Innovative Marine Aquariums

Drift Monkey's ADA 60-P (Rebooted!)

Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey

11/11/2014 - It's back up!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

After two years of being away from the saltwater...I'M BACK BABY! :D

Many of you remember my Picotope (pics got b0rk3d in my old thread though), many probably don't. It wasn't that special anyway... :closedeyes:

Anyway, I'd like to start a log for my newest project, the ADA 60-P B). This is my first ADA tank evAr, so I'm pretty stoked! I originally planned on a 60-F a couple years back, but the timing/funds weren't right. I figured I might as well just go 60-P :P

Plans are to drill and sump it...GH Super Nano etc. What am I saying...you know there's going to be an equipment list!

Equipment:
ADA 60-P
ADA Garden Mat (60x30cm)
ADA NA Thermometer J-06CL (6mm) "Fahrenheit Ver."
Maxspect Razor 120W 20.5 16K

EcoTech VorTech MP10 ES
Glass lily pipe (for return)
Hydor ETH 200 In-Line External Heater 200W
Glass-holles Super Nano overflow
10g sump
Eheim 1250 (return pump)
Tunze Osmolator 3155
Spectrapure RO/DI

Egg crate duplex fuge mod

SCA-301 Skimmer on an egg crate platform

Livestock:
~10 lbs BRS Reef Saver Rock
~1/2" CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand

~5lbs BRS Bulk Dry Rock Rubble (vinegared to hell)

Anyway, I'll be updating this as I go along (probably slowly). Feel free to follow and comment (troll and flame too, I guess) ;)

Oh yeah - crappy phone pics (will catch a riot without these)!

946272_10151475047556137_1842273101_n.jp

Dat box!

268856_10151475048811137_1039622894_n.jp

Well packed...

198072_10151475048876137_651857231_n.jpg

Success! No breakage! But what's that stuff on top you ask?

400642_10151475048931137_1034674900_n.jp

A Garden Mat and thermometer of course.

283652_10151475048956137_593752479_n.jpg

The thermometer with my trusty knife.

601649_10151475049021137_1381623352_n.jp

Trimmed the Garden Mat and placed her on the stand.

943411_10151475049096137_672188331_n.jpg

Perfect fit, I'd say. :D

So...since I set up the stand last weekend, my cat has been jumping up on it every once in awhile. Just now, she tried to hop up on to it not knowing the tank was there and got a FACE FULL OF GLASS! :haha: That should tell ya how clear these ADAs are...

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drift Monkey

Whoa. What kind of stand is that?

Ikea...paid more than I wanted to for it...but I got the look I wanted so I guess it was worth it. :P

Deleted User 4

Ikea...paid more than I wanted to for it...but I got the look I wanted so I guess it was worth it. :P

What! I went to ikea the last time to buy my stand and didn't see this one. What's it called and how much was it? Fits perfectly onto the ada 60p imo.

nanoreefer11

DUDE SICK!?!?!?!?

What a perfect stand. And as for a heater, I would buy one, there cheap and allow you peace of mind. Where will the sump go?

Drift Monkey

What! I went to ikea the last time to buy my stand and didn't see this one. What's it called and how much was it? Fits perfectly onto the ada 60p imo.

It's called the BESTÅ Shelf unit with door. It comes in other colors...but the GF insisted on the expensive, high gloss "bamboo" colored one.

I added a chrome plated underframe...which added more to the cost (GF's idea again) :mellow:. I do admit though, the underframe seems pretty solid and buys a bit of peace of mind (I guess).

The stand is exactly 60cm long...so it literally fits the 60-P perfectly! B)

Deleted User 4

Ohhh it's the same stand that I have....lmao. Yours looks totally different though.

Yeah, I was wondering where that chrome plated underframe came from....ha.

Drift Monkey

DUDE SICK!?!?!?!?

What a perfect stand. And as for a heater, I would buy one, there cheap and allow you peace of mind. Where will the sump go?

Thanks man!

Yeah...I might just use a leftover 50W one I have for now and upgrade to a Cobalt Neo-Therm down the line (thiose look so nice). 100W should do it I think.

The sump is going in the stand.

Looks good so far and good equipment list

Thanks! Your tank is one of my inspirations Brad! Keep it up!

Ohhh it's the same stand that I have....lmao. Yours looks totally different though.

Yeah, I was wondering where that chrome plated underframe came from....ha.

Yeah...I guess the little bits help spruce it up a bit...haha.
Drift Monkey

What are your stocking plans?

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure right now.

In the past, I've mostly done softies and lps. I've kept a mantis for a while, though I don't think I'll do it here because that would be the end of the invert diversity. I love inverts though! I really enjoyed my anemone shrimp on my last tank so maybe a group of Venus or Pedersons would be nice. I also had sexies and a bumblebee last time...maybe sexies again? I've always wanted a Pom-Pom crab.

I'd like to try my hand at some nems too...maybe some maxi minis.

I'm open to suggestions as well...

Edit: Oh yeah! Porcelain crabs are a must! Love those guys!

Drift Monkey

Jk, didn't realize that thing opened up :P

It opens alright...although I wish I could find tank taller than a standard 10G to use a sump. I guess I could eventually go custom acrylic or something. Ah well...

Nice setup. I would love to see the Lilly pipes on your tank! I was planing on using it too on my build. What size drain are you going to use?

Drift Monkey

Nice setup. I would love to see the Lilly pipes on your tank! I was planing on using it too on my build. What size drain are you going to use?

Well, it would just be for the the outflow, but I'll keep ya updated. Should work with a standard 1/2"return. As for the drain, I'm not exactly sure but if I go with the glass-holes kit, it's a 1" drain.

nanoreefer11

It opens alright...although I wish I could find tank taller than a standard 10G to use a sump. I guess I could eventually go custom acrylic or something. Ah well...

I used a 10 gallon for a few nano reefs, works well, cheap, easy to DIY a sump. You'll like it, I was running a 200 gallon skimmer in a 10 with three baffles and an ATO, heater, and temp probe.. I suppose if you run a lot of reactors it would be too small but it worked for me lol

Drift Monkey

I used a 10 gallon for a few nano reefs, works well, cheap, easy to DIY a sump. You'll like it, I was running a 200 gallon skimmer in a 10 with three baffles and an ATO, heater, and temp probe.. I suppose if you run a lot of reactors it would be too small but it worked for me lol

Don't get me wrong, it should work fine. I'm gonna start reactor/skimmerless anyway. I'll add a reactor with Purigen and maybe a bit of GFO down the line depending on what my water looks like, the CPR nano reactor looks like it would fit well. A skimmer will be added if needed as well. I'm sure a 10g will have room for both + a fuge area, heater and ATO.

Only question I have is...where to source the baffles? Just the hardware store? Do you know what size glass I'd need?

nanoreefer11

I don't remember off the top. You can use "lexan" or just sheet glass from lowes. They will cut to size and use 100% sillicone and CD cases to make your baffles even.

Drift Monkey

Wouldn't glass be cheaper? haha Plus I'm pretty sure acrylic doesn't bond to silicone like glass does. It shouldn't be that much to get a few glass slabs cut though.

I bought plate glass from Home Depot and cut it myself. I used GE SC1200 silicone. I had some styrofoam pieces that I used to space. I made the return chamber about 1-2 inches larger than my return pump. The larger the return chamber is, the less your ATO would have to run. But I figured, the smaller, the more your ato would run and the more stable your salinity would be. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. lol

nanoreefer11

I used glass on my last sump, but I've bought one before with plexiglass or acrylic maybe sheets? I'm not sure but it worked fine. I would use glass on glass and acrylic on acrylic

Drift Monkey

almost bought the same stand when i did my 60f build. awesome start man, love it.

Yeah it turned out better than I thought it would. Thanks!

Yeah it turned out better than I thought it would. Thanks!

how strong is it btw? we have some ikea stuff and i thought it might not hold up to the weight of the tank

Archived