adding a neck extension, nothing really worked. After overflowing for a few days of use, it calms down enough to skim pretty decently, but not nearly enough for a setup that, new, would be around $400-500.

So yesterday, my power went out for around two hours or so. This was just long enough for the neck to dry and to dump around 2.5 weeks of nasty skimmate back into the tank (yes, 2.5 weeks, it was skimming VERY dry for the first time ever) once it turned back on and immediately started overflowing. The tank was ULTRA cloudy but luckily nothing was fazed at all by it. Surprising, but still frustrating that it happened yet again.

Today, though, I remembered - skimmer pumps are still just magnetically-driven pumps, just like return pumps. Just add a valve to the output. So, I did that. I valved it down to about half, removed the neck extension, and now I can actually adjust the skimmer using the gate valve on the skimmer output! Holy crap! No more overflowing, and I'll be able to tune it to exactly what I want! Huzzah!

Also, unfortunately the copperband disappeared. It did its job dutifully, though, and corals that were being smothered by feather dusters are now open and beautiful. He will not be forgotten.

I think I'm glad it's a girl. I say that know, let's see if that stays the same when she's a teenager lol

:lol: Girls are cool man. My "little" girl just turned 13, sometimes she gets mad at me and I ask her why and she doesn't even know. Teenage hormones are hilarious. :lol:
jedimasterben

Well, after one week too long of being in the sump and not really getting fed like it was in the display (and needed to be), the trigger bit the dust. Was hoping to be able to trade it in for a good amount of credit, but oh well, at least I didn't pay anywhere near 'normal' price for it. The copperband also died earlier this week. I assume the same kinda scenario. I always saw it picking at the rocks with gusto after I fed each time and just assumed that it was taking food from in nooks and crannies, but maybe it was not. It was not skinny when I pulled it out and examined it.

I did get another purple tilefish today. Last try with this fish before I cross it off my list, if this one manages to jump.... :angry:

jedimasterben

Changed the gyres from switching every two hours to every four hours. This should decrease the amount of splashing I get when both are on.

buckeyereefer

it will not decrease the amount of splashing when both are on ONLY the amount of times in 24 hrs you have the splashing !! :slap:

jedimasterben

it will not decrease the amount of splashing when both are on ONLY the amount of times in 24 hrs you have the splashing !! :slap:

Thats what I meant, lol, the total amount of splashing :)
jedimasterben

I just got home a bit ago and was feeding the tank - I REALIZED THAT MY STARCKI DAMSEL WAS GONE! WTF

Well, that makes over 50% of the Blue Zoo order gone. Yay.

Archived