inTank Media Baskets

May 2013 Featured Reef - Spirofucci's 34 Gallon Nano Reef

Christopher Marks

Spirofucci

Beautiful! Nice setting for the picture too! :)

Thank you PicoPerson!!! I'm honored that your 5th post on NR was here! Welcome!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PicoPerson

Thank you PicoPerson!!! I'm honored that your 5th post on NR was here! Welcome!!!

Thank You! Ive been staring at this forum far to long without saying anything... :)

TimTimothy

Nicely done. I'm cramming info in as I get ready to launch my tank, and will use elements that I see in yours.

I'm sure I could dig through the threads, but perhaps a question here? :-)

Can you explain how your fuge works within the system? Is is the macro algae that provides an extra level of filtration for you there?

Spirofucci

Nicely done. I'm cramming info in as I get ready to launch my tank, and will use elements that I see in yours.

I'm sure I could dig through the threads, but perhaps a question here? :-)

Can you explain how your fuge works within the system? Is is the macro algae that provides an extra level of filtration for you there?

Thanks Tim!

I chose to have a display fuge instead of a ball of cheato in the sump. Having said that, all those macros in my fuge may not be as efficient as cheto in the sump???? But it sure is more interesting!

Lately, I have been looking at my fuge more than my DT.....

TimTimothy

Thanks for the response. I guess as a newbie, I think of a fuge as a workhorse of filtration, adding beneficial things back into the new tank or exporting nutrients. Can you quickly tell me the working functions of your fuge? It seems to simply be a 2nd display tank, but I really like the idea of a 2nd tank as both a working tank and a display. :-)

I'm currently running a biocube 14 as a planted freshwater tank, and I've decided to side-by-side a second biocube 14 as a nano-reef. And, I'm trying to think of a name for the duo like you did. Tale of 2 tanks? :-)

Spirofucci

It depends on how you define a refugium........but my goal was to have it all, lol.

Ideally, my goal was to have both tanks would "support" each other. Mainly a whole bunch of macros for eating up excess nutrients and lots of room for corals, fish and other critters that I can't put in my DT.

Either way I went from an AIO to a two tank system with a sump......

I like a Tale of Two tanks!!!!!!

Spirofucci

Congratulations Spiro! :)

Thanks Herp!!!! Your tank is quite cool along with all your other critters!!!!

Spirofucci

Thats awsome!!! congrats on being featured!!

Thanks so much privitor!

Very nice!

I appreciate it Fellow Reefer!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Spirofucci

Wow beautiful scape! Congrats!

Whoa, just saw this.....Thanks Mstanbery! Bonzai type scapes are not for everybody, but I like it.

I have been to Sata Cruz many times......its so beautiful there.

Mstansbery

Hahaha Awesome!! Yeh Im a big fan of Bonsai scapes!! Let me know if you're ever in the area!!

Shallow~Reef

Congrats Spiro! One look at it and you think 'wow'! Just the right amount of colours :happy:

I would like to see how that branching duncan grows.

Spirofucci

Awesome

Thanks so much!!!!

Very nice

Thank you!

Congrats Spiro! One look at it and you think 'wow'! Just the right amount of colours :happy:

I would like to see how that branching duncan grows.

Ha! thanks SR!!!

Yes, I really like that branching duncan. Ihope it continues to branch. It does have some new baby pups starting to bloom out......so we'll see what happens......

• 5 months later...

Spirofucci,

Amazing setup. I currently live in Okinawa, Japan and I've told my wife that once we get back to the states in a couple of years, this is how I intend to setup my tank and display fuge. You've given me some great inspiration. May I ask how you have everything plumbed? Also are you using the same kind/gph of return pumps for both tanks? What's the water volume of your sump? Thanks so much.

Archived