inTank Media Baskets

Drift Monkey's ADA 60-P (Rebooted!)

Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey

how strong is it btw? we have some ikea stuff and i thought it might not hold up to the weight of the tank

Not too sure...seems stable enough. I'm using an Expedit shelf for one of my planted shrimp tanks and it's been holding up fine for about a year now. Particle board is pretty strong if you keep it dry.

I could try sitting/standing on it for a while since I weigh more than a full 60-P.

Edit: from what I researched before buying, lots of guys use them for their planted setups...should be OK.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drift Monkey

It's about time dude! This is lookin sick, can't wait to see it stocked!

I know right...I told ya once I found a job! Well, here goes! :D

ADA's look like sweet tanks. Kind of wish I knew about them before I picked up my local lfs's old frag tank.

If you like inverts and want to try keeping sps (water changes and lighting are key for smaller tanks) check out acro crabs. I'm waiting for my sps frags to become colonies so I can get some, seems like a sweet "symbiotic" relationship. I understand the crabs may damage a few polyps since they have to hide somewhere but it works out overall. They eat any debri that settle in the acro and many people say the host colonies are the best looking ones.

Drift Monkey

ADA's look like sweet tanks. Kind of wish I knew about them before I picked up my local lfs's old frag tank.

If you like inverts and want to try keeping sps (water changes and lighting are key for smaller tanks) check out acro crabs. I'm waiting for my sps frags to become colonies so I can get some, seems like a sweet "symbiotic" relationship. I understand the crabs may damage a few polyps since they have to hide somewhere but it works out overall. They eat any debri that settle in the acro and many people say the host colonies are the best looking ones.

Yeah the ADAs are great...maybe one is in your future? ;)

I've seen those before and yes, I think they're pretty friggin sweet. Maybe I'll work my way up to SPS and keep some. I'd like to have a variety of inverts living together...much more interesting than fish IMO. I loved the porcelain crabs I had back then.

Just don't get the furry acro crabs..

What's wrong with the fuzzballs?

Drift Monkey

aren't the furry ones bad for your tanks? The smooth and colorful ones are good. fuzzballs are bad.

Ah yes, I remember reading about these guys wrecking systems! <_<

For reference, here are some of the inverts I used to keep:

- is the limit to embed 2 per post?
Drift Monkey

Drift monkey, glad to see you went with the ADA. Looks really nice.

Thanks Paul! When's the picotope going back online? ;)

Drift Monkey

Hmmm so no sps for this tank?

I didn't rule 'em out! They take a bit more work, so I may wait on it is all. I've never kept SPS, so it'll be a new challenge for me. I figure since I'm going with the Razor I should take advantage of it and try some SPS out.

My next tank will be when I graduate and have more cash so it'll be custom haha,

the "fuzzy" acro crabs to my understanding are basically emerald crabs with their hairs slicked back, they eat polyps. In my experience sexy shrimp enjoy feasting on sps polyps too, so just a warning if you want some more for the next tank, mine are all in my sump because they were nipping at my birds nest, they will be returned to my lfs shortly

I think people say sps are difficult because they just require more pristine water conditions, so if you do wc's regularly you should be fine, just make sure to acclimate them to your lighting and give them flow

Drift Monkey

My next tank will be when I graduate and have more cash so it'll be custom haha,

the "fuzzy" acro crabs to my understanding are basically emerald crabs with their hairs slicked back, they eat polyps. In my experience sexy shrimp enjoy feasting on sps polyps too, so just a warning if you want some more for the next tank, mine are all in my sump because they were nipping at my birds nest, they will be returned to my lfs shortly

I think people say sps are difficult because they just require more pristine water conditions, so if you do wc's regularly you should be fine, just make sure to acclimate them to your lighting and give them flow

I'm basically blowing lots of money because I just got a job. <_< Worth it though!

From what I understand, sexies start nipping at everything if you let them get hungry...hmmmm.

Yeah...well, I'd like to avoid a skimmer and such (for now) so that's why I was thinking it might be hard to keep SPS. I do plan on doing a 10% change weekly and I've seen examples of people successfully keeping SPS that way. The lighting I plan should be sufficient, and I'd hope the MP10 would provide adequate flow.

Don't SPS have higher cal/alk/mag requirements? I'd like to avoid dosing if I can. Maybe I can get away with a salt mix that is fortified.

The other issue is feeding them right?

Deleted User 4

Yeah. Don't need to feed them but they do require daily dosage or every so often.

So your plans for this tank are some lps, softies, maxi mini's and inverts? Hmmm

Drift Monkey

Yeah. Don't need to feed them but they do require daily dosage or every so often.

So your plans for this tank are some lps, softies, maxi mini's and inverts? Hmmm

A fortified mix might be enough to a certain extent though right? Once you get big colonies, I'd imagine that would not be enough.

Yeah, at least to start out with. SPS will probably make it in there at some point I think.

Deleted User 4

A fortified mix might be enough to a certain extent though right? Once you get big colonies, I'd imagine that would not be enough.

Yeah, at least to start out with. SPS will probably make it in there at some point I think.

I can't be so sure because I myself am in the same boat as you. I've never had sps in my life as well lmao!

Drift Monkey

I can't be so sure because I myself am in the same boat as you. I've never had sps in my life as well lmao!

Fair enough...I'm sure someone with SPS experience will reply at some point! :)

I have sps. they do fine in my lil 30C. I've had some for over a year and they're growing like crazy. Just last week though, they all decided to take a plunge. Most of them RTN within 2-3 days. I've only got a couple remaining pieces. BUT SPS isn't that hard (I think I got lazy with the WC and that's why my sps started to RTN).

Red_Blenny

SPS isn't too bad, just keep the tank stable (don't have temp/alk/salinity swings), keep the nutrient levels low, and do your usual weekly W/C. You can probably get away without dosing if you get start off with a few frags at a time to get an idea.

Easy SPS would be birdsnest and little tricky but not too hard would be Acropora Millepora/Prostatas. Try to pick up established, aquacultured pieces since those are more hardier/forgiving than the maricultured ones (it's doable but some are a bit effy).

Drift Monkey

SPS all the way! Or NPS.

Both types I haven't kept...although I've always loved your NPS! I'm scared of overfeeding though...haha

I have sps. they do fine in my lil 30C. I've had some for over a year and they're growing like crazy. Just last week though, they all decided to take a plunge. Most of them RTN within 2-3 days. I've only got a couple remaining pieces. BUT SPS isn't that hard (I think I got lazy with the WC and that's why my sps started to RTN).

Ah well that sucks. :mellow: Thanks for the info.

SPS isn't too bad, just keep the tank stable (don't have temp/alk/salinity swings), keep the nutrient levels low, and do your usual weekly W/C. You can probably get away without dosing if you get start off with a few frags at a time to get an idea.

Easy SPS would be birdsnest and little tricky but not too hard would be Acropora Millepora/Prostatas. Try to pick up established, aquacultured pieces since those are more hardier/forgiving than the maricultured ones (it's doable but some are a bit effy).

I had a tiny birdsnest in my picotope that never really made it. Thanks for the tips though, maybe I'll give them a go down the line!

Drift Monkey

Anyone with a sump using an inline heater? I have one laying around, but am kinda leery of using it (might reduce flow). It'd keep a heater out of the sump though...

I have never used an in-line heater but from what I've heard, it's a lot better than your conventional heaters. Kinda like using a chiller I guess; you run your water through it before going back into the tank. I would just check how much flow it requires you to have.

Archived