SaltCritters.com

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

I'm still running WHS (the older version!). Probably one of the best products Microsoft ever built until they stopped supporting it. I was thinking about taking the plunge into 2012 over the holiday break but like you said it's gonna be a steep learning curve.

I played around with it some more last night. If you're setting it up only to function like WHS did, then there really isn't a lot to it! Hardest part was figuring out how to enable remote desktop and looking at the file shares, but that was as simple as enabling 'Computer Browser' service. Then it just takes some getting used to finding where different settings and things live, and loading all your drivers and such. I definitely was making it seem a lot harder than it really was!

Oh, and I've got some of those Samsung drives too. I've got two that are still hanging on :scarry:

I'm honestly surprised that it gave up the ghost, but nothing good seems to last forever :(

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

called the LFS, the betta still hasn't eaten anything, so no need to take a trip over there yet. Still will probably just order one from UC.

Or they could be sold out of them, I guess that works too :/

jedimasterben

What would have happened if Benny's secret santa had sent a framed Kate Upton photo. Is the wife gonna kill their internets?

This would be fantastic and it would go right up on the wall :D

So I updated lawnman's thread with what's going on in the world of benny but not my own thread lol.

Been wrapping up my wife's presents, I always do it on Christmas Eve to make her think twice that I even got her anything :lol: This year I got her a charm bracelet and a shitload of charms for it. Each charm is in a little 4x3x1 box, so I put them in the most odd things I could. One is in the giant box, one is in a cutout in a sheet of styrofoam, two of them I took out and put inside a 500mL beaker and a 30mL test tube lol. She's gonna be like wtf.

IMG_20141224_153835091.jpg

I also got my skimmer in today, got a good deal on an SCA-303. I don't need a lot of skimming, and this fits the bill exactly. The Reef Octopus just wouldn't be stable, overflowed constantly. Had a stable foam head in three minutes.

IMG_20141224_162517892.jpg

Before I left to go to my parents' house for dinner (ribeye roast, awwwwwww yeahhhhh) it had nearly an inch of THICK dark skimmate.

I also just finished watching 'The Interview'. ####ing awesome.

What's this starboard that everyone is using?

My sand has been total crap thinking about just going BB to spare myself of constantly siphoning and replacing sand.

jedimasterben

What's this starboard that everyone is using?

My sand has been total crap thinking about just going BB to spare myself of constantly siphoning and replacing sand.

It's a sheet (in my case two) of HDPE, aka cutting board. :)

IMG_9648.jpg

IMG_9654.jpg

IMG_9655.jpg

Unfortunately there is no easy way to keep it looking clean. It will be covered in coralline or other algae in short order.

IMG_9786.jpg

True, but I still couldn't get great shots of anything in the tank that is in the back half lol. I also bought a set of extension tubes, let's me get some pretty damned good macro shots. The 12mm focal distance goes down to ~4-6", with the 35mm it brings it down to around 1/2" :o

I think this pic has just the 12mm extension installed, using the kit lens at 55mm.

IMG_7662.jpg

Aw yiss. Macro shots.

jedimasterben

So the plan was to go tomorrow and get some kind of fishies, but looks like my mother-in-law is coming to town (she lives in Kentucky) so that may not happen. I might just go in the morning so I can be back early afternoon since she won't get here until the evening.

For now, I will leave you with this.

jedimasterben

Tank is looking great. Also Too Many Cooks is hilarious! Just out of curiosity, what are you using your Windows server for?

Just file hosting, I have a few TB of videos (my movie collection) and I use it for backups from my desktop and my wife's laptop.

jedimasterben

I want another fishy.....but keep telling myself patience

Screw patience lol. Oh, and I forgot to mention the trigger is now eating pellets! Its still not completely sure about them, the first one it eats it always takes in and spits out two or three times before leaving it in. I am thinking of getting some larger pellets, the ones I use now are 1mm NLS Finicky Fish Formula, he may want some that are larger, so that will come in the future as they get a bit bigger.

jedimasterben

I have terrible luck with pearlies, I just can't find any that are healthy. Haven't tried KPA for them yet, but have heard fairly good things.

jedimasterben

Got a potter's angel, sixline wrasse, and chalk basslet today. The tang is NOT happy about the angel, he's been flaring up and swiping at it ever since I put it into the tank. :angry:

Archived