Coral Vue Hydros

rdck99's 16g Nuvo Reef (Now w/NanoBox Duo + 1st SPS!)

rdck99

I'd tackle the algae now while its small. For bubble algae you want to pull the balls off the rock with tweezers without rupturing the balls. Otherwise you can remove the rock and scrub the algae off with a toothbrush or spray it with a peroxide and water mix. Emerald crabs will help clear it up but they can cause other issues. I'm apposed to adding a critter to your tank specifically to get rid of a pest (Peppermint shrimp and aiptasia for example). Just make sure you really want an emerald crab before you decide to add one to try and fix an issue, these things can come back to bite you.

Thanks for the response. I'm scared to death of rupturing the bubble, but am also opposed to taking the rock out of the tank when I know others have had success without having to do so. That said...any secret technique? Do I apply the tweezers and pinch at the base or am I typically good to pinch at the bubble itself? Thanks for any further advice. (I was planning on adding an emerald anyway, but I see your point)

Regarding your Salinity.....I have added RO top off for some time before it raises the salinity. I believe after 6 days that is normal with salt creep etc... If you add saltwater to top off it will go up.. that seems low for a reef tank IMO you should get it up to 1.026 if you are adding coral they will love it.

Thank you. This is precisely what I'll do.

Thanks for the response. I'm scared to death of rupturing the bubble, but am also opposed to taking the rock out of the tank when I know others have had success without having to do so. That said...any secret technique? Do I apply the tweezers and pinch at the base or am I typically good to pinch at the bubble itself? Thanks for any further advice. (I was planning on adding an emerald anyway, but I see your point)

As the tank is cycling I'd bite the bullet and just remove the rock, clean it up and put it back in. If your 100% apposed to doing that and want to use tweezers I found the best method was to grab the bubble lightly and try and twist it or wobble it free.

Bubble Algae Update:

After careful consideration, I decided to take the rocks out of the tank and remove the bubble algae. Prior to taking the rock out, I had only spotted the algae into two locations, but after careful inspection of the rocks outside the water (using a LED flashlight), I discovered bubble algae on every rock (5 rocks total), in multiple locations (see below picture of what I removed). Does this seem like a lot...should I be angry with Premium Aquatics or is this normal to see after 7 days?

photo4_zpsea051da1.jpg

I used tweezers and a toothpick for the actual removal, and then applied hydrogen peroxide with a cotton swab to the areas of the rock they were removed from. After a few minutes, I soaked the rocks in a saltwater mix bucket and placed them back in the tank. Was a few minutes of peroxide soaking enough to kill the bubble algae that was left on the rock? Is a quick soak in a bucket of water enough to remove anything left of the peroxide that may be harmful to the tank?

All-in-all, the process took over two hours...much longer than I expected, but after I found so much more than expected, I'm glad I went this route. However, each time I mess with my aquascape, I'm unable to get the rock back in the position it was in, and I'm never happy with the end result. After my first week in the hobby, rock arrangement is the most stressful aspect.

Few other notes:

• Salt Mix Recipe: It appears that 1/2 a cup per gallon of RO/DI water yields a perfect (for me) 1.026 salinity when using the DD-H20cean salt mix. The mixing instructions provided are given in liters, and after the conversion to cups, I was left with odd mixing numbers (.39 cups/gallon) and wasn't achieving very good salinity. Decided to stop making it so difficult and simply try the standard 1/2 a cup per gallon...glad I did.
  • ATO: I haven't really trusted my Tunze Osmolator Nano since day 1, but I think my concerns were finally proven this evening. When I removed the rock, the water level dropped several inches below my ideal water line and where the sensor was mounted, yet the Osmolator never turned on. I shook the pump and messed with the sensor, but nothing. The only time I've ever seen it on is right after I plug it in. I'm emailing Tunze for help. Any ideas?
  • Live Rock: Even though I'm somewhat angry at Premium Aquatics for all the bubble algae, carefully inspecting every nook and cranny of the rocks with my LED flashlight revealed a tremendous amount of life that I was previously unaware of. I would have taken pictures, but I got anxious having the rock out of the tank for so long and feared that I may jeopardize the newly discovered growth.
  • Cycle: All parameters are still reading zero. A friend gave me a bottle of SmartStart Complete that I may use once I start seeing some ammonia.

i believe the run time for the tunze ato is about 30 seconds. what that means is that the pump will run for 30 seconds and if the water level doesnt get to the desired level then the pump will stop becuase it thinks the reservoir is dry, and to protect from over flowing the tank. it is a safety to protech the pump from running dry, or overlfowing your tank with continuous water flow. all you need to do is unplug it and plug it back in. you can also open the little controller box and push the fuse over if you want a longer run time. i pushed mines over and the run time is about a minute now i think. tanks bigger than 25 gallons need a longer run time. anyways its been a long time since i read the user manual but i have the same ato and its awesome and i thought i had a faulty pump too but it was just user error.

• Like 1
Super CatPig

If it only fills when you plug it and unplug it and no other times.. I would definitely call tunze or the distributer for a replacement ASAP.

As far as live rock goes I wouldn't get too upset at Premium Aquatics unless they specified that it would be algae/pest free. For me it's an odd balance I guess. I love live rock and the little creatures that come with it that you can discover.. but you will get some pests or unwanted algae/nems/hydroids along with the good/fun stuff when you get it.

If you don't want any pests at the beginning the best route is to order dry rock - I know BRS sells some good stuff- pourus/various shapes... But once you add coral, things will still find a way into your system.

I am kind of lazy with my manual removal. :unsure: It looks like you did a good job with it though! Sorry I dont know much about peroxide treatment but from what I have read you did it correctly. :)Reefkeeping magazine has a good article about bubble algae if you are interested. I love their archived articles.

If it only fills when you plug it and unplug it and no other times.. I would definitely call tunze or the distributer for a replacement ASAP.

As far as live rock goes I wouldn't get too upset at Premium Aquatics unless they specified that it would be algae/pest free. For me it's an odd balance I guess. I love live rock and the little creatures that come with it that you can discover.. but you will get some pests or unwanted algae/nems/hydroids along with the good/fun stuff when you get it.

If you don't want any pests at the beginning the best route is to order dry rock - I know BRS sells some good stuff- pourus/various shapes... But once you add coral, things will still find a way into your system.

I am kind of lazy with my manual removal. :unsure: It looks like you did a good job with it though! Sorry I dont know much about peroxide treatment but from what I have read you did it correctly. :)Reefkeeping magazine has a good article about bubble algae if you are interested. I love their archived articles.

Good point - I definitely think the benefits of LR will outweigh the pests!

I feel like I have much more rock than other similar tanks, so I'm pondering a change. My proposed plan would include removing the rock indicated and turning the rock on the far left over to the right, so I still have an archway (as you can see, I like caves/archways). Again, it's a 16 gallon tank, but after adding about 18-19 lbs of LR and about 20 lbs of LS, only about 12 gallons of water were needed.

What do you all think? Thanks for any suggestions!

8c9e9f10-f6bd-4ec6-8d9d-1bb3c619ddc2_zps

7606cab3-877a-4d3c-90a1-a8a84edb653b_zps

Super CatPig

It looks pretty porous. I don't think removing that rock would be any problem. In fact I think it would help with flow a lot.. and in my mind that would look really nice. I think I have 20-24 lbs in my 29 gallon.

It looks pretty porous. I don't think removing that rock would be any problem. In fact I think it would help with flow a lot.. and in my mind that would look really nice. I think I have 20-24 lbs in my 29 gallon.

I agree on all accounts, especially the improved flow. I added this question/picture to the Biofilter thread and had several responses and the verdict was unanimous...here's the new scape:

4d2ad6bc-be6c-4cf0-9ac6-a87f7ebcb6dd_zps

My caves/tunnels are not as impressive, but it's growing on me. Once I get something in there besides rock, I'm sure the new design will be that much more appealing.

• Scape Redesign: I put the removed rock in that rubble bucket (remember from my tank setup - I had a few small pieces that weren't added, so I kept them in a bucket of saltwater), which I hadn't looked at in over a week, and noticed a lot more life in the bucket than in my tank. That bristle worm that I posted after my setup was found and still kicking, as were 4 small snails (very small, like the tip of a pen), and a lot of brown dirt/algae looking stuff (diatoms? - does that sound right?). So, I rounded up the worm and all 4 snails and placed them in my tank. The worm has since disappeared but I still see a snail or two on the glass every day. All-in-all, I'd say I'm down to about 14-15 lbs or LR and up to 13g of water.
  • Parameters/Cycle: I was somewhat disappointed that this bucket that had been in my garage had snails and an apparent diatom bloom...seems like it was cycling faster than my tank :( That said, I'm taking a water sample to the LFS to get a second opinion on the tests and stage of the cycle...according to my readings, after 12 days, I'm still reading 0 ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. On a positive note, after taking the rock out and supplementing with freshly mixed saltwater, my salinity is now up to 1.026, which is what I'll try and maintain. pH looks to be around 8.0 at this point. My 75w Eheim and RKL controller are kicking a** - I don't think my temp has varied by more than .1 degrees from 79, since I've dialed it in.
  • CUC: I emailed John at reefcleaners.org and here is his suggestion for my tank (if only cycle would hurry and some algae would grow!):
    • 10 Dwarf Ceriths - small effective cleaners
    • 3 Nassarius
    • 4 Florida Ceriths
    • 3 Assorted Hermits
    • 3 Nerites
    • 1 Emerald Crab
    • (I'll also probably add a Peppermint Shrimp)

Couple more thoughts that have crossed my mind the past few days...

• Live Sand: I had read that 4"+ of LS (DSB) can be good, but if not wanting that much, you're best to keep the bed under 1-1.5", because folks have had problems with the in between depths (2-3"), which is exactly where I'm at. I put about 22 lbs into my tank. Do you all think I need to have some LS removed? I really don't want go digging in my tank again, but whatever's best...?
  • RO/DI: I considered buying the SpectraPure unit, but ultimately decided against it. Considering I'd only be mixing small batches (<5g), I'd really need to monitor it closely as it mixed or setup some kind of ATO so it didn't overflow. Neither of which sounded very fun, so my RO/DI will continue coming from the LFS. I figure I won't need much more than 5g every 1.5-2 weeks (2g for ATO and 3g for a water change).

That's all for now!

Parameters: The LFS confirmed my API test results...basically everything is reading zero, except for possibly trace amounts of ammonia/nitrates. I'll be out of town for 7 days beginning mid next week, so my plan is to wait until after I return and if I'm still not seeing any sort of spike or algae/diatom bloom, then I may artificially jumpstart the cycle by adding ammonia. That'll be about the 4 week mark. Does this seem like a bad plan to anyone?

photo5_zpseff43741.jpg

ATO: My Tunze Osmolator Nano struggles continue. I've had the device unplugged the past couple of days but refilled the reservoir and plugged things back in. The pump ran for a moment without pumping water, I then turned it upside down (while submerged - a trick Tunze said to try to clear any air pockets), and water then pumped for about 30 seconds and stopped. Immediately after the pumping stopped, the pulsating every 5 seconds started back up. Roger at Tunze has been very helpful and will hopefully be sending me the replacement needed before my trip next week.

Super CatPig

the tiny snails sound like collonista snails. Bristle worms generally come out when it's dark. A lot of the small stuff that lives in the rock does. But I noticed when I first set up my tank I didn't see a lot and over time I gradually saw more and more life come out of my rocks. That CUC sounds good to me. Personally I hate peppermint shrimp and everything about them LOL. Seriously though most are fine to have - they can thieve food from coral and eat tiny snails/worms and be annoying IMO. Don't get any from Tropical World Pets. I have heard large emeralds may become opportunistic feeders but small ones are ok. I've never owned one.. but I probably should. Just something to be aware of over time.

I have read about deep vs shallow vs no sand beds a bit in the past. All I can say is it all confuses me. LOL sorry thats no help. I would bet you will see a spike in something by the time you get back from vacation. I wouldn't add amonia because I would think that you would be somewhere towards the middle of your cycle by the time you get back.. It sounds like your Tunze will get there in time but if not- consider getting a neighbor/family/friend to put some RODI water in the back of your tank while you are away. It could get real salty in there. I have a friend that has a heavily planted fresh water tank that enjoys doing small stuff to my tank while I am out of town.

the tiny snails sound like collonista snails. Bristle worms generally come out when it's dark. A lot of the small stuff that lives in the rock does. But I noticed when I first set up my tank I didn't see a lot and over time I gradually saw more and more life come out of my rocks. That CUC sounds good to me. Personally I hate peppermint shrimp and everything about them LOL. Seriously though most are fine to have - they can thieve food from coral and eat tiny snails/worms and be annoying IMO. Don't get any from Tropical World Pets. I have heard large emeralds may become opportunistic feeders but small ones are ok. I've never owned one.. but I probably should. Just something to be aware of over time.

I have read about deep vs shallow vs no sand beds a bit in the past. All I can say is it all confuses me. LOL sorry thats no help. I would bet you will see a spike in something by the time you get back from vacation. I wouldn't add amonia because I would think that you would be somewhere towards the middle of your cycle by the time you get back.. It sounds like your Tunze will get there in time but if not- consider getting a neighbor/family/friend to put some RODI water in the back of your tank while you are away. It could get real salty in there. I have a friend that has a heavily planted fresh water tank that enjoys doing small stuff to my tank while I am out of town.

As always, thank you for the comments. Sounds like you've been severely wronged by a Peppermint in the past! I want a shrimp and it seems some of the other species get too big...any alternate suggestions? A Sexy would be cool eventually.

Duly noted - avoid Tropical World Pets. I enjoy shopping at Seascape and Gateway Aquatics anyway.

Thanks for the other advice...the sand bed stuff is way over my head and confusing to me as well. Suppose I'll try not to let myself lose any sleep over it. Hopefully my Tunze is fixed, but if not, I'm in the process of recruiting a reliable out of town tank maintainer.

Thanks again!

Super CatPig

No problem. I'm not sure I am much help though LOL.

I don't mean to bash peps because most don't go rogue like mine did. You should totally buy a pep if you want one. They are super cheap and interesting to watch at night. But I don't think any shrimp sold for the aquarium would be too big for your tank. Most get around 2 inches max. There are a lot of interesting ones out there it seems. Personally skunk cleaner shrimp are my favorites. They seem less shy than most. Coral banded shrimp look really cool with their crazy long arms. Sexy shrimp are neat the way they move their tails... You could actually keep a little group of sexy shrimp in your tank. They might nibble on coral from what I have read.. they say to keep em well fed and they should be good but I've never owned one. Sometimes I think about getting a couple of these. Really funny looking little guys. They will eat starfish though and I wonder how active they are. I've never seen one at the store and haven't found many videos of them.

• Like 1

ATO: My ATO is currently behaving (each time I unplug it or have to fill the reservoir, it's a coin flip whether or not it'll work properly). Sometimes it takes multiple unplugs/replugs, other times it'll stop pulsating and start working normally hours after I've given up fiddling with it (turning it upside down in the reservoir, shaking the hoses, etc.). Tunze is sending me a replacement brain as soon as they can.

Business Trip: I leave tomorrow and won't return until next Wednesday (8 days). I hope to return to a clearly cycled tank, ready for a CUC. Then, perhaps I can begin updating this thread with fun updates! Until then, more boring ones...

My tank is still reading the same parameters it read on Day #1 (now on Day #17)...

20671c73-dd17-4548-b57b-e56399f91859_zps

A little bit of algae growth in the far left corner of the tank, otherwise, things look about as they did on Day #1 (although my feather duster worms don't seem as lively as they once were)...

7abb7eac-bc6a-4dd9-a01b-4ad4cb402a30_zps

Macro-algae of some sort?

3e32b677-9d68-42a1-bfdb-c65a5df6ff21_zps

• 2 weeks later...
  • Cycle: After 8 nights away, I've come home to a very similar tank. Still (at least to my uneducated eye) not entirely sure the tank has cycled, but I'm starting to lean towards: cycle complete. Here's another picture of my readings. I'm on day 26 and I've yet to measure any obvious (perhaps trace) levels of ammonia or nitrites, but I'm starting to think nitrates are increasing (very slightly, if at all). Maybe, considering the cured LR, the ammonia/nitrite spikes were just extremely quick/small? Thoughts? Am I CUC (even though it doesn't seem like there's much to eat) and/or fish ready after a water change to further lower my nitrates?

photo6_zps86258732.jpg

• Algae: I am starting to get a slight buildup of algae on my MP10 and the pump outlets. I suppose this is a good sign if I'm wanting my tank to show signs of cycling, right?

photo7_zps0ebb497a.jpg

• Hitchhikers: came home to find this little white bubble-looking sac growing on one of my rocks. Looks to be a sponge of some sort. I also spotted another worm-like creature, but he darted into a crevice as soon as I turned on the lights, so I couldn't get a picture. He was similar to my bristle worm, but looked more defined (i.e. deep brown color, more defined legs). I also seem to be seeing more and more pod-like creatures.

photo8_zps37584772.jpg

I have literally thousand of those sponges on my rock, a single one came in on a zoa frag and survived my fresh water dip and has multiplied.

Super CatPig

Yea I'm wondering if you just had a small cycle as well. Not really sure. If you decide to add things, I always go slow - a very small cuc first. monitor them then more depending on your needs, again monitor them as well. Then fish. Has that small amount of algae you posted a week ago grown into anything?

Yea I'm wondering if you just had a small cycle as well. Not really sure. If you decide to add things, I always go slow - a very small cuc first. monitor them then more depending on your needs, again monitor them as well. Then fish. Has that small amount of algae you posted a week ago grown into anything?

I'm buying some ammonia tonight and will introduce a small amount (1ppm?) into the tank and see what my tank does with it. If it doesn't convert it over 24 hours (?), then I'll add a bit more to jump start a cycle. This process was suggested to me in another thread, and it seems to make sense.

Are you referring to the macro algae or the gunk that is collecting in the corners and on my MP10? Either way, no, nothing has grown into anything. The tank looks about as it did on day one.

I'll keep you posted!

• Cycle: I went to the LFS to buy some ammonia, but I was talked out of that method and talked into getting a few snails to introduce and see how they do. They convinced me that my tank was likely cycled and if the snails do fine the next week, then that'll be confirmed. Worst case scenario, they don't do well and help start the cycle. They also tested my water and confirmed only trace nitrates. My buddy gave me a bottle of Smart Start Complete, which is supposed to help with the cycle and be generally good for the tank, so I added 1.5 teaspoons of it.
  • Diatoms?: Today I noticed what I can only guess are diatoms beginning to bloom on over my sand. Tough to see in the picture, but is that what I'm looking at?

IMG_0642_zps8e9f5e2c.jpg

• Snails: The LFS gave me 3 Astrea Snails and 1 Cerith Snail (so I'm told)...awfully nice of them! I float acclimated them for about 30-40 min and netted them into the tank (water from the LFS down the drain). So far (about an hour in), I'm not so sure how they're doing...the Cerith cruised the sand for awhile, went up the glass, and is now at the water line, while the Astreas are chilling on the rock (not moving much).

IMG_0634_zpsea4e8ef5.jpg

• Tunze Nano Osmolator: My new "brain" finally arrived and all seems to be working fine now! Seems like my tank requires about 1 gallon of RO/DI per week due to evaporation. My reservoir is about 2.5 gallons, so I'm pretty happy that I won't have to refill except for once every 2-3 weeks.
  • New Hitchhiker / Hairy Sponge/Shroom?: Noticed this today as well. No clue what it is, but anything with little hairs scares me. Any thoughts? Apparently, this is a Foraminifera.

IMG_0637_zps916743f1.jpg

• Snails: the 3 Astrea snails are still chilling on the same rock, in direct flow of my MP10. My tank still reads zero ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, so not sure what could be bothering them, unless they're still stressed from the move? The Cerith seems to still be moving around the sand and glass, but he now seems to have some gross looking worm thing growing out of him. Any idea what this is? I may be making this up, but it looks like perhaps he ran over my feather duster worm that had been hanging out in the sand nearby, but I don't think this looks like my feather duster...unless the insides were sucked out - this worm almost looks transparent. Is it maybe some kind of parasite?

photo7_zps8a3dfb39.jpg

• Like 1
Super CatPig

Oddly enough thats how ceriths lay eggs. Pass out some cigars. I'm a firm believer in drip acclimation ever since reading the "Acclimation Problems" section in this article. Actually that whole article is a great read.. But I have friends that swear by other methods and wont take any of my crap. Of course they might just be getting over the shock of the move or what not. I've had several snails that have just hung out in one spot for periods of time then snap out of it. If the Astras fall over be sure to pick them up. They cannot right themselves.

• Like 1

Oddly enough thats how ceriths lay eggs. Pass out some cigars. I'm a firm believer in drip acclimation ever since reading the "Acclimation Problems" section in this article. Actually that whole article is a great read.. But I have friends that swear by other methods and wont take any of my crap. Of course they might just be getting over the shock of the move or what not. I've had several snails that have just hung out in one spot for periods of time then snap out of it. If the Astras fall over be sure to pick them up. They cannot right themselves.

As usual, great information Super CatPig. What are the chances of these baby snails hatching and having a few survive? Is that common or is it more likely that other tank inhabitants (if I had them) would get to the eggs before then? Also, do you have a favorite LFS for buying fish? Right now, I think I'm leaning toward SeaScape, but I want to check out Saltwater Island first, because I hear good things. You told me to avoid Tropical World Pets and Gateway Aquatics and The Corner Reef didn't impress me (maybe for coral, as I can dip them, but not for fish). Though the guys at The Corner Reef were cool - they gave me the 4 snails for free, so I do owe them.

• CUC: the Cerith is kicka**! He goes all over (currently buried in the LS), but the three Astreas (while seemingly alive) are pretty boring and seldom move. I think I'll be ordering the rest of my CUC from reefcleaners next week, assuming these snails survive the weekend and confirm that my tank is cycled. Considering the cleanliness of my tank, would it be wise to begin keeping my lights on now that I have some snails? Maybe that'll help grow some algae for the critters to survive. Or, maybe I sound really dumb by suggesting ways to get algae growing?
  • Filtration: now that it's almost livestock time, I plan on adding my IM Desktop Skimmer to the tank (just waiting to hear back from IM on their setup "tricks"), as well as my InTank media basket (floss, purigen, chemi-pure) and IM stock media basket. I hope to get all this added early next week, just before I add the rest of my CUC.
  • Fish: I also think I've decided that my first fish will be the Wheeler Goby, and will hopefully pair him with a Tiger Pistol Shrimp. Hopefully, I can add those guys a couple weeks after the CUC gets added (my tank is still so clean, the CUC will need some poo to eat!). Any suggestions on whether I should add the shrimp or goby first? A black/white and orange/white ocellaris clown pair will follow and round out the tank. Also, I plan on forcing myself to allow the LFS I buy from to quarantine the fish for me for a couple weeks. The LFS offered and it seems like I'd kick myself later if passed up that offer...what's another two weeks?!
  • New Goodies: I just placed an order with BRS for a few things...the IM AccuDrip (no more float acclimating!), TDS meter (want to make sure I trust my ATO reservoir and RO/DI from the LFS before fish are introduced), Salifert Nitrate and Phosphate tests, Coral RX, Eheim Tongs, Spectrum Thera+A Formula pellets (for whoever, but mainly for the clowns - feed 3x per week), Two Little Fishies PhytoPlan (feed 1-2x per week for corals), and I also plan on buying some frozen mysis shrimp locally (feed 1-2x per week for the goby/shrimp). Do any of my diet plans seem out of whack?
Super CatPig

Not sure if they would survive. I haven't even had any luck with adult ceriths (Though I think my hermits have had great success with them!)

I'm sorry I totally forgot and didn't really elaborate on Tropical World Pets. For fish I would buy them no problem. Their coral tanks look cleaner than they ever have ATM but they have always had a dinoflagellate problem that has caused me to shy away from their coral. Also don't buy peppermints there because I had a bad run in with one that ate a torch. He never bothered my frogspawn or any other coral but he devoured my torch right after I introduced it. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it. Fish and inverts there are ok otherwise IMO. I usually stop by there a lot since they are so close if nothing else to buy phytoplankton or check out their fresh water stuff for my girlfriend's tank.

Seascape has some great stuff. I worry a bit about how fast they move inventory though.. but I'm sure they would hold stuff for ya. If I see something I must have there I buy it. Saltwater Island is kind of small so I don't really go there much. Not a lot of stuff to look at. I haven't checked out the Corner Reef though I'll have to go sometime. :)

My favorite place to buy fish was always Marine Solutions. Haven't been there in a looong time though and its way up in St. Charles. They told me they wouldn't sell me the new stock until they had been there a few days. That kind of care meant something to me and their fish looked nice. :)

I would leave the lights on. Any algae that grows lowers nitrates and snails like that crap too. ;)