ReefCleaners.org

Gentlemen Prefer Cubes

gena

I've never had one. I imagine they are similar in care to the plate corals which I have experience with. Speaking of which, they've been pissy lately :(. And the orange is starting to recede at the mouth...WTH. I guess I'm having LPS issues.....whatever <_<. At least with plates, even after they die, little babies can form on them. I'll just leave the skeleton(s) in the tank, if it comes to that.

Speaking of death...the urchin died. No surprise there. I know that was a salinity issue. The tank I bought him from had low salinity. I checked it when I got home before my acclimation. It was at 1.018. I guarantee it wasn't acclimated at the LFS. So that's that. He was a slug from the get-go....poor thing. And in other death news I found one of my harlequin stars was half eaten on it's main body. Found it today. It probably died and was munched on. But what caused it to die? Reefing sucks sometimes :mellow:.

In happier news, she's at it again and the fish are loving it :happy:

IMG_8655_zpseb84621f.jpg

IMG_8662_zps0638a8e2.jpg

And expensive too. Amazing to realize how much I have spent to date and yet I have barely started.

I noticed one of my small acan colonies has lost a polyp and another may be receding too. That corner was touching the sand though. Sorry about your losses. Hard when we take such ownership of of our livestock.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh no Gena, sorry to hear about this. The inverts create such interest.

Speaking of Halloween, I'm going to a Halloween party on this Sat too. It's 80s themed. I chose Pat Benatar. This pic specifically (which while an icon in the 80s too of course, I don't know if the pic was 1978-9 or what). My mom just finished sewing me the top!. Red belt from Amazon tomorrow or the next day. I'm going to get a picture done just like that. Maybe I can do a side by side and get a pic to Pat herself.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/images2_zps01ca3a34.jpg.html'>images2_zps01ca3a34.jpg

Because of the bleaching event in that area, they have very few right now. You'll have to wait longer for nems. He said they didn't anticipate the stock they'd need this summer, totally unexpected so I guess w/ me and Gena and others talking them up, they didn't have as many on hand as they want to this year. I believe I started buying mine in Jan - March last yr & I never looked back !!! :P:wub: God I love those things so much.

Too bad about the bleaching, but better for me and enforcing the waiting :lol:. I'll just go ogle your thread some more whenever I feel the urge to buy RFAs. My biggest one is maybe 4" across, but the long term resident in one of the DT at my LFS is huge. If all of mine get that big I'm going to run out of tank space :blink:

I keep saying that I want to stop ordering corals and then I nonchalantly go to UniqueCorals site and blam, another order is on the way. Not to mention they have a really cool Scoly, super unique coral, small, and currently 20% with their sale. Any advice on beginners keeping Scolys?

But...but this time I mean it! :D Stumbling upon uniquecorals is going to be the death of my resolve with that low shipping rate. I'm new to scolys too, but from what I've read on others' threads here is that they're more on the low-medium light scale, low flow, and they need to be fed for long term survival. Not every day feeding, but can't be left to their own devices either. Annoying thing about mine is that it usually doesn't want to be fed during the day so I have to thaw more food at night. I'm going to try feeding it pellets.

Ugh, Gena, sucks about the LPS woes you're having. Hopefully it's just a little blip and the plate will shape up.

Too bad about the bleaching, but better for me and enforcing the waiting :lol:. I'll just go ogle your thread some more whenever I feel the urge to buy RFAs. My biggest one is maybe 4" across, but the long term resident in one of the DT at my LFS is huge. If all of mine get that big I'm going to run out of tank space :blink:

But...but this time I mean it! :D Stumbling upon uniquecorals is going to be the death of my resolve with that low shipping rate. I'm new to scolys too, but from what I've read on others' threads here is that they're more on the low-medium light scale, low flow, and they need to be fed for long term survival. Not every day feeding, but can't be left to their own devices either. Annoying thing about mine is that it usually doesn't want to be fed during the day so I have to thaw more food at night. I'm going to try feeding it pellets.

For me, daytime feedings is an issue. Nighttime is easy. Only issue w night feeding thus far are my Euphyllias which r bundled up for the night.

Sorry about your plates and the urchin. From what I've read, urchins are especially sensitive to acclimation issues. My ex-LFS temperature acclimates only. And every time I would ask them how to acclimate something, they would tell me to do the same. No surprise then that my first urchin was a slug when I got him as well. I was going to order one from KP Aquatics, but when I saw the urchin today at the unlovely LFS, I figured I'd take a chance. It had been there for a while, and seems to be active, so it has a chance I hope. At least the urchin death is explainable. I really hate the mystery deaths! Hopefully your plates turn around and thrive.

That pom pom crabby is so cute! :wub:

Thanks! I wonder if the dead urchin is the cause of the dead star? The other starfish seems sluggish too. I have no clue what could be wrong with them. It can't be old age if both are dead or dying. I'll just keep watching the one that is left. I have some money to use with KPA. They are using some of my photos for their website and gave me some money as credit for use of photos. Maybe I'll get the replacement urchin from them. I've always had great luck with their stuff :).

Oh no Gena, sorry to hear about this. The inverts create such interest.

Speaking of Halloween, I'm going to a Halloween party on this Sat too. It's 80s themed. I chose Pat Benatar. This pic specifically (which while an icon in the 80s too of course, I don't know if the pic was 1978-9 or what). My mom just finished sewing me the top!. Red belt from Amazon tomorrow or the next day. I'm going to get a picture done just like that. Maybe I can do a side by side and get a pic to Pat herself.

images2_zps01ca3a34.jpg

Thanks, Annette! You are gonna rock that Pat Benatar costume!!!!! Make sure to share photos of yourself in costume ;). I'll be MM again but this time the pink dress from Gentleman Prefer Blondes :D. My husband is going as Bob Wiley from the movie "What about Bob?" :lol:. We watched that movie a few weeks ago and he said that would be a great Halloween costume...so that's what he'll be :lol:.

bob-wiley-dont-hassle-me-costume-1_zpsc0

costume_zps6329f6b5.jpeg

Sorry about the tank troubles gena. :( Are you going to get a new urchin or starfish?

Thanks, appreciate it :). I don't think I'll replace the starfish. But I do want another urchin. The other one didn't touch the algae I wanted it to eat, but it was sick. Maybe a healthy one will munch on it. I have to try again :).

I love that your pom pom comes out on stage to do that.

Also, your wrasse looks like it's grown a lot!

Thanks! She always does that to release the babies. I think she knows she needs to get in the highest flow area of the tank :).

SOOOOOO....great news!!!!! My photo won the contest!!!!! It will be in the Omega One calendar!!!!! And I have a $250 credit for fish food to use within the year. Should be interesting :lol:.

As soon as they post the photos on FB I'll share the one I entered here :). They are sending me a few calendars to share with friends/family too. They can be found at your LFS too. And they send them out to some clubs. I can't wait to see it :happydance:.

congrats on winning the photo contest!! I told KPA on facebook about your pics =).

Oh yeah???? Thank you :flower:. I wondered how they knew :lol:. I thought maybe they lurked on NR :).
Thanks...when it rains it pours I guess. Let's hope this is the extent of it. The female is out more than the male. But she only comes all the way out like that when she's releasing her babies. But yeah, they mostly hide.Not this year. I'm having a Halloween party on that Saturday :lol:. I'll be busy getting things ready for that. There's always Sunday I guess. But most likely not. It's a lot of fun though...I really enjoyed it last year :).
What are you dressing up as?

What are you dressing up as?

costume_zps6329f6b5.jpeg

Of course :). It's the only time of year I can do this and not feel stupid :lol:. How about you? Going to any costume parties?

My scoly will eat during the day. Usually when I feed the fish it will open its mouth so I throw a little mysis on it and it does the whole sarrlacc routine.

Hey Gena,

Sorry about your urchin.

Great news about the photo contest though! Be sure to post the photo or a link when the calendar comes out.

Have not retrofitted my light yet. Hope to start this weekend. "The Boss" has me busy on a tub/ shower remodel. She is my toughest client?!

David

omgomgomg you won! You & your tanks are famous :-D

Thanks!!!!! :flower:

Hey Gena,

Sorry about your urchin.

Great news about the photo contest though! Be sure to post the photo or a link when the calendar comes out.

Have not retrofitted my light yet. Hope to start this weekend. "The Boss" has me busy on a tub/ shower remodel. She is my toughest client?!

David

I'll post a link and a photo! Thanks :). What?!?!??! You haven't started yet? I figured you'd be done with it by now...or it was on it's way to Dave to be fixed ;). Good luck this weekend with it!!!! Did you decide not to go to RAP?

Lol awesome she's such an inspiration person.

LOL....well, it was either her or Eleanor Roosevelt :P.

Congrats on winning- that's awesome

How very cool that you won. Enjoy your gifts of free food! You couldn't ask for better than that!

Thank you both very much :).

Did a bunch of running around today for the party on Saturday. Tried my costume on for the first time today too. It's sooooo cute :happy:. It's way better than last years!!!! And I'm not doing a wig this year. It makes my head too hot :lol:. Gonna attempt to create her hair myself...minus the platinum blonde :).

Tank news!!!! I'm 99.9% sure why my plates are pissed and the orange is receding. The clams spit a lot of sand on them when I moved them recently. The clams have settled now and stopped doing that. Today I looked at the orange plate and saw SAND in it's mouth. I was able to get it all out. I'm pretty sure that was the issue. So now that the sand is out, hopefully it can recover fingerscrossed.

Going to RAP on Saturday. Will be working on the light Sunday.

I am bummed that you will not be there. Oh well, hopefully I will make it to Burbank sometime in the near future.

Going to RAP on Saturday. Will be working on the light Sunday.

I am bummed that you will not be there. Oh well, hopefully I will make it to Burbank sometime in the near future.

I hope the light install is going well for you today fingerscrossed.

How was RAP????? I'm sorry I missed it more so for missing out on meeting you since I know what the experience of RAP already is. Next time you're in Burbank, let me know!!!!!

Got my chalice and snails delivered on Friday. I'm in LOVE with this chalice :wub:. I guess it's just a cheap generic one, Alien Eye??? It was only $12. But I love the green on green spots!!!!! I hope it does really well for me.

IMG_8680_zps6c68ff85.jpg

Have a few Halloween pictures from last night. I found this idea online. It's a jack-o-lantern spewing guacamole :lol:.

IMG_3214_zps7a1d28db.jpg

I was really impressed with my costume dress considering it was a cheap China made $30 dress! Overall the getup needed the bleach blonde hair to really bring it together but I didn't want to wear a wig all night :lol:. Oh well. We had fun laughing at each other last night. Our one friend dressed as Captain Caveman..... he was awesome :lol:.

costume4_zps35a65f04.jpg

costume3_zps818b6120.jpg

Beautiful! Even upside down ;)

And that guacamole-spewing jack-o-lantern is too cute! So creative.

Thanks :). Hmmmmm...not sure why upside down. Photobucket is screwy sometimes :lol:.

I found all kinds of fun ideas for Halloween parties online. We had a small gathering so I couldn't use all that I wanted to use. Maybe next year :).

Archived