ReefCleaners.org

Red mushroom showed tentacles tonight?

FlowerMama

I did a 2 gallon water change on my Aqueon Evo 8 this evening. About 5 mins ago Iooked in w/ a little key ring light and quickly turned the aquarium light on and took of picture of it doing this. It's fully extended during the day past the plug, gets smaller in the evening- but THIS i've never seen. Is it happy or pissed? I know there's always stuff floating around after a water change. For some reason maybe it was too much of a change for it today? kept all the same. These were extending like an inch out at first. Otherwise during the day looks like your basic full red mushroom.

i believe they do that when there mad or stressed. i had a blue and a red do this when i took them out of the water to add them to a new rock. i belive its there protection methid. again im not 100% on this. the little guy should be ok soon

What is near it? Are you running carbon? Coral do that in a way to "digest" another coral when they touch. Look up mesenterial filaments.

Hmm, the only experience I've had of this happening with mushrooms was when they were really stressed. They should just get sucked back inside and it will be fine.

FlowerMama

update pic. much happier, and as you can see much larger. ty- your'e right, just pissed. There's nothing around it. Still such a new tank.

mesothelial filaments. However those are spelled. Something pissed it off and it threw out it's stomach, usually in an effort to digest whatever it is that pissed it off. Sometimes snails falling on it will do it, sometimes it is chemical warfare. glad it looks happy now.

Archived