Coral Vue Hydros

4.5 gallon Trimmadise

Reef Fever

Reef Fever

Hey all, names Jeremy..I need to be on another forum like I need a hole in the head..BUT I figured some of you might enjoy my little homemade tank I sometimes call Frankenstein.

I had a fluval flora sittin in my closet I got for free so I decided to pull it off the shelf and do something with it. I have always loved Trimma gobies but couldn't keep them in my large tank with the big fish so I decided to create a tank just for a pair.

Picked up a sheet of scrap black acrylic from my friends over at ATM and decided to try and make this an "all in one" tank.

Everything I cut and or drilled was done with just the tools I had in the garage.

The overflow holes were 3 separate drill holes I filed down into one strip each. Return was drilled out with a 1" hole-saw and then routered out with a large grinding tip on the drill to fit the bulkhead. I cut all the acrylic by hand with an acrylic cutter (I know things arent perfectly straight).

All said and done with the sand bed the display portion is a little over 4.5 gallons

Basically this was a spare parts build....hence Frankenstein. The only new stuff I purchased for the tank was the loc-line and a DIY Rapid LED kit.

post-80072-0-03214000-1368072909_thumb.jpg

post-80072-0-84420200-1368072910_thumb.jpg

post-80072-0-15757500-1368072912_thumb.jpg

post-80072-0-98921000-1368072914_thumb.jpg

post-80072-0-57049000-1368072916_thumb.jpg

post-80072-0-04738400-1368072918_thumb.jpg

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reef Fever
andi.rahl

wow, looks good! I need to get a piece of acrylic cut for my 50 gallon tank.

Reef Fever

Thanks! Like I said I cut mine by hand with a scoring acrylic cutter, definitely wasnt fun! LOL

andi.rahl

I have no idea what that is nor how to use it! I think it'd be easier for me to figure out what size piece I need and order it from somewhere.

Reef Fever

I have no idea what that is nor how to use it! I think it'd be easier for me to figure out what size piece I need and order it from somewhere.

acrylic_cutting_tool-300x115.jpg

Job well done sir! Beautiful goby too :)

Thank you!

Reef Fever

no you can find them at the hardware store for under $10, even amazon has em under $5

andi.rahl

huh, might need to get one, then!

it'd probably be handy for some diy projects.

Are you going to do a post about your stocking and such?

Reef Fever

Livestock

Fish

(2) Trimma tevegae

(1) Wheeler's Goby

Inverts

(2) Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

(1) Blood Fire Shrimp

(5+)Blue Leg Hermits

(1) Turbo Snail

(2) Margarita Snails

(5) Nassarius Snails

(1) Bumble Bee Snail

Lots of mini brittle stars

Asterina Stars

LOTS of pods

SPS

Aussie Tri-Color Acro

Rainbow Millie

Unkown Millie

ORA Red Plabet

Montipora Spongodes

Seasons greetings monti

Bright Orange Cap

Acropora Plana

Pink Hystrix Birdsnest

Green Hystrix Birdsnest

Unnamed Blue Polyped Birdsnest

Unkown Green tipped Acro

LPS

Candy Cane

Stunner Chalice

chalice from MD live (cant remember name)

Softies/Zoas/ Palys

Red Ring Zoas

Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoas

Orange Eagle Eye Zoas

Various Unnamed Zoas

Laser Lemons Zoas

Armor of Gods Zoas

Xenia (2 variations)

Blue Anthelia

Palythoa caribaeorum

Green Button Palys

GSP

Green Pipe Organ

Various mushrooms

Green Hairy Shroom

Yellow Parazoanthus

Reef Fever

after being in a very crafty mood working on my old pickup

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/omgitsjeremy/media/datsun620_zpsb9e61ed4.jpg.html'>datsun620_zpsb9e61ed4.jpg

I decided to look through my closet to see if I could throw together a skimmer omgomgomg Just need to get a wooden airstone now..may try the chopstick technique first

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/omgitsjeremy/media/skimmer_zps4a521975.jpg.html'>skimmer_zps4a521975.jpg

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/omgitsjeremy/media/skimmer2_zps6cfe1088.jpg.html'>skimmer2_zps6cfe1088.jpg

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/omgitsjeremy/media/skimmer3_zpsdd637faa.jpg.html'>skimmer3_zpsdd637faa.jpg

Awsome idea for a skimmer, maybe make the skimate collect into a bottle and not just a open top cup? ya dont wanna be away one day if it decides to overflow or something.

Reef Fever

Didn't even realize that pic got turned upside down lol. Good suggestion, since this was the first one I've ever made I'm sure I will find some things I need to tweak eventually

Reef Fever

thank you very much, pictures dont do this little tank justice! I will keep you all posted..as of right now its just sitting in one of the back chambers since I dont have my airstone yet!

Awesome tank!! Love the skimmer idea let me know how it goes im looking to build or buy a skimmer too :P
I need one too

Archived